Windows 10: BitLocker with TPM mode protection only?

Discus and support BitLocker with TPM mode protection only? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a laptop which is a Dell E6440 and was just wondering if it vulnerable to these DMA attacks through Thunderbolt and Firewire methods. Reason... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Oct 4, 2017.

1. BitLocker with TPM mode protection only?

I have a laptop which is a Dell E6440 and was just wondering if it vulnerable to these DMA attacks through Thunderbolt and Firewire methods.

Reason asking, is because I have BitLocker full disk encryption turned ON with TPM-Only protection (meaning no PIN).
    Would this be fine or how can I tell if my laptop is vulnerable to DMA or Memory attacks?

Overall, is it OK to use BitLocker with TPM-only protection or do I need a PIN as well?

:)

win10freak, Oct 4, 2017
  2. mehdibens Win User

Bitlocker without TPM on Windows 10

Hello!

So I've looked online in Technet and other websites and found that BitLocker can work with or without a TPM. I also found that using the TPM, BitLocker can lock decryption keys in it for a safer release of those when the system starts. I also understand
    that the TPM allows for BitLocker enabled systems to perform integrity scans before the OS starts. My questions is that when used without a TPM, and besides the integrity verification feature that's absent in that case, is the information in my drive still
    protected correctly? I mean, if an attacker steals my computer without having the USB key on which the startup key was stored and without access to recovery keys and other unlocking mechanisms, is my data still as safely encrypted and protected as with the
    TPM. I'm particularly talking about privacy here. I understand what other features are missing such as Safe Boot and other TPM related security features of BitLocker. I mean BitLocker doesn't store the keys somewhere else in the drive that's protected right?
    otherwise they'll be no real protection.

Thank you!

mehdibens, Oct 4, 2017
  3. Jasonpb Win User
    Hello Fingerprint authentication doesn't work when Bitlocker TPM is enabled

I have Bitlocker enabled using TPM authentication. However, now Hello fingerprint authentication does not work to log in. If I "suspend protection" for Bitlocker, fingerprint authentication works just fine. But does not work when I re-enable Bitlocker
    protection.

Anyone else see this?

Jasonpb, Oct 4, 2017
Thema:

BitLocker with TPM mode protection only?

1. BitLocker with TPM mode protection only? - Similar Threads - BitLocker TPM mode

2. extend bitlocker protection with pin, usb pen drive, or TPM

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    extend bitlocker protection with pin, usb pen drive, or TPM: Hi, I was reading elsewhere, and not covered by this guide, that I could extend bitlocker protection with a pin and even an usb pen drive in addition to the key stored in the tpm. Is there a simple step by the step guide that shows you how to do this correctly? I was briefly...
  3. Can't enable BitLocker with TPM only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't enable BitLocker with TPM only: I'm having a hard time getting BitLocker to work the same way on my newly built desktop as it does on my Surface Pro 3, i.e. the drive is unlocked instantly with the TPM and I go straight to the windows login screen. When I try to configure BitLocker it just wants me to plug...
  4. Bitlocker and TPM-Security

Bitlocker and TPM-Security: Questions about bit-locker and TPM-security for latest windows 10 version 1909 and up or lower. I’m looking on the web some answer confuse more then it resolves anything. and i want something to easely fall back for myself and other people 1 Do you require to clear...
  5. BitLocker asked to unlock external SSD, but is TPM protected, help!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BitLocker asked to unlock external SSD, but is TPM protected, help!: Good evening, My Asus Zenbook UX430 UA crashed, and before I send it out for repairs (from what I see, the motherboard is kaput), I wanted to retrieve confidential documents from my SSD. I put it in an external drive caddy, which I connected to my spare laptop, an old...
  6. BitLocker, TPM and a Ryzen

in Windows 10 Support
    BitLocker, TPM and a Ryzen: I simply love the BitLocker functionality. I've always used it and still using for my Intel laptop without TPM, but with a small change in Group Policy to skip TPM and use a password on every boot... and it simply working. Hovewer, now I've a AMD PC with Ryzen 1700x onboard....
  7. Windows 10 BitLocker w/ TPM-Only authentication

Windows 10 BitLocker w/ TPM-Only authentication: I recently installed Windows 10 on a new computer I built. I then decided to encrypt my drives, so I installed a TPM on my motherboard. It is enabled in BIOS and properly recognized in Windows' Device Manager. However, when I tried to encrypt my OS drive, things didn't go so...
  8. Bitlocker with TPM

Bitlocker with TPM: Hi , I,m not sure if this is the right place to post this . Anyway , My query is about encryption on win10 pro . Previously I had a laptop with no TPM so I had to us the group policy editor to allow encryption to work , fine ,all was working and I had to type a password...
  9. Bitlocker - Win 10 - TPM 2.0 - Legacy Mode

Bitlocker - Win 10 - TPM 2.0 - Legacy Mode: Hi all, we are planing the rollout of Windows 10 in our company via SCCM. This will be done to new notebooks from Dell which have TPM 2.0 onboard and we want to use Bitlocker on them. Unfortunately Bitlocker could not be actived on them. On my researches I found out, that we...
  10. How to Use Bitlocker on Only Non System Drive and without TPM

How to Use Bitlocker on Only Non System Drive and without TPM: I want to use Bitlocker on my Non System E Drive without TPM. I read somewhere to do the following for without TPM: " Under Local Computer Policy navigate to Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Bit Locker Drive Encryption \ Operating...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker TPM only

2. is bitlocker using tpm only safe

3. bitlocker with tpm-only mode

4. bitlocker with TPM only