Windows 10: BITS keeps downloading Windows 10 in background

Discus and support BITS keeps downloading Windows 10 in background in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone! Yesterday I was able to upgrade for free to Windows 10 from Windows 7. And to be honest I'm don't really like to upgrade, I always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EdKode, Jul 30, 2015.

1. EdKode Win User

BITS keeps downloading Windows 10 in background

Hello everyone!

Yesterday I was able to upgrade for free to Windows 10 from Windows 7. And to be honest I'm don't really like to upgrade, I always want to do a fresh install when I have to change my operating system. And from what I read on some blogs, there are issues with the activation of Windows 10 that can only be fixed by upgrading to Windows 10 and then from there to make a bootable USB using their Windows 10 Tool.
    So I did that. I upgraded from Windows 10 using their app and now I want to make the USB stick for a fresh install. The problem is that today, when I put Windows 10 to download, for some reason my house ran out of power for few seconds and for some reason. Exactly then. What are the chances? Anyway, I won't go into details, let's just asume it is the same thing as running out of batery on a laptop.
    I restarted the computer and tried to continue the thing. But then there was a problem. When I re-run the Windows 10 Download Tool I got this error: https://i.imgur.com/EUtHfio.png
    I looked on C:\ and found these 2 folders (https://i.imgur.com/2RTIgTE.png) that includes, I guess, the .iso with Windows 10? https://i.imgur.com/0R76Sm6.png
    So I tried to delete that folder and start over with the Tool. But I couldn't delete the folder because it was used in a program. Then I found that the program was a service, which is BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service). I stopped the service and managed to delete the folders and then i tried to run the Tool again. It starts, it gives me the option to chose the edition, the architecture and so on, but then when it tries to download, it starts BITS again.
    And then there is another problem. BITS is already downloading something even if I have the Tool open or not, and that something I think is already the Windows 10 from the previous attempt. And that makes the download from the Windows 10 Tool even slower, because it downloads both of them.
    Now, after few hours, it still downloads in background and I don't know what and for how long. I have the tool closed, but BITS is still downloading something. https://i.imgur.com/wWWpnzN.png
    If I stop BITS from services, it stops downloading. But I can't keep BITS turned off, it affects Windows Update and many things, and also I can't download Windows 10 with the Tool because it uses it.

I mean, what kind of bug is this and how can I solve it? Thank you!

:)

EdKode, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Tuffkirby Win User

Windows Update "Upgrade To Windows 10 | FAILED Many times when it retrys! >>>CLOSED<<<

Dude, It Downloads through the background and when it finishes, The Windows 10 app asks if you want to install it. My problem is that it won't download through the background and keeps saying fail.

Tuffkirby, Jul 30, 2015
  3. BITS always running in background.

Hi Dushyant,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is a component of

Microsoft Windows

and later operating systems that facilitates prioritized, throttled, and asynchronous transfer of files between machines using idle network bandwidth. It is most commonly used by recent versions of
    Windows Update,

Microsoft Update
    Windows Server Update Services
    and
    Systems Management Server to deliver

software updates
    to clients,
    Microsoft
    's anti-virus scanner
    Microsoft Security Essentials

BITS uses idle
    bandwidth
    to transfer data. Normally, BITS transfer’s data in the background. BITS will only transfer data whenever there is bandwidth which is not being used by other applications. BITS also supports resuming transfers
    in case of disruptions.

It is not recommended to disable the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), as it is required to download the latest updates related to Microsoft/Windows/Server through the Windows updates which will help the Windows to run effectively.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jul 30, 2015
  4. BITS keeps downloading Windows 10 in background

I ran into something similar and just reset WU. I think you're going to have to purge the SoftwareDistribution folder to get rid of the issue.

cyberrufus, Jul 30, 2015
  5. EdKode Win User
    Reset WU? Can you give me some details about that? And what do you mean with 'purge the SoftwareDistribution'. I need to delete that folder from Windows?

EdKode, Jul 30, 2015
  6. I use a batch script that I've had for a while to reset WU and it takes care of that folder. If you search for reset WU it'll probably pull a few of them up. I might have gotten mine from the Seven forum.

Edit: DOS Script to Reset Windows Update Agent

There it is.

cyberrufus, Jul 30, 2015
  7. EdKode Win User
    Yep, that actually seems to work. Now there's nothing downloading when the Tool isn't opened, and even when it is, it doesn't.
    In that folder I only have one big .tmp file (which I think is the iso of Windows 10) instead of 5 I had before and the download works normaly. I'm even on 5% in less than one minute instead of 5% an hour I would when all of those 5 iso images downloaded at the same time. LOL
    Thank you so much for your help! *Smile +rep

EdKode, Jul 31, 2015
  8. BITS keeps downloading Windows 10 in background

Glad you seem to have got it resolved.*Smile

cyberrufus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

BITS keeps downloading Windows 10 in background

1. BITS keeps downloading Windows 10 in background - Similar Threads - BITS keeps downloading

2. Windows download 64 bit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows download 64 bit: I'm trying to download but I get a profile error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-download-64-bit/12cc1dec-e730-4e3d-ac33-b55ca255c109
  3. window 10 64 bit download problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    window 10 64 bit download problem: So as the title said, I have a problem when I tried to download window 10 64 bit with my usb stick32 gb I've currently have window 10 32 bit right now, I also tried to download the media creation tool from another computer as well, but it doesn't work, any help? Problem:...
  4. window 10 64 bit download problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    window 10 64 bit download problem: So as the title said, I have a problem when I tried to download window 10 64 bit with my usb stick32 gb I've currently have window 10 32 bit right now, I also tried to download the media creation tool from another computer as well, but it doesn't work, any help? Problem:...
  5. window 10 64 bit download problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. background downloads

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    background downloads: i have data caps, so i have metered connection turned on for windows 10, but so far this month windows downloaded almost 10 gigs in the background, im assuming it was windows 11, since i have the this computer isnt compatible with windows 11 thing showing up on windows update...
  7. Background Intelligent Service BITS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Background Intelligent Service BITS: Hey, so i have a bit of a problem with BITS When i reinstall my Windows, its working fine, running till i stop it. After i restart my pc BITS will stop after 2 minutes of running. I checked the services and every time when I set it to Automatic and then start it, it will stop...
  8. Windows 10 download of 32-bit files

Windows 10 download of 32-bit files: I have downloaded a Sony zipped file of 32-bit drivers for a video camera. While this has installed on the Win10 PC, trying to install it on an off-line XP system gives an error message "not a 32-bit file". Is there any way I can work round this as I would like to use the...
  9. downloading in the background?

downloading in the background?: Hello. I keep seeing my gigs being used even though I am not doing anything on my computer. I have already done the following: 1. Shut off background apps 2. Turned off automatic download of apps 3. Turned off live tiles 4. Turned off automatic updates for my...
  10. Windows 10 and background downloads.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 and background downloads.: Hi there I tried Windows 10 a few weeks ago, just for a day because i wanted to see what it was like. I went back to my windows 7 install as I think its wise to wait to SP1 on such a new OS before really considering it. There was one thing that worried me slightly when...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bits keeps on downloading