Windows 10: BitLocker won't turn on; system can't find file (Windows 10 Pro).

Discus and support BitLocker won't turn on; system can't find file (Windows 10 Pro). in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a hybrid drive with three partitions. I want to encrypt the two non-system partitions. One is working, and one isn't. Pre-encryption, this is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Aaron, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Aaron Win User

BitLocker won't turn on; system can't find file (Windows 10 Pro).

I have a hybrid drive with three partitions. I want to encrypt the two non-system partitions. One is working, and one isn't. Pre-encryption, this is the set-up:

BitLocker won't turn on; system can't find file (Windows 10 Pro). [​IMG]

The E drive is currently in the process of encrypting, apparently without any problem. But while attempting to encrypt my C drive, when I try to turn on BitLocker, it tells me "The system cannot find the file specified." (I tried it both before and after starting to encrypt E.)

BitLocker won't turn on; system can't find file (Windows 10 Pro). [​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Aaron, Sep 7, 2017
  2. mlg63 Win User

Disabling BitLocker

What version of Windows 10? Windows 10 Home that comes on almost all computers doesn't have Bitlocker so you won't find it if you have Home. Only Pro and Enterprise have Bitlocker. Check with Remix to see if it is compatible with windows 10. That might
    be the problem, not bitlocker.

mlg63, Sep 7, 2017
  3. FormUser Win User
    Planning to upgrade and rebuild

Thanks for the comments, but the project is much, much broader.

After doing further research, I think the project has to be chopped up into smaller, more manageable steps. Basically, do an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 Pro first, then make sure that the system works as expected, and only then do a clean upgrade to Windows
    10 Pro. The planning steps are (currently) as follows, with open questions identified.

Step 1: Do an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. This will give me the digital entitlement for Windows 10 Pro, even if I subsequently do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Open questions for step 1:

• Do I need to suspend BitLocker on the internal HDD and turn off BitLocker on Storage Spaces/File History prior to the in-place upgrade? Or what BitLocker-related precautions should I take? I like to retain the BitLocker USB key if possible (?)
    • Can I keep the Storage Spaces/File History attached for the in-place upgrade or do I need to detach the Storage Spaces/File History for the in-place upgrade?
    • As a refresher, for Storage Spaces, I use 2 identical external USB HDDs in a mirror configuration, which is used for File History. I call this Storage Spaces/File History

Step 2: Live with the in-place upgrade for at least a week or two, to make sure that the entire Windows 10 Pro system works as expected, including:

• internal HDD with BitLocker drive encryption enabled
    • Storage Spaces/File History with BitLocker drive encryption and auto-unlock enabled
    • System boots with the same (if possible?) BitLocker USB key

Step 3: Turn off BitLocker system-wide (on the internal HDD and on Storage Spaces/File History) prior to the clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Turning off BitLocker system-wide seems to be the least troublesome option in preparation for the clean install
    of Windows Pro, although this may (?) require a new key in the BitLocker USB key after the clean install of Windows 10 Pro.

Step 4: Do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, no product key should be required as the digital entitlement has been secured in step 1. Open questions for step 4:

• Do a full reformat (not just a quick reformat) of the internal HDD first, as I do not want to rely merely on deleting partitions during the re-install procedure (Do I need a third party app to do a full reformat or will a native Windows utility do
      the job?)
    • Create the ISO file and do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. I believe I need to detach Storage Spaces/File History during the clean install of Windows 10 Pro (?)

Step 5: Re-install all my apps, re-do the configurations/settings.

Step 6: Re-attach Storage Spaces/File History and restore all my files.

Step 7: Turn on BitLocker system-wide with a new key (?) in the BitLocker USB key, including auto-unlock of Storage Spaces/File History.

The clean installed Windows 10 Pro system should now work with BitLocker enabled.

I keep researching the open questions in the above as well as the issues marked with question marks. Any help appreciated BitLocker won't turn on; system can't find file (Windows 10 Pro). :)

FormUser, Sep 7, 2017
Thema:

BitLocker won't turn on; system can't find file (Windows 10 Pro).

1. BitLocker won't turn on; system can't find file (Windows 10 Pro). - Similar Threads - BitLocker won't turn

2. I can't find BitLocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't find BitLocker: I can't find BitLocker on my Microsoft account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-find-bitlocker/9cfed65a-7da9-4401-a266-3c6db5b90a99
  3. can't find bitlocker key

can't find bitlocker key: My pc has been off fo ra month and now there is a bitclocker recovery key needed i can't find my key on my account even though that on the website i have this pc included in my account devices what can i do...
  4. Bitlocker Error: The system cannot find the file specified

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker Error: The system cannot find the file specified: I was encrypting my Drive "D" and system got shutdown due to power loss. After turning on the system I was unable to decrypt the drive. I'm receiving the error "The system cannot find the file specified" while entering the password. I tried below steps but nothing...
  5. Bitlocker Error: The system cannot find the file specified

Bitlocker Error: The system cannot find the file specified: I was encrypting my Drive "D" and system got shutdown due to power loss. After turning on the system I was unable to decrypt the drive. I'm receiving the error "The system cannot find the file specified" while entering the password. I tried below steps but nothing...
  6. Can't encrypt system drive with bitlocker - Windows 10 pro and TPM activated

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't encrypt system drive with bitlocker - Windows 10 pro and TPM activated: Hello Community,I have a problem I can't solve by myself. Since 2 days, I am trying to encrypt my system C: drive with BitLocker. To clarify, I have a Windows 10 Pro license and my TPM is activated I think. Still, I get an error when trying to encrypt my drive. Windows and...
  7. Can't find file system properties

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't find file system properties: Hi, I am on windows 20H2. I can't find the "file system properties" described herehttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/disabling-the-write-behind-caching-setting-does-not-disable-all-write-behind-caching-on-the-system-78592eac-fab2-5043-296b-744e032a1cc4Is it just me or...
  8. Windows 10 Pro - Turn Bitlocker on

Windows 10 Pro - Turn Bitlocker on: Hi, I've just upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 Pro and went to turn Bitlocker on and got this message: This device cannot use a Trusted Platform Module. Your administrator must set Allow Bitlocker without a compatible TPM" option in thr "Require additional authentication...
  9. Bitlocker: The system cannot find the file specified

Bitlocker: The system cannot find the file specified: I recently decrypted my Bitlocked C: drive, then cleared and reset the TPM and rebooted as instructed. Now when I tried to encrypt C: with Bitlocker, I receive the error message “The system cannot find the file specified”? I am running Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, Build...
  10. Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker wont turn on

2. bitlocker the system cannot find the file

3. windows 10 bitlocker the system cannot find the file specified

4. bitlocker wont turn on windows 10,
  5. activate bitlocker windows 10 error the system cannot find file specified,
  6. cant turn on bitlocker windows 10,
  7. bitlocker system cannot find the file specified,
  8. cannot turn on bitlocker windows 10,
  9. bitlocker cant find file,
  10. sophos bit locker cannot find file specified on lenovo p50,