Windows 10: Black Screen after Log In

Discus and support Black Screen after Log In in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; My system has been working fine for a long time and after a power outage a couple of days ago, now when it boots up I get the normal log in screen but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by chappellsm, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Black Screen after Log In

My system has been working fine for a long time and after a power outage a couple of days ago, now when it boots up I get the normal log in screen but after I log in all I get is a black screen with the mouse showing. It did boot up normally right after the power came back on but the next morning after I had shut it down and turned it back on the problem started. I have 2 anti virus programs that auto launch at boot up and they are both on the screen and look normal and work normal until they finish and once they are closed nothing is on the screen. I can boot up in safe mode but same problem. I can also boot up to a C:\prompt and but I do know have the knowledge to know what to look for or what actions to take.

Help

:)

chappellsm, Dec 17, 2017
  2. zgaga Win User

black screen after log in

Those programmes worked perfectly before I decided to instal three windows updates. Don't ask me which updates. Had a look but don't remember.

You are right I'm not as silly as Eve... But... I want my baby working!

I'll get you details when I get home.

zgaga, Dec 17, 2017
  3. zgaga Win User
    black screen after log in

Hello,

recently I have bought antivirus, witch after scan recommended 3 updates for my windows 10, I have installed them, trying to keep my computer safe and up to date, after restart, I get log in screen, but after I log in there is black screen for 30min, I can
    see pointer, I can get task manager, but that's all, rest is black, start button is not working, any shortcuts with windows key are not working, I tried to run new explorer.exe task, doesn't help.

I uninstalled antivirus, went back to previous driver for my graphic card, I updated driver for my graphic card, still have same problem. Black screen and pointer.

I don't want to use recovery as I recently only installed many programs on this computer trying to set it up, it took me many hours, computer is only new, so it shouldn't give me problems, and Microsoft updates shouldn't cause problems, no?

Computer is All In One, and using F5 at the start doesn't work either.

How can I fix this problem, without loosing all programs and data?

Please, help!

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup / PC)

zgaga, Dec 17, 2017
  4. Black Screen after Log In

Hi chappellsm. Welcome to the TenForums @chappellsm

Any chance you were using two monitors when this occurred.

When the screen goes black what happens if you press the Windows key + P. Can you select just computer.

Do you know if you have system restore points. If so then you could use the Advance Startup Options to start a system restore, not a reset, a System Restore. I would think you see these options as you are entering Safe Mode. (Of course you may be entering safe mode another way.)

Caledon Ken, Dec 18, 2017
  5. Thank you for the reply, So I did try the windows key and P and it clearly thinks I have 2 monitors, when I don't. So I have not fixed the problem but narrowing it down. One big difference is after I enter my password and hit enter it then says "preparing windows" and it takes about 5 minutes to get past that. It used to boot very fast. Not sure if that is a clue or not

chappellsm, Dec 18, 2017
  6. How comfortable are you dealing with the insides of your PC?

Have you made any customization to BIOS since you got device?

Do you know type of Display driver you are using, Nvidia, AMD, Intel?

I'm thinking it might be prudent to reset BIOS, that is load defaults. I ask about adapter as you may need a way to remove the driver(s) and let Windows re-detect.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 18, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    zbook, Dec 18, 2017
  8. Black Screen after Log In

Again thank you for your continued help. Before I said that the same thing happens in Safe Mode but I now find that I just did not give it enough time. I have booted up in Safe mode and now I am wondering if my problem is not video related. In Safe mode anything I try is very slow, meaning opening file explorer takes 30 minutes. Moving from one directory to another takes 20 - 30 minutes.

I see all my files and directories. I did have a power outage right before this happened, it worked fine right after the power came back on, but then when I shut it down for the first time after the power outage this started.

One friend suggested my RAM has been corrupted, any other ideas?

chappellsm, Dec 19, 2017
  9. Hey great news that you can get to Safe mode.

Don't believe this has anything to do with RAM. When RAM is bad system BSOD's.

If you open task manager, may need to click on show more details in lower left, what are the various components running at, CPU, disk, memory, network.

