Windows 10: black screen during bootup

Discus and support black screen during bootup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; During boot up I get a black screen for about 1 min then the login for my account. I notice a lot of hard drive activity during the black screen. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Slugger, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Slugger Win User

black screen during bootup

During boot up I get a black screen for about 1 min then the login for my account. I notice a lot of hard drive activity during the black screen. I'm using amd-catalyst-15.10beta-64bit-win10-win8.1-win7-oct12.exe (latest one).
    Win 10 works fine except for the black screen. I've had this black screen since day one but it seems to be longer.
    I have tried AMD 15.7.1 driver.

I don't have an on board graphics.

I'm almost thinking of grabbing another hard drive and do a clean install and see if that fixes it.

What in heck is windows doing when a black screen occurs?

:)

Slugger, Oct 21, 2015
  2. StephenB_ Win User

30-60 second black screen with cursor on every boot

Thanks for the links Parth, unfortunately neither of them helped.

The first link only mentions a black screen during windows installation, which I had, but fixed by unplugging my TV from my second display port. That is not the case with the black screen I get on boot.

The second link has information on disabling the on-board graphics chip, I also did that but it didn't fix my problem.

I'm hoping to find the cause of the multiple attempts to load dxgkrnl.sys during bootup after it's already been loaded because, unless that's something fairly common, I think it could be causing the black screen.

StephenB_, Oct 21, 2015
  3. Windows Startup with Black Screen only a arrow with blinking

Hi,

We suggest that you check Andrew_HP's reply on Nov. 11, 2014 on the link below and see if it works for you:

Windows 10 Black screen on bootup.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Oct 21, 2015
  4. black screen during bootup

Do you have an SSD or HDD?
    If you have an HDD, that's most likely the problem. It's probably a slow drive. If it's a Solid-State driver(SSD) Then it has to be corrupt. Replace the hard drive and it should fix the problem.
    Note:
    first try reinstalling