Windows 10: Black screen, cursor flickering. Unable to start Windows

Discus and support Black screen, cursor flickering. Unable to start Windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I updated my Windows 7 to Windows 10 few weeks ago. The update process went well, atleast it looked like it. After the update i started having... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sukkis, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Sukkis Win User

Black screen, cursor flickering. Unable to start Windows

Hi,

I updated my Windows 7 to Windows 10 few weeks ago. The update process went well, atleast it looked like it.
    After the update i started having weird freezing problems. It looked like that some process took 100% of my cpu but i was unable to see what process it was.

Anyway sometimes this problem occurred several times in a row but after trying enough Windows 10 started OK and everything looked fine.

Now few days ago there was some updates installing and i got the same freezing problem. I had to restart my pc from the start button. After that reboot i was unable to start Windows. I can see the Bios logos and i can enter to bios but i cant load the Windows. It get stuck before the Windows logo. All i can see is the black screen with flickering cursor ot top left corner.

I can see my disks from bios and the boot order is OK. I have also tried F8 to select where to boot but no luck.
    I cant even start on safe mode.. (no selection).
    Tried to load bios default. No help.
    Tried with Hirens boot cd. No luck.
    EDIT: Now im able to start some Linux workaround from Hirens Boot CD and can access to my C: Drive..

Im not having any Win 10 DVD:s so i cant try any repair installation. (im trying to borrow DVD somewhere).
    Win 7 DVD/repair is not working.

Is there anything i could do anymore? Or do i really have to Install WIN7 again?

BR,
    Janne

:)

Sukkis, Oct 18, 2015

2. Black screen

When I sign into my PC I get a black screen with a black flickering task bar and a cursor with a flickering loading symbol. Restarting doesn’t fix the problem. Does anyone have any possible solutions?

[ Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization / Desktop ]

JosephBradley1, Oct 18, 2015
  3. Windows 10 black screen

Hi Rathod

I was successfully using Windows 10 (after upgrading from 8.1) for few months. Yesterday night there was an automatic update and then there are problems in booting. After Dell screen (laptop), there is black screen with flickering mouse cursor. I forced
    shut down and started many times, but same black screen and flickering mouse cursor. Left it on for few hours, but no change.

The only recent changes was I installed Cuda .5 for my Nvidia graphics driver in my laptop one week ago.

Kindly let me know solution as I have lots of data in that laptop

with regards

Ramana

Ramana Oruganti, Oct 18, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Digiwiz MiniPE has a tool for loading a restore point, so you can return to a previous working state, but I haven't tried in Windows 10. Try that and see if it works. Or you can download Windows 10 ISO from here, burn to a DVD and use it to repair your computer. I would recommend going back to a restore point before trying repair startup as it probably won't fix the problem. After you manage to fix Windows and boot successfully into the desktop, I recommend updating all your drivers. That way Windows Update won't try to update them and screw them again. There is also a setting to prevent Windows Update from changing the drivers, but I am not sure if this applies to Windows 10 Home as well as Pro. Right-click on This PC and select Properties. Click on the Advanced system settings at the left. Click the Hardware tab and then the Device installation settings button. Select No, let me choose what to do and then Never install driver software from Windows Update. Click Save changes and then OK.

spapakons, Oct 19, 2015
  5. Sukkis Win User
    Hi,

Thanks for advices..
    All the drivers were updated so i think its not the driver issue.
    Yep. Find that site yesterday and i will download the .ISO and try to run the repair.
    Need also read more about that Digiwiz MiniPE

BR,
    Janne

Sukkis, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Black screen, cursor flickering. Unable to start Windows - Similar Threads - Black screen cursor

2. Screen Flickering Black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Flickering Black: My screen has been flickering black for about a second several times a day for a few weeks now. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics driver, and tried Ctrl + Shift + Windows + B. I also have checked for any necessary updates in both the "Check For Updates" Windows...
  3. Screen Flickering Black

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen Flickering Black: My screen has been flickering black for about a second several times a day for a few weeks now. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics driver, and tried Ctrl + Shift + Windows + B. I also have checked for any necessary updates in both the "Check For Updates" Windows...
  4. Black/flickering screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black/flickering screen: When I start up my computer it shows a black screen after I login. I tried to use safe mode and it shows a flickering screen and I can’t click on any apps while task manager is fine. It all started around the windows 11 upgrade....
  5. Black/flickering screen

Black/flickering screen: When I start up my computer it shows a black screen after I login. I tried to use safe mode and it shows a flickering screen and I can’t click on any apps while task manager is fine. It all started around the windows 11 upgrade....
  6. Cursor and screen flickers when as Start menu is open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cursor and screen flickers when as Start menu is open: Hi. My mouse cursor flickers when I open Start menu and a few screen flashes, black flashes in full screen and white flashes only at the bottom about one inch height. I already tried reformatting and reinstalling Windows and reinstalling graphics drivers. My laptop is Acer...
  7. Cursor and screen flickers when as Start menu is open

Cursor and screen flickers when as Start menu is open: Hi. My mouse cursor flickers when I open Start menu and a few screen flashes, black flashes in full screen and white flashes only at the bottom about one inch height. I already tried reformatting and reinstalling Windows and reinstalling graphics drivers. My laptop is Acer...
  8. Cursor and screen flickers when as Start menu is open

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Unable to log on in Windows 10 Black Screen with cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to log on in Windows 10 Black Screen with cursor: I own a windows 10 HP laptop. I attempted to upgrade it with a 256 GB addlink S70 NVMe SSD using the built in NVMe slot, which the computer detected with no problem. However, I think I corrupted my Windows install a little bit while transferring everything, on my stock 500GB...
  10. Black screen and flickering

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen and flickering: Ever since installing a recent windows update I’ve been having this issue, I’ve tried uninstalling the update and updating to an even newer version, same with my drivers, the issue also causes 100% gpu usage, I’ve tried many fixes with nothing working....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc flickering black screen cursor

2. my windows unable to start black screen

3. unable to start the flickring