Windows 10: Black desktop with no icons after switching accounts

Discus and support Black desktop with no icons after switching accounts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Rarely, after I log into my own account after my father uses this computer, I get a black screen with nothing other than the mouse cursor. I have no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by allam447635, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Black desktop with no icons after switching accounts

Rarely, after I log into my own account after my father uses this computer, I get a black screen with nothing other than the mouse cursor. I have no way out other than to cold boot (which usually fixes the problem, but sometimes it doesn't and that's when CHKDSK comes up). Why does this sometimes happen?

:)

allam447635, Nov 23, 2017

2. Strange startup bug after updating to latest update yesterday (16-1) in Windows 10

I created a new local user account,

logged in and out from it and switched to my original account and back.

In both cases I saw a correct desktop with icons.

After a cold boot and a restart the problem appeared again,

skipping the entire Login screen and logging into an empty desktop automatically, so I could not choose a user at all.

After a reboot the login screen appeared and I could actually choose the new user account and login with it.

This worked. I switched to my new account and signed out and tried a reboot.

This caused a black screen and no desktop at all after reboot.

So i hear the windows login sound but I don't see anything, just black screen.

I had to use a hard reset to reboot after that and the new problem (completely black screen) still persisted.

After my second hard reset I saw a windows logo that said just wait...

and then it asked for my keyboard layout which i could not set,

after hard rebooting from that screen I was able to log in again and I used my old account and luckily it worked again....

hope this description helps a bit...

Tom

TomBenjamins, Nov 23, 2017
  3. YuvG Win User
    Windows 10 auto-arranges desktop icon after switching to different account

Hi,

There is a bug with the new update (build 10586). The desktop icons are getting auto-arranged after switching to a different account on the machine. For example, after I switch to a different account and then get back to my own account, all my desktop icons
    are getting auto arranged without any reason. This is clearly a bug, though I don't know whether it's a known bug which is resolved already.

4. dalchina New Member

Black desktop with no icons after switching accounts

- tends to suggest you have a disk or file system problem.
    What sort of disk(s) do you have? (SSD, HDD, SSHD ...)

Please download, install and run Hard Disk Sentinel and post a screenshot of its GUI.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Then Browse to your image, select it and upload it. E.g. png, jpg. Thanks.

For more guidance
    Take Screenshot in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums Tutorials

If that's ok, then check your file system:

From an admin command or powershell prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

and post the result.

If that's ok, then from an admin command prompt please run
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and post the summary result.

dalchina, Nov 23, 2017
Thema:

Black desktop with no icons after switching accounts

1. Black desktop with no icons after switching accounts - Similar Threads - Black desktop icons

2. Desktop Icons disappeared after switching to virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Icons disappeared after switching to virtual desktop: Hello,I accidentally pressed a shortcut, not sure which one, something like Windows + Control + D, and it switched the desktop.I didn't know about these keys, but when I pressed them, all my icons from my original screen disapperead when switching to the other desktops.Is...
  3. Desktop Icons disappeared after switching to virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons disappeared after switching to virtual desktop: Hello,I accidentally pressed a shortcut, not sure which one, something like Windows + Control + D, and it switched the desktop.I didn't know about these keys, but when I pressed them, all my icons from my original screen disapperead when switching to the other desktops.Is...
  4. Desktop Icons disappeared after switching to virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Desktop icons are black squares

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons are black squares: For a couple weeks now, I have been stuck with these annoying icon thumbnails, and I have run out of ideas to fix the problem. Essentially, when I turn on my computer, all icons on my desktop and only my desktop that are not native to windows appear as these black squares. In...
  6. Black desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Black desktop Icons: Been fighting this problem for a while now and tried everything I could find. Today I came here and found a file to restore the shortcut icon arrow and now all is fine, so far. My question is who at MS thought that a shortcut arrow was a good idea? Also, has anybody tried to...
  7. Desktop icons switched places

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop icons switched places: so for some reason my desktop icons just switched places and now there is a vertical space on the bottom of my screen I can't pace anything in (and no it's not my taskbar ;) ). Ow and one more thing, the browser shortcuts like Spotify.com .... well fsr the icons just shrank...
  8. Black desktop with icons after updating to 2004

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black desktop with icons after updating to 2004: When updating from 18363 to 19041 Windows 10 x64 and after reboot the desktop is black. I had this in June. I had this a few days back. Q: is this a known issue? Yes, I read about black screens-issues, but I don't know whether others are facing screens that are entirely...
  9. Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black: All of my desktop shortcut icons have turned black. I first deleted my Explorer thumbnail cache and then my icon cache. I did not get the icons back to normal until after I deleted the icon cache. But after I shut down and restarted the black icons were back. I went...
  10. Black screen after switching accounts

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen after switching accounts: win key/L....select account..enter pw....get black screen with cursor. ctrl/alt/delete does nothing and suggestions i've tried do nothing. very annoying 22731

Users found this page by searching for:

1. blank desktop after switching to local account