Windows 10: Bitlocker with TPM and Offline Password Editor

Discus and support Bitlocker with TPM and Offline Password Editor in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, If I enable Bitlocker with TPM (i.e. no passcode required on boot-up), and I have the Local Administrator account enabled on the machine (with... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by garydexter, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Bitlocker with TPM and Offline Password Editor

Hi,

If I enable Bitlocker with TPM (i.e. no passcode required on boot-up), and I have the Local Administrator account enabled on the machine (with my normal user account as a standard account), would it be possible for someone with a Hirens Boot CD blank/reset the Local Administrator account password and then gain access to the PC/Laptop using a tool such as this: Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor

Should I be enabling the PIN/Password protection on BitLocker, or does BitLocker prevent these sorts of tools from being used?

Thanks,

Gary

:)

garydexter, Jan 22, 2016
  2. CraigLong Win User

remove bitlocker encryption

Hi Leon,

I use a password to unlock the drive. You shouldn't have to use the recovery key to get in each time.

That's what the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) device does is to store the encryption key for you so you don't have to enter anything. Do you have a TPM on your motherboard?

I don't have any TPM on my computers so I just followed this article to enable Bitlocker in the Local Group Policy Editor and then I selected to use the password option:

How to Use BitLocker Without a Trusted Platform Module (TPM)

How to Set Up BitLocker Encryption on Windows

CraigLong, Jan 22, 2016
  3. Bitlocker on my newer model laptop with TPM chip

I am sorry but the link that you provided was of no use. My bitlocker is apparently working as it should on this Samsung S9 laptop which has a TPM chip, but no TPM module. I took it to a computer shop to discover that the module is missing. We also turned
    off bitlocker and the laptop decrypted in about 20 minutes. That is fast considering that there is 80GB+ data on its SSD hard drive.

I am no happy that my laptop boots up directly to the Windows password screen. I need it to boot up the the bitlocker password screen first.

Do I possibly need to change the settings on my TPM chip equipped (but not TPM module equipped) laptop as I did on my desktop PCs that do not have TPM chips? On those I changed the settings to authenticate without TPM.

Please help me figure out how to make my laptop boot to the bitlocker password screen before proceeding to the Windows password screen.

RichardKing LUTCF CLU ChFC, Jan 22, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

Bitlocker with TPM and Offline Password Editor

No. If the boot order is changed then it will prompt for your bitlocker password (the really long 25 digit one).

Secondly even if your bios was set to boot USB first the drive is encrypted so you couldn't do anything with it anyway without unlocking it first. I don't think Hirens has bitlocker support (only TrueCrypt) but even if you have bitlocker support you still need to unlock the drive.

Some boot USBs can unlock bitlocker drives automatically (like Adding BitLocker support to Windows PE - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase) but you would have to make a conscious decision to do this and leave the USB where you saved the keys plugged in.

Thema:

Bitlocker with TPM and Offline Password Editor

1. Bitlocker with TPM and Offline Password Editor - Similar Threads - Bitlocker TPM Offline

2. Bitlocker with TPM, password, usbkey or yubikey

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker with TPM, password, usbkey or yubikey: Hi, Which would be more secure? BitLocker with TPM, password, and usb-key or yubikey? I believe I know how to configure the 3-factor combo in Windows 10 pro, but not the yubikey. Thank-You! 182280
  3. Bitlocker/TPM USB key/password question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker/TPM USB key/password question: [ATTACH] Hi! Just a question about Bitlocker/Trusted Platform Module (TPM). Because my PC doesn't have a TPM chip built in, everyone is saying I need a security password and a USB to store the authentication key. But, as pictured, my PC says "and/or." Do I need the USB...
  4. TPM BITLOCKER LOST PASSWORD TO UNLOCK THE OTHER DRIVES

TPM BITLOCKER LOST PASSWORD TO UNLOCK THE OTHER DRIVES: Dear Microsoft Team, I lost the password of the drives D: and E: see the image attached, passwors are masked but not the C: drive Is there any solution to change it or recover it with TPM management ? [ATTACH]...
  5. Password Reset with Offline Password & Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Password Reset with Offline Password & Registry Editor: Does this tool support Windows 10? A lot of folks suggest this tool for password reset but it seems not working on my ThinkPad laptop with Windows 10. At the final step, I typed 1 to clear the password but it says password can not be blanked. submitted by /u/frankzzk...
  6. Bitlocker with TPM

Bitlocker with TPM: Hi , I,m not sure if this is the right place to post this . Anyway , My query is about encryption on win10 pro . Previously I had a laptop with no TPM so I had to us the group policy editor to allow encryption to work , fine ,all was working and I had to type a password...
  7. Bitlocker...TPM + PIN vs Password?

Bitlocker...TPM + PIN vs Password?: I have seen this question asked elsewhere several times, but with different answers...so I just want to make sure my understanding of BitLocker is correct. In the past, I had used BitLocker on several computers that did Not have a TPM...therefore I had to use a strong...
  8. BitLocker not requiring password at boot. (Without TPM)

BitLocker not requiring password at boot. (Without TPM): I've recently installed bitlocker on my computer. Although windows says my C: drive is encrypted; I am not asked for my decryption password when i boot the computer. I get put straight into the login screen. I've done the necessary steps to enable bitlocker without TPM but...
  9. Bitlocker, TPM, BIOS PASSWORD, help on interaction of these

Bitlocker, TPM, BIOS PASSWORD, help on interaction of these: Tech help requested Bitlocker, TPM, AMI Bios and TPM, SAmsung TabPro S (windows) computer tablet Tech requests to AMI bios and to samsung, for clarification of these items, has been USELESS. I have the tablet, with Bitlocker enabled. I do NOT have a PIN enabled for...
  10. Bitlocker (without TPM) password login replaced by orange stripes

Bitlocker (without TPM) password login replaced by orange stripes: I'm having a problem that the Bitlocker password screen which appears when I switch on has been replaced by a pattern of vertical orange/ brown stripes. [img] The main laptop I use day-to-day has been running Windows 8/8.1 Pro since not long after Win8 was released- I...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker offline password editor