Windows 10: Black screen after latest update, can't get into safe mode

Discus and support Black screen after latest update, can't get into safe mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, My desktop with Windows 10 stopped booting up a few days ago, I updated it and it booted up properly the first time. The computer was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmbabs, May 13, 2017.

1. mmbabs Win User

Black screen after latest update, can't get into safe mode

Hi everyone,

My desktop with Windows 10 stopped booting up a few days ago, I updated it and it booted up properly the first time. The computer was then taking forever to shut down so I force shut it off by holding the power button, and now I get the black screen after the windows boot logo before I can log in. I have it dual booting with Linux, and Linux is working fine but I need Windows working. I've tried entering safe mode, and I can get to the recovery window but then everything is frozen, my keyboard becomes unresponsive. I thought that maybe my NVIDIA drivers needed updating but I can't update them now. I've tried looking for different solutions online and on these forums, but nothing works so far. My mouse cursor does not show up. I created a windows recovery usb and I can get into the recovery screen, however my keyboard and mouse become unresponsive and I cant do anything. The LED's don't even light up when I press caps lock.

Another thing I've noticed now is that sometimes when I turn my desktop on, it'll boot up for a few seconds, then shut down. It'll happen 3-4 times before it finally boots up and runs.

I'm not sure how else to proceed with this and I've tried looking around for help, any help would be greatly appreciated!

:)

mmbabs, May 13, 2017

2. Black screen windows 10 - in safe mode also

After windows 10 update after sign in I get a black screen, I've tried safe mode and it's still black. all troubleshooting advice says once signed into safe mode uninstall devices but I can't get there.

MichelleCollins84, May 13, 2017
  3. BRYANW113 Win User
    Dead after update

After updating windows 10 computer rebooted and now all I get is a black screen with blinking cursor. can't get into windows in order to get to safe mode. Any help would be appreciated.

BRYANW113, May 13, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, check your disk.

Maybe you can do that from Linux. Otherwise download and boot from Kyhi's boot DVD/USB drive available from the top of the Software and Apps section here.

It boots into its version of Win 10, and you can see the list of utilities available when you go to download it.

HDTune is on it; I also recommend Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) which you can download as a portable program.

Please post the result (screenshot/photo) using the icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Thanks.

dalchina, May 13, 2017
  5. mmbabs Win User
    Hello dalchina, thanks for the reply.

I've downloaded Kyhi's boost USB drive and I'm able to get onto the version of Win 10. What results would you like me to post from HDTune? Benchmark, health, error scan, all of these? I tried downloading Hard Disk Sentinel, however I get system errors while trying to start the program. The first is missing icmp.dll and the other is bad referenced memory.

Black screen after latest update, can't get into safe mode [​IMG]

While looking online at what missing icmp.dll is, I found a page saying that it could be an invalid or corrupt registry entry, or a virus/malware infection. When I ran Malwarebyte, I found a few threats aswell.

I'm running tests on HD Tune and Ill post the images once it's all done.

mmbabs, May 13, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, the idea of running the portable version of Hard Disk Sentinel is so you could simply put it on a flash drive e.g. and having booted from Kyhi's disk, then run the exe from the flash drive.

Portable Hard Disk Sentinel Professional Download
    There's a link to the portable version.

I have just downloaded it and run it- you can see the zip file, its contents in Winrar, which I extracted to a folder on my desktop.
    In file explorer you can see the executable to use in that folder.
    Finally you see the result of running it.

Hope that works for you.

In either case, you should be able to quickly see if there are any disk problems. I'm not personally familiar with HDTune.

All that said, your disk is just one basic element in this of course.

I should also ask of course- what sort of disk is it?

And which build of Windows is installed? - as it won't boot, you may not know the build number, but hopefully you know if it's the Anniversary Update (1607) or the current Creator's build.

dalchina, May 13, 2017
  7. mmbabs Win User
    Thanks for the reply.

I've downloaded and extracted the file from your link, however when I try to run the executable, I get the System error message telling me that icmp.dll is missing from my computer. Any software I try to install will also give me the same message. Also explorer keeps disappearing now after the icmp.dll message.

My windows is installed on an SSD, Linux is on on an HDD. Do you think it could possibly be my SSD? From Kyhi's disk, I can still access my SSD files such as images or other documents.

I believe that I am on the Creator's build. My system updated a day or two before this entire problem arose. I don't recall downloading any new software after the updated.

mmbabs, May 14, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, odd.

So HDTune works for HDD's and SSD's so a health and error check seem appropriate - on both disks.

Assuming that's ok, as you can't boot to Windows (normal or safe mode), your options are more limited.

Determine your installed Windows version
    Using Kyhi's disk, open your Windows folder (on your SSD) and find explorer.exe
    Right click it, Properties, Details. You should see a version number.
    Please post it.

If you have the CU installed, let's assume the erratic behaviour is somehow related to the upgrade to the CU.

