Windows 10: bizarre character in Standard Digits

Discus and support bizarre character in Standard Digits in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a really odd issue where a vertical bar appears in all paths in explorer, on the system clock and explorer date/time stamps. you can see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alchemist2016, Jun 15, 2016.

1. bizarre character in Standard Digits

Hi, I have a really odd issue where a vertical bar appears in all paths in explorer, on the system clock and explorer date/time stamps.
    you can see examples below. I've reset my regional settings, and checked the registry for standard digits, sNativeDigits, but all looks ok. in Customize format for digits, I have an odd character before '0' but it is not present in the registry.
    does anyone know how to get rid of these lines, character?
    many thanks for your time
    Pete

bizarre character in Standard Digits [​IMG]

:)

alchemist2016, Jun 15, 2016

2. Problem with WLAN in Nokia N82

Hi,

It appears that Nokia haven’t implemented the standard fully. According to our router the Pre-Shared Key Format should be either 8-63 characters OR 64 Hex digits.

See the section on “Security in pre-shared key mode”

Wi-Fi Protected Access - Wikipedia

But the N82 is only accepting the 8-63 character setting not the Hex option.

richard_n---01, Jun 15, 2016
  3. Windows Defender

Sherold,

The simple answer is Malwarebytes is finding cookies.

`~`

This test file has been provided to EICAR for distribution as the "EICAR Standard Anti-Virus Test File".

It is safe to pass around, because it is not a virus, and does not include any fragments of viral code. Most products react to it as if it were a virus (though they typically report it with an obvious name, such as "EICAR-AV-Test").

The file is a legitimate DOS program, and produces sensible results when run (it prints the message "EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!").

It is also short and simple - in fact, it consists entirely of printable ASCII characters, so that it can easily be created with a regular text editor. Any anti-virus product that supports the EICAR test file should detect it in any file providing that the
    file starts with the following 68 characters, and is exactly 68 bytes long:

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

The first 68 characters is the known string. It may be optionally appended by any combination of whitespace characters with the total file length not exceeding 128 characters. The only whitespace characters allowed are the space character, tab, LF, CR, CTRL-Z.
    To keep things simple the file uses only upper case letters, digits and punctuation marks, and does not include spaces.

The only thing to watch out for when typing in the test file is that the third character is the capital letter "O", not the digit zero.

If you want to see WD Real Time Protection in action, try the EICAR the test file...

You can safely verify the product's working. If you haven't seen Windows Defender detect something,

Just copy and paste this X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H* into NotePad and save it as a
    Virus.com or any name providing it has a .com extension then scan the file or folder to see if you virus checker picks it up.

`~`

José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Jun 15, 2016
  4. RWOne Win User

bizarre character in Standard Digits

When did the issue begin and what was the last change to the system prior to that?

Try a system restore point before the event.

RWOne, Jun 15, 2016
  5. What other options are available in the Std digits dropdown box?

Did you try the Reset button?

Slartybart, Jun 15, 2016
  6. Hi, yes I have tried Reset, fixes nothing. AMD GPU drivers are up to date.
    I would restore to an earlier date, if I had restore points.. they are set on, but with 0% available. joy. must have happened when I upgraded my ssd a while ago.
    I cannot honestly remember when it started.. its one of those annoyances, "I'll live with it, maybe it will go away, ok, now I need to look into it", type things..
    other options in the Standard Digits drop down all have 10 digits, but English has 11, with the weird character before 0.
    any other options/thoughts?
    cheers
    Pete

alchemist2016, Jun 16, 2016
    • Do you have any language packs installed?
      If you do, try uninstalling them as a test

• What happens if you use Measurement System: US instead of Metric

• Not sure if this will help, but it won't hurt

Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
      Right click the Windows icon Attachment 85406 (aka Start button) on the taskbar

Enter the following commands:
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC /ScanNow
      If there are any errors on the screen after the commands run,
      Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs
      Right click the CBS folder
      Select Send to > Compressed (zip) folder
      answer yes to place on DesktopAttach the zip folder to your next post
      Full tutorials:
      Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" Tool in Command Prompt
      Run SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 10

