Windows 10: Black screen and no mouse after Windows 10 upgrade, how to get past?

Discus and support Black screen and no mouse after Windows 10 upgrade, how to get past? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I upgraded my 4th computer that was pretty old to Windows 10 today. It booted in fine after install, but it looked as if I was in a sort of safe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by QuillBall, Jul 28, 2016.

1. QuillBall Win User

Black screen and no mouse after Windows 10 upgrade, how to get past?

Hello, I upgraded my 4th computer that was pretty old to Windows 10 today. It booted in fine after install, but it looked as if I was in a sort of safe mode, as mu graphics display driver was apparently not good. Windows told me it was going to install another graphics driver, so I let it do so and reboot, and it has sat at a black screen with no mouse for quite some time. I tried plugging it in to to my TV though HDMI, no luck, tried entering a password after hitting another key, and I tried installing a usb wireless keyboard/mouse combo (the computer dinged which indicated it knew I inserted a usb device), to see if maybe I could get a mouse cursor, and have had no luck. I have two graphics cards, an intel and an AMD so I'm thinking something went haywire there, but I can't figure out how to get into safe mode with Win10, everything I see shows you how to do it from within windows, not when you can't see the screen. Can anyone help?

Also, I am worried about reinstalling past the deadline. If it booted into Windows 10 and I had the OS operational when it said it was going to intall the driver, I'm ok if I have to restore to windows 7 and then reinstall later, right?

Thank you!!

:)

QuillBall, Jul 28, 2016
  2. Anannya Podder, Jul 28, 2016
  3. windows 10

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 , but found 10 to be too slow and the screen display had a blank on the rhs all the time

Tried to revert back to 7 followed steps and ended up with a black screen with a frozen mouse arrow in the centre ...any ideas how I can get my computer back after this disastrous experience

michaelreynoldsuk, Jul 28, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

See if this helps to get into safe mode

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode - Start Windows 10 in - Windows 10 Forums

If your W10 OS was activated when you got it installed, you're all set. If you can get into safe mode, check if you're activated. If so, the pressure is off.

simrick, Jul 29, 2016
  5. QuillBall Win User
    Thank you. I was able to get in before you posted and got my screen to appear. I ended up blindly logging in, then making sure I was at desktop by getting the confirmation sound when I inserted a usb drive, I hit Windows+P and down arrow and enter, over and over, which selects the display mode (pc screen only, duplicate, extend, second screen only) until I got the screen to come up. It's on second screen only, which there is no second screen obviously. I am not quite sure how to fix this yet...very odd.

QuillBall, Jul 29, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    LOL Good job! Blindly logging in is a real pain! Maybe this can help?
    Multiple Displays - Change Settings and Layout in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Black screen and no mouse after Windows 10 upgrade, how to get past? - Similar Threads - Black screen mouse

2. Cannot get past a black screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot get past a black screen: When I try to open the advanced start up settings my computer blue screens and saids “your pc has ran into a problem and needs to restart” which doesn’t restart but turn off my computers I can not get into safe mode either. My computer blue screened while I was playing a game...
  3. Cannot get past a black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot get past a black screen: When I try to open the advanced start up settings my computer blue screens and saids “your pc has ran into a problem and needs to restart” which doesn’t restart but turn off my computers I can not get into safe mode either. My computer blue screened while I was playing a game...
  4. Cannot get past a black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Getting black screen and mouse cursor after windows 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting black screen and mouse cursor after windows 11 upgrade: Hi,I have bought Lenovo with windows 10 with license, after upgrade of windows 10 to 11, now I am getting black screen with cursor.I have tried all options to recover my windows, which are mentioned in windows support like reset this PC, start explore.exe from task manager...
  6. Getting black screen and mouse cursor after windows 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting black screen and mouse cursor after windows 11 upgrade: Hi,I have bought Lenovo with windows 10 with license, after upgrade of windows 10 to 11, now I am getting black screen with cursor.I have tried all options to recover my windows, which are mentioned in windows support like reset this PC, start explore.exe from task manager...
  7. How to get past windows login screen?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to get past windows login screen?: father in law set up login but doesn't know password so it keeps coming up with windows screen but cannot get past the password screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-past-windows-login-screen/81b31037-4659-440e-bc99-679300c8e398
  8. black screen after upgrading

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    black screen after upgrading: hi i had a very old 32 bit system which was running windows 7 and working great,but the idea dawned on me to upgrade to windows 10 for the security updates so i ran the setup like so: i downloaded the media creation tool followed the instructions and pressed on the option...
  9. On boot gets past windows loading then black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    On boot gets past windows loading then black screen: Hello I have got a Dell Latitude E6420 that after it gets past the Windows 10 loading screen after being turned on the screen goes black (backlight is on though). If you plug in an external screen you can see the desktop with no issues. I have tried updating the graphic...
  10. windows 10 black screen with mouse

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 black screen with mouse: i've just upgrade to windows 10 nd am facing black screen with cursor help me.... 32442