Windows 10: Black Screen before signon and during shutdoqn

Discus and support Black Screen before signon and during shutdoqn in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My Windows 10 PC seems to be working OK but I notice that between the Windows 10 splash screen and the user sign on page there's a period of time when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by moondoggy, Aug 11, 2015.

1. moondoggy Win User

Black Screen before signon and during shutdoqn

My Windows 10 PC seems to be working OK but I notice that between the Windows 10 splash screen and the user sign on page there's a period of time when the screen simply goes black. The system does get to the sign on page but black screens freak me out a bit and I was wondering if anyone else was seeing this? If so, do you know the cause and how to fix it?

Also when I log off I'm seeing the same thing. With Windows 10 when I shut down there's a brief period when the screen is simply black and I'm now having to rely on the sound of my machine turning off vs. the visual queues that I had under Windows 7. Again, anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?

:)

moondoggy, Aug 11, 2015

2. Windows 10 broke my computer

Try this when you push the power button and think you should see the signon screen. Press the FN key and number 14. I have a laptop hp G70 and when I booted it up this morning black screen.

I dug out my set up instruction that came with the computer and the FN14 toggled from the blank screen to the signon.

BevNewton163, Aug 11, 2015
  3. JimHagar Win User
    Edge crashes my PC

At my banking web site, signon screen, Edge locks(?) with a blank screen after pressing signon. The monitor disconnects and goes into power save mode. The only way I can recover is to CTRL+ALT+DEL and Select Restart. After restart, since it was a signon
    screen, I get the message that the page is no longer available. So I can close the Tab and everything continues to work. This happens consistently, every time I try it.

Today I was looking online for a recipe, and the same thing happened. Only I couldn't easily recover from it. After restart, if I went back to Edge, I could see the page display for about a second, then the screen went black and the monitor went into power
    save mode. Finally I was able to position to the X on the tab for the offending screen (during the one second the screen was being displayed), and get the tab closed. Then everything was fine. (Also, after restart, I brought up task manager and tried to
    kill Edge, but it didn't show as a task).

Anyone else experiencing a similar problem or have a solution (other than not go to that web site)?

Edge browser locks with a black screen- Original Title

JimHagar, Aug 11, 2015
  4. moondoggy Win User

Just a quick update...... I posted a similar thread on the Microsoft Community Forum and I got back a reply from a Microsoft Support Engineer who said "We're working on that". I guess I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

moondoggy, Aug 12, 2015
  5. Gary Win User
    They have been working on that since day one. I am tired of seeing black screens after an update. I like to see what MS is doing to my machine.

6. moondoggy Win User
    Over on the Tom's Hardware Forum it was suggested that this might be a video driver issue and it was suggested that I uninstall the AMD driver and reinstall it. That sounded like a good suggestion but AMD is no longer supporting this card and has not supported this card in some time. When they were supporting it I had issues with one of the more current drivers and had to back level to an earlier drive to make my PC work correctly. Right now I don't have a copy of the driver I have installed and the suggestion of removing the existing driver just fills me up with fear, uncertainty and doubt (aka FUD). I hope that someone out here on this forum finds a solution to this issue that doesn't involve removing the existing driver but If not then perhaps I'll buy a new card that is supported under Windows 10 but for now I'm even going to hold off on that purchase to insure that the manufacturers have time to make their Windows 10 drivers available.

moondoggy, Aug 14, 2015
  7. jojo8285 Win User
    i have the same black screen on startup and on sleep wake up

jojo8285, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Black Screen before signon and during shutdoqn - Similar Threads - Black Screen before

2. Black screen before signing in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen before signing in.: Let me simplify the situation.It's been about half a month of me fixing problem on my PC that I built with Windows 10. USBBasically, I pulled out the USB stick and fixed the problem. Nice!Now I still have one unresolved issue left... the black screen before signing in. How do...
  3. Black screen before signing in.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen before signing in.: Let me simplify the situation.It's been about half a month of me fixing problem on my PC that I built with Windows 10. USBBasically, I pulled out the USB stick and fixed the problem. Nice!Now I still have one unresolved issue left... the black screen before signing in. How do...
  4. Black screen before signing in.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen before login: I was recently doing a system restore after my computer started acting wonky, however, the restore got hung up, so after about 10 hours or so, I gave up and did a hard shutdown. Now when I’m booting up my laptop, i get the Acer splash screen, however, after that I just get a...
  6. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen before login: Hi, I have a desktop PC, about 6 years old, running Windows 10. In the last few days, it was coming up with a black screen showing the curser only, randomly, after being used for a short while nothing specifc seemed to trigger it, I was just browsing the Internet or...
  7. Black screen before login screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen before login screen: Hello everyone. I have recently experienced a problem with Windows 10. Whenever I select Windows 10 (I have dual-boot configuration, the other OS is Ubuntu), it normally boots and I hear the startup sound. I also see the mouse indicator and I can sometimes control it, yet...
  8. Black Screen Before Login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Black Screen Before Login: After the update of october 2018 update 1809 my laptop is having a problem of black screen before the sign in page. It takes around 8 to 10 seconds to show the lock screen. I don't know what's the problem. I feel so annoying as this is a brand new laptop with 8gb ram and i5...
  9. Black screen before login screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen before login screen: The black screen occurs before login screen. It happens randomly. I have to move the mouse (haven't tried pressing keyboard) and it will show the login screen and windows will continue normally. On my device driver it shows only 1 display adapter that is NVIDIA GTX 970. My...
  10. Restart during boot (black screen before normal boot)

in Windows 10 Support
    Restart during boot (black screen before normal boot): Good afternoon, Since couple of days my desktop PC has a problem that does not compromise its use but rather annoying When I press the button to turn it on it immediately restarts showing a black screen and after this reboot it starts booting up windows quickly and without...