Bill

Slartybart, Jun 16, 2016
  7. bizarre character in Standard Digits

Hi, so I have already ran the sfc /scannow.. it repaired some files.. upon a reboot, nothing changed. however, this is where is get really weird, in a good way. last night, before doing anything, I did a backup using Acronis 2016.. then I ran ccleaner (which I never use, since in my experience it breaks more than it fixes) and surprise, surprise nothing got fixed.. then I started faffing with keyboard and language settings.. anyway, notepad started crashing whenever I typed anything, MS word repaired itself, and my keyboard was stuck on US settings (@ and " where transposed) Grrrr. I was getting grumpy now so I decided to restore to my pre-ccleaner backup. Acrons crashed and could not find the backup.. ok.. sleep on it.. this morning, tried again, failed, repeatedly trying different options until Acronis deleted the C: partition. I had asked it to recover the partition not the disk, but it crashed.. and wiped the partition. diskpart showed me an empty partition. no knowing if the data was recoverable (bloody Acronis) I decided my last hope was to find an Acronis 2016 boot ISO and manually find the backup and restore.. after I exited the other end of that rabbit hole, I started a recovery.. ..which worked! yay! and now for the weird part. I had had this weird issue with the weird lines for weeks, and it was certainly evident before I took the backup, since that was why I took the backup, in case I made things worse.. and now the lines are gone. that icon on the Standard Digits has gone, and all is good.. so I look at my backup and I see that the backup I restored from was April.. not June.. sometimes I am an idiot. but the problem is gone now and I'm happy with that result. I guess I now need to keep an eye on when it comes back, if it comes back, what caused it.. anyway, thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. it warms my heart that there are people out there who take the time to reply and try to help people.. cheers and good night bizarre character in Standard Digits :)

alchemist2016, Jun 16, 2016
  8. Good news - chalk it up as a win!

When you get the chance - please mark your thread Solved

Thanks,

Bill

Slartybart, Jun 16, 2016
  9. robgr Win User
    Doesn't CCleaner have a rollback mechanism, i.e. doesn't it save the changes as reg file you can restore if required?
    I have to say I gave up on Acronis as it's become a piece of crap, try Macrium (there's a free version available too)

robgr, Jun 16, 2016
  10. yeah, I saved the registry for recovery, but by the time I thought of that I had already gone too far down the path of no return.. funny, I tried to clone my old ssd to the new ssd using Acronis and had horrible results; used Marcim Reflect and it worked perfectly. I think I may ditch Acronis; it is way too buggy and bloated..

alchemist2016, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

bizarre character in Standard Digits

1. bizarre character in Standard Digits - Similar Threads - bizarre character Standard

2. Bizarre audio problem.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bizarre audio problem.: I am experiencing a complete cut from my audio, among other coinciding issues, after using my computer for 5-7 minutes after restart. The problem is resolved temporarily when I reset my computer, however after a short while, my output ceases to play from all audio devices....
  3. Bizarre audio problem.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bizarre audio problem.: I am experiencing a complete cut from my audio, among other coinciding issues, after using my computer for 5-7 minutes after restart. The problem is resolved temporarily when I reset my computer, however after a short while, my output ceases to play from all audio devices....
  4. A bizarre issue...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A bizarre issue...: Hello, Across two entirely separate computers (desktop, laptop) I am having the same issue and Google is not helping me at all. Not a single Windows app will load. On Task Manager they are showing up and appear to be suspended, again, on both computers. I cannot do anything...
  5. Microsoft Digital Image Standard 2006

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Digital Image Standard 2006: About two weeks ago I purchased a HP laptop. Obviously, it came with Windows 10 64 bit. For years, I have used Microsoft Digital Image Standard 2006. I have the disc for it and with my old computer, I would do a complete reformat or restore as it seemed to be and everything...
  6. Problem with non standard character in user folder name

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with non standard character in user folder name: Hi y'all, I've installed windows 10 education on my machine and it consequently named the user folder after my name and surname ( because this license is provided to me by my college ). This is turned out to be a huge problem when it comes to installing any program because my...
  7. Windows is bizarre

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows is bizarre: OK, so here's what's going on: I attemped installing Debian in the Linux side of my laptop and it completely messed Windows up. I managed to get the bootloader working again but now Windows boots to a blank screen. Thinking it was a driver issue or a corrupt hiberfile, I...
  8. Standard Digits setting missing in windows 10 1903

in Windows 10 Support
    Standard Digits setting missing in windows 10 1903: in the 1803 build it's still here Control panel > Region > Additional Settings... [img] but in the build 1903 it's gone. [img] why Microsoft cut this option out ? or they put it elesewhere. Where is it? 135621
  9. Installing Digital Image standard 2006 on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Digital Image standard 2006 on Windows 10?: Hello, I recently purchased a new 64 bit Dell computer that has Windows 10 pre-installed on it. My previous computer as well had Windows 10 installed on it and I was able to run Microsoft Digital Image Standard 2006 without any issues. I have tried "Compatibility Mode" and...
  10. A bizarre problem

in Windows 10 Support
    A bizarre problem: I've had this problem for a while now. The buttons on my taskbar don't work. launching programs works fine, but opening the start menu, volume controller, wifi controller, search do nothing. no errors, no complaints, no freezing. Just. Nothing. Ive been making do with the run...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to restore standard digits in windows 10