If you boot your system from a Win 10 boot disk, accept the language prompt, then click 'Repair your computer' a the bottom, the following options are available

System Restore
    - if the last update was the big CU, and no updates since then, you will have no restore points (assuming you had system restore turned on).
    - otherwise you may have a system restore point you can try. If so, make a note of any information that process gives you.

If you have a restore point, that's relatively easy to try.

If for example you received a conflicting driver update after upgrading, this may give you a way forward.

Go back to the previous build

- If you received the CU (see version number above), this will allow you to return to the AU, your previous build.
    (The AU build number is 14393).

This is a more major step.

Note: for the future, we strongly and repeatedly recommend using disk imaging so even if your disk fails or windows is irrecoverably corrupted or even encrypted by ransomware, you can restore your previous working configuration relatively quickly and without technical help.

Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage for images.

dalchina, May 14, 2017
  9. mmbabs Win User
    Hi dalchina,

Sorry for the late reply. The version that I have from explorer.exe is 10.0.15063.168.

I've got laptop with Windows 10 at work, I downloaded the media creation tool and created a recovery USB this way. I can boot straight into the recovery window, however the mouse and keyboard are still unresponsive.

I can also boot into a Windows Setup screen, and then I can either Install now(which I assume will clear all my data correct?) or I can repair my computer.

System restore
    I tried this option, however I get a message saying that to user System Restore, I must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system then select System Restore.

Go back to previous build
    I get a message that says "We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous version of Windows. Try resetting your PC instead."

I have access to all my data what I think I might do is just copy all the data I want, and do a clean installation. Is there a way I can get my Product Key from Kyhi's disk?

mmbabs, May 20, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, ok, you have the Creator's update given that build number. So I assume your problem started after the upgrade to that.

- do you mean a recovery USB drive, or a bootable Win 10 installation USB drive?

Considering this:
    - activation should be automatic- no need to enter a key.
    - do you have all your favourites backed up and any other browser-related data and program license keys?
    - if the problem is, say, BIOS vs GPU driver version etc in the context of the CU, you may have the same problem. On the other hand, you may be ok.

I would check to see if there is a BIOS update in any case.

Also run HDTune from Kyhi's disk first just to check.

A clean install would give you the chance to use GPT format (if you didn't before) and make sure your BIOS has AHCI enabled (faster SSD throughput).

These suggest something significant is wrong.

Again, make sure you run HDTune before doing a clean install.

Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Black screen after latest update, can't get into safe mode - Similar Threads - Black screen latest

2. Black screen in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen in safe mode.: Hello everyone, I tried to reset my PC thru the settings, and I got the message 'The ProfSvc service failed to sign-in/User profile cannot be loaded' when I tried to log in to my PC after the reset. Then I tried to boot it into safe mode, but I got a black screen. After that,...
  3. Black screen in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen in safe mode.: Hello everyone, I tried to reset my PC thru the settings, and I got the message 'The ProfSvc service failed to sign-in/User profile cannot be loaded' when I tried to log in to my PC after the reset. Then I tried to boot it into safe mode, but I got a black screen. After that,...
  4. 0xc00000f black screen since latest updates/ can't access safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    0xc00000f black screen since latest updates/ can't access safe mode: This is on my Dell e5570 laptop win10 pro 64 bit, version unknown right now, but whatever the latest is. Everything was working fine and installed the latest recommended updates. On reboot, I now get this message. I did the F12 button and ran diagnostics but says all is ok. I...
  5. Windows not booting after latest update - can’t get to safe mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows not booting after latest update - can’t get to safe mode: Hi. After latest windows update i get this error message then windows tries to undo changes. nno combinations of F keys or commands makes any difference and sustem just loops round and round. does anyone know how to help?...
  6. Black screen after restarting for safe mode

Black screen after restarting for safe mode: I am getting black screen with underscrorenot blinking after restarting for booting into safe mode. I turn on safe mode through run->msconfig. But after clicking on the restart button i am getting black screen with underscore even that boot up window is not showing.i can...
  7. Black screen after reboot into safe mode

Black screen after reboot into safe mode: Whilst preparing to upgrade my motherboard, CPU, RAM and GPU, I decided to put my PC into safe mode before uninstalling my old GPU drivers switching from nVidia to AMD, didn't want to risk any conflicts. Went into config and selected reboot in safe mode, and clicked restart...
  8. Black screen and can't access safe mode

Black screen and can't access safe mode: Hey guys, I've been black screening before signing in and was hoping you guys could help me out. I've tried accessing safe mode but it still just black screens. Thanks in advance....
  9. Black screen in Safe Mode

Black screen in Safe Mode: Hello, I'm using Windows 10. I wanted to go to Safe Mode to solve some issues with Discord. I did so by pressing Restart while holding the Shift Key. The description says I should see a list with startup options. Instead, the screen is black and the monitor receives no...
  10. safe mode black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    safe mode black screen: Check your nearby greenback store, craft shop or garden center for little, decorative rocks to scatter on tables. It is apparent that the 104 LED cord on a waist higher shrub will lose the shrub in the midst of the lights. As we move towards a greener environment, the...