Windows 10: Black screen and cursor only

Discus and support Black screen and cursor only in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have black screen and cursor only Tried opening task manager to run a new task to add in explorer.exe. Task manager then decides to close when i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Noing, May 16, 2017.

1. Noing Win User

Black screen and cursor only

I have black screen and cursor only

Tried opening task manager to run a new task to add in explorer.exe. Task manager then decides to close when i hit run new task.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

:)

Noing, May 16, 2017

2. Black screen, only cursor .

Windows 10 install , black screen and cursor. Tried windows +x , nothing... Dell laptop Satellite L775 Windows 7

Help!

NancyGarrett, May 16, 2017
  3. EAsonA Win User
    Black screen, only cursor .

Hi,
    NancyGarrett
    . Perform the methods provided
    here
    and let us know how that works!

Regards,

#OneMsft

EAsonA, May 16, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello- what's the history? E.g.
    - my pc was working perfectly yesterday but when I turned it on today...
    - I upgraded to the Creator's build and now...
    - there was a lightning storm and the power went off while I was...

etc.
    I.e. what's the last thing that happened before this occurred?

What do you believe your current build to be - Anniversary build? Creator's build?

Is your PC
    - a deskop PC
    - a laptop
    - a tablet
    ....?

Please complete your system specs (see mine for comparison) - include details of your disk - SSD? HDD? something else?

When you boot, do you see a login prompt? Does the black screen appear before or after you log in?

Given the above, we can suggest an appropriate way forward. Thanks.

dalchina, May 16, 2017
  5. Noing Win User
    Desktop pc
    i7 something
    Nvidia gtx 970
    Secondary video card set up as physx driver
    Hybrid drive 1tb
    16 gb ram
    Creators build

Was working fine yesterday morning. It had finished the creative update, then i logged in so it could finish updating. Left for work and came back to black screen and cursor.
    Restarted, can see login screen and then logs in to black screen and cursor.

Noing, May 16, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, May 16, 2017
  7. Noing Win User
    The nvidia drivers could cause explorer.exe not to start?

Ugh, i thought i was done having issues with nvidia

Noing, May 16, 2017
  8. Bastet Win User

I had the same problem with nVidia 960m driver recently, no picture but could open & see task manager, I then started ending anything nVidia related, after closing a couple the desktop appeared. I then uninstalled the driver & reinstalled it.

Bastet, May 16, 2017
  9. Noing Win User
    When i try to close them they keep reopening a second after

Noing, May 16, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Can you confirm you have no special themes applied or anything that modifies the GUI?
    And are both video cards the same?

dalchina, May 16, 2017
  11. Noing Win User
    I do use stardock stuff for themes, and no they are different. I forget what the lower one is, just miles beneath the 970

Noing, May 16, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    If you want to uninstall the nvidia driver, you will probably be able to do that in Safe Mode. You can boot to Safe Mode by clicking the Power button on the login screen, then SHIFT left click Restart - follow the prompts.

You will probably need to do this:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-w...k-in-safe-mode

Then you could restart and see if it reinstalls and works.

And you could use the same procedure to install a different version if needed.

You can find out what your other graphics card is easily from Control Panel, Device Manager, or Settings, search for device manager.

Once in Safe Mode, you could also have a look at your Reliability History and Event Log and see if those tell you anything helpful.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Black screen and cursor only - Similar Threads - Black screen cursor

2. Windows black screen with cursor only

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows black screen with cursor only: Hey community I have a issue. When I log in with my account ot takes too time to log in and shows only black screen with cursor when I restart my laptop again its shows black screen again and when I restart again then I got my desktop... pls help me to fix this issue I never...
  3. Computer only showing black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer only showing black screen with cursor: Last night I was playing a game on my computer when the screen froze. After a waiting a while I just decided to turn the whole computer off. When I turned it back on after the loading screen (white spinning dots) it goes straight to a black screen. I can move the cursor but...
  4. No Desktop or Taskbar. Only a black screen with a cursor

in Windows 10 Customization
    No Desktop or Taskbar. Only a black screen with a cursor: After logging in to my account I am met with a black screen and a cursor and that's it. There are numerous solutions that I have looked into that didn't work. I am able to open task manager. The issue persists in Safe Mode. This issue is localised to one user account. The...
  5. Black screen with only the cursor mouse

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen with only the cursor mouse: I had windows 10 on my computer but today I installed Windows 7 and the desktop crashed and didn't even load the icons, so I tried to start in safe mode and it got worse because now only a black screen appears with the mouse pointer after "starting windows" appears, help me...
  6. Windows 10 black screen with only cursor showing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 black screen with only cursor showing: Hello. I'm unable to log into my PC because when trying to turn it on i'm not presented with the normal log in page. I've tried ctl+alt+del and nothing shows up. Hope you can help. Thanks in advance...
  7. Windows stuck at black screen with cursor only

Windows stuck at black screen with cursor only: I need help.... my laptop (asus x550j) suddenly froze and i force shut it, then after it finished booting, there is nothing on the screen except the cursor, here are the some info that maybe might help. 1. Can't access ctrl+alt+del menu, 2. Windows RE is the same, black...
  8. PC showing black screen with only mouse cursor

PC showing black screen with only mouse cursor: Hi Today I tried to power on the system when the system started it didn't show any Windows logo and only blank screen appears with cursor the cursor can be moved but nothing is shown on the screen. I am using the Windows 10....
  9. Windows 10 Black Screen only cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Black Screen only cursor: So I have a laptop with a onboard and dedicated graphics and I just installed the nividia graphic card drivers and everything was ok when I restarted my laptop black screen with only cursor showing up I googled about my problem but none helped fixing it I tried going safe...
  10. Windows 10 black screen with cursor only

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 black screen with cursor only: I've seen similar problems but I haven't found any solution yet. After I bootup my desktop shows then after a few minutes it turns into a black screen with cursor only. Ctrl+alt+delete is working and I managed to get into file explorer by "open file location" in task...