Windows 10: Black screen blinking cursor for 60 seconds on reboot

Discus and support Black screen blinking cursor for 60 seconds on reboot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Black screen with blinking cursor for 60 seconds on reboot, before windows starts –solved, Ethernet service setting. Totally empirical approach,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by little jim, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Black screen blinking cursor for 60 seconds on reboot

Black screen with blinking cursor for 60 seconds on reboot, before windows starts –solved, Ethernet service setting.

Totally empirical approach, “by intuition and sense of smell” (one for the Who fans)
    Googling “Blackscreen blinking cursor 60 seconds on reboot” gave lots of replies, with two major solutions
    (i) turn off fast startup in power options (ii) disable one display adaptor if two are present in device manager.
    Neither of these worked for me (i) this option not available on my setup, typed in powercfg /h off just in case (ii) only one display adaptor present.

So, went to event viewer, to search for errors consistent with appearance of problem since latest windows update (windows 10 v 1703 update 2017-07), and found

Event131 DeviceSetupManager
    Metadata staging failed, result=0x80070490 for container '{00000000-0000-0000-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF}'

Googled in the latter, and after trial and error, eventually found this at https://superuser.com/questions/9528...-10-event-logs (thanks Jusup)

(in services) “using LAN/Ethernet, set wired autoconfig service to automatic and start the service.”

Problem gone. *Biggrin
    Did the latest windows update or my vpn change Network Connections to “authentication” ?? Don't know.

N.B. this problem was only present on reboot, not cold start.

:)

little jim, Aug 6, 2017

2. Windows 10 Install Fails On Reboot

While I was not looking at my desktop screen the Windows 10 installation rebooted to a black screen with a blinking cursor. I rebooted, watched the Bios text scroll by, and was left at the black screen with a blinking cursor. Need a little help!

JamesMitchellJr, Aug 6, 2017
  3. BetsyCole Win User
    Black screen with flashing cursor

Two weeks ago I had to delete and reload Windows 10. A few days ago my screen suddenly went black with the blinking cursor in the top left hand corner.

I can only do a hard reboot, and when I do, on my screen I briefly get the Dell logo with
    F2 Set Up / F12 Boot Options in the lower right corner. Then it quickly reverts to a black screen with blinking cursor. Pressing either of the F2 /F12 keys has no effect.

I have attempted to do a hard boot 3 & 4 times in succession but it always comes back to the black screen with blinking cursor.

No sticky key combinations that I have seen mentioned on the Community page work at all. I'm stuck on the black screen with cursor.

Any suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BetsyCole, Aug 6, 2017
Thema:

Black screen blinking cursor for 60 seconds on reboot

1. Black screen blinking cursor for 60 seconds on reboot - Similar Threads - Black screen blinking

2. Windows 10 Pro Black Screen with Blinking Cursor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro Black Screen with Blinking Cursor: A faulty Windows update has completely crashed my computer. I cannot get to safe mode! I believe now that it has corrupted some files.I created a USB bootup disk which has thrown an error:"Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you." The QR...
  3. Windows 10 Pro Black Screen with Blinking Cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Pro Black Screen with Blinking Cursor: A faulty Windows update has completely crashed my computer. I cannot get to safe mode! I believe now that it has corrupted some files.I created a USB bootup disk which has thrown an error:"Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you." The QR...
  4. Windows 10 Pro Black Screen with Blinking Cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Black Screen Blinking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen Blinking: Greetings Microsoft User Pls i need a help because my pc keep blinking black screening while im playing how can i fix this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-blinking/299af189-cbb4-45dd-9cd1-7452d33f9d32
  6. Computer boots to black or blank screen with blinking cursor

in Windows 10 News
    Computer boots to black or blank screen with blinking cursor: [ATTACH]When you boot a computer, and all it shows is a black or blank screen with a blinking cursor (it may look like an underscore), […] This article Computer boots to black or blank screen with blinking cursor first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Black screen with blinking cursor Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen with blinking cursor Windows 10: After updating to Win 10, the black screen with blinking cursor appeared. What worked for me was going into the BIOS and changing the boot order to make the HDD the first boot device. The CD/DVD had been the first device....
  8. Blinking Black screen, Toolbar and Cursor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Blinking Black screen, Toolbar and Cursor: So the toolbar is unresponsive probably because it keeps blinking so using the Start menu or hitting the windows key is not an option, I can ONLY access task manager through safe mode, I've uninstalled my display adapter Or graphics driver, restarted the laptop and logged in...
  9. Installation black screen on reboot, no cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation black screen on reboot, no cursor: Upgrading from windows 7 to 10, started install at around 10:30am and left it....around 2:30pm it started the large circle with the % in the centre, and again left it for another hour or so and came back to a black screen, no cursor or anything. I waited until about 7:30...
  10. 30-60 second black screen with cursor on boot

in Windows 10 Support
    30-60 second black screen with cursor on boot: This has been happening ever since I upgraded to 10 about 2 weeks ago. I start the computer, 3 second ASUS logo, then windows 10 logo comes up and it loads for about 10-20 seconds, then I get a black screen with a cursor for 30-60 seconds, followed by another loading screen...