Are any drivers reporting in trouble, yellow exclamation marks in device manager?

It could be related to video but when you come up in safe mode you are using basic window drivers and no vendor drivers.

What vendor is supplying video adapter, Intel, AMD, Nvidia?

You didn't answer question on BIOS?

Caledon Ken, Dec 19, 2017
  10. Oh and I would run chkdsk /f from command prompt(admin). Could have issue with file table on disk.

I always recommend a data backup, chkdsk can be a slow process and I've seen it fail.

While not a help now I would also recommend looking into a UPS for system. Might find a good sale over holidays.

Caledon Ken, Dec 19, 2017
  11. Back at my desk for a minute,

My PC is a Dell Inspiron 3847 and I am connected to the video port that is built in, there is not a graphics card in the PC. When I look in task manager it basically says nothing is running, my CPU is between 0% and 2% and my memory is 1 GB so 13%. File manager works, and task manager worked when I used the ctrl-alt-del keys but when I try to access any of the programs from the start menu nothing happens.

when I press the windows key nothing comes up. When I right click the mouse on the windows icon I get the list of utilities but when i try selecting any of them nothing happens.

I have not made any BIOS changes on the PC ever. I have 8Gb of RAM, it came with 2 and I bought 2 x 4Gb RAM sticks but this was at least 3 years ago. I did select the RUN option and that worked when I typed in MSCONFIG, I did get to the configuration progarm. But none of the other options work

chappellsm, Dec 19, 2017
  12. zbook New Member
    zbook, Dec 19, 2017
  13. Black Screen after Log In

Do you have an nVidia sticker on your device? I see from Dell this is a driver for your device. ( or some models of your devices. )

You said in Safe Mode it was running slow. You stated file manager works but slow. Did you run chkdsk?

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Black Screen after Log In

1. Black Screen after Log In - Similar Threads - Black Screen Log

2. Black screen after log in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after log in: I have read the post about the black screen after logging in but I cant get to anything to uninstall. I cant even get to internet until mcafee window runs. Not sure if this was an auto update that broke it ? I went to bed it worked next morning - logged in and i get black...
  3. Black screen after log in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen after log in: I have read the post about the black screen after logging in but I cant get to anything to uninstall. I cant even get to internet until mcafee window runs. Not sure if this was an auto update that broke it ? I went to bed it worked next morning - logged in and i get black...
  4. Black screen with cursor after log in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen with cursor after log in: Hey, i have a problem, so i installed win11 a few weeks ago. So I can't revert to win 10, but heres the problem, after a few weeks of using win 11, i keep getting black screen with cursor in it. I already tried the regedit and change the shell and it was not working....
  5. Black Screen After Logging In

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen After Logging In: I am currently having a problem with my laptop. It shut down when I forgot to plug it in as it was already running low in power. I then plugged it in to a power source and pressed the power button. It prompted me to enter my password and after logging in, the screen went...
  6. black screen after log in

black screen after log in: my laptop is acting very weirdly , when i turn my pc on every is normal the hp loading screen comes up, log in pin comes up but after that it goes black. i had to force shut about 3 times for it to work normally again. i am not sure why this is happening....
  7. Black screen after log in

Black screen after log in: I logged into a computer account on windows 10 (not default account) and it processed and the screen went complete black, but with the cursor on top. What do I do..?...
  8. Black Screen after Logging in.

Black Screen after Logging in.: Whenever I login into my account I get my normal looking desktop for a minute or two but can't do anything. Then it goes all black with the cursor. I've booted it into safe mode and and the same thing happens. Can't access task manager in it either. Going from ctrl+alt+delete...
  9. Black Screen after Log on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black Screen after Log on: Computer boots to windows log on,have no password here.After a minute on log on it go to a black screen,stays there forever. I can get to Task Manager from black Screen,lost on what to do next. Just want my Windows 10 back, not sure what caused this problem. Any Suggestion on...
  10. Black Screen after Log on

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen after Log on: After log on I get black screen,I can get into task manager.Is there a way to restart computer in safe mode from task manager new task? 42785