Windows 10: Black screen after 1-8 hours after use or no use

Discus and support Black screen after 1-8 hours after use or no use in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, the title states it all. Out of the blue I started getting a black screen, while playing video games, or comp just sitting idle. If I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by robreefer, Oct 20, 2016.

1. robreefer Win User

Black screen after 1-8 hours after use or no use

Hello all, the title states it all. Out of the blue I started getting a black screen, while playing video games, or comp just sitting idle. If I'm playing a game, audio is fine after both my monitors go black for about 30 seconds, then rig reboots. Rig runs great other wise. No BSOD, the only thing that pops up is a Kernel Power 41 in event log (which states comp was turned off improperly). I have tried re-seating ram and video card. I replaced my power supply with EVGA SuperNOVA 850 T2, 80+ TITANIUM 850W.

Temps are great, CPU never gets above 100F (liquid cooled) Cpu never gets above 140F.

I updated every driver I could. Apparently I can't use the X79 chipset drivers directly from the Intel website, as their latest driver package is not compatible with win10x64 (installer fails, common issue I have found after doing some research). So the chip set drivers were manually updated by right clicking device and searching for driver updates (which all had updates).

None of these things have made any difference. Is there any thing else that any one recommend before I go out and start replacing components one by one? Really don't want to spend $700 on a video card or $1500 on a new MOBO/CPU/RAM setup if that's not the problem.

Edit: Attached is a copy of whats in System info>Software environment> Windows error reporting

:)

robreefer, Oct 20, 2016

2. To save battery during 1/2 hour or 1 or 2 hours, use Airplane Mode or turn OFF then ON?

My phone is a Nokia Lumia 635 Windows 8.1 with only 4 APPs on it. One is Hill Climb game. The others a compass, a directions finder, Twitter and Skype. I don't any very often. But I am a Facebookaholic.

So if I go to the gym, will it make the battery charge last longer if I turn it OFF for that hour or should I put it in Airplane Mode in the locker or shut it OFF?

If at another time I see that it is down to say 20% since that nasty LOUD noise blasts to warn me but if I'm somewhere that I can't charge it, again am I better off to turn it OFF then back on an hour or so later if I'm expecting a text or a call in about
    an hour? Same for 30 minutes or for 2 hours.

And please just try to give me an easy guesstimate Answer. I've read stuff about installing an APP that will measure your phone's battery usage but that's really nit something that I feel qualified or even am motivated to try.

Jeff A. Davis, Oct 20, 2016
  3. To save battery during 1/2 hour or 1 or 2 hours, use Airplane Mode or turn OFF then ON?

You probably already have an app that looks at battery usage, called Battery Saver. In that app, go ahead and select the Conserve battery When Battery is under 20%. That will help keep things from using up battery when you get low. Under the Usage panel,
    you can get an idea what apps are using battery, either when you are using them (In use), or in the background (Background) when you don't have them open, but they are staying up to date. You have the option here, on an app by app basis (tap one) to set whether
    you want to let it do stuff in the background, or just when you explicitly are using it.

Yes, turning the phone off certainly saves battery. That means really off, hold down power until the phone prompts you to slide down to power off. It takes a while to boot back up though. You can absolutely turn on Airplane mode and save a ton of battery.
    The radios, Cell, WiFi, BT, do eat up quite a bit. In fact if you leave the phone in a metal locker, it would be advised to turn on Airplane mode. If a cell phone has trouble reaching a tower, which a metal shielded container would cause, it will boost its
    output to get better reception, draining the battery quite quickly.

If what you need is available via WiFi, and you want to save battery you can turn on Airplane mode, turning off all the radios, and turn just WiFi back on individually. Note you won't get phone calls or texts with just WiFi on, with some exceptions. (Not
    quite sure what happens with T-Mobile's WiFi calling, if you shut off cell entirely. That's for those on T-Mobile)

Sven Johannsen, Oct 20, 2016
  4. Black screen after 1-8 hours after use or no use

One more common “black screen” failure mode is that the computer’s display has stopped working, but the computer itself is still running properly.

waltercarroll, Oct 20, 2016
  5. robreefer Win User
    I should have stated that I have dual monitors, they both turn black at the same time that the event occurs.

robreefer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Black screen after 1-8 hours after use or no use

1. Black screen after 1-8 hours after use or no use - Similar Threads - Black screen hours

2. pc monitor Sounds stops working after 1 hour of use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc monitor Sounds stops working after 1 hour of use: So my monitor has a built in speaker called MSI high definition audio, everything was going well for 2 months then suddenly when i was minding my business the sounds stop working. I checked and the sound setting seemed to be fine. All my drivers are up to date so what could...
  3. pc monitor Sounds stops working after 1 hour of use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pc monitor Sounds stops working after 1 hour of use: So my monitor has a built in speaker called MSI high definition audio, everything was going well for 2 months then suddenly when i was minding my business the sounds stop working. I checked and the sound setting seemed to be fine. All my drivers are up to date so what could...
  4. Black screen after using msconfig -> minimal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after using msconfig -> minimal: I'm planning to use ddu, so I want to turn on safemode on windows 11. I use msconfig -> minimal to enable safe mode, after choosing restart, my screen goes black, my pc still works fine, keyboard works fine, I turn off 3 times and it still got black screen, I used the key...
  5. Black screen after using msconfig -> minimal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen after using msconfig -> minimal: I'm planning to use ddu, so I want to turn on safemode on windows 11. I use msconfig -> minimal to enable safe mode, after choosing restart, my screen goes black, my pc still works fine, keyboard works fine, I turn off 3 times and it still got black screen, I used the key...
  6. Windows 10 keeps freezing up after ~1 hour of use

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 keeps freezing up after ~1 hour of use: I had my computer I assembled for over 5 years. I worked fine until recentlyIt started to freeze up after 1 hour of use, this is what happensThe window interface will stop responding, the programs will still work if I don't click it out of it. It will also freeze up if you...
  7. Black screen with cursor issue only after using VR?

Black screen with cursor issue only after using VR?: Hello! I was wondering if anyone could give me insight for this issue, as I haven't found much info on it. The issue first started when I plugged in my VR headset and the screen froze. I hard powered down using the physical button. When I turned on my computer again,...
  8. My laptop keeps showing DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE blue screen after using 1 hour

My laptop keeps showing DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE blue screen after using 1 hour: Since 2 weeks ago my laptop seems to become slower and keeps showing DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE blue screen after 1 hour using, especially when I open some massive programs like Chrome. And after rebooting, my laptop's cooling fan speeds up within 5 minutes. Recently it has...
  9. Screen going black after not using it for a while

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen going black after not using it for a while: This started today and I don't know why it is happening I tried to do a virus scan to see if it would help but it I didn't. I looked to see if I had some kind of screensaver or some power saving feature on but I didn't. I Think the best information I can give is from the...
  10. Black screen with cursor after being left not used

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen with cursor after being left not used: Hi, I keep getting a black screen with cursor appear on my laptop after I leave it alone for a while (not being used). I have read many forums with similar problems but after login or at boot, for me it just happens randomly when im not using it. I have windows 10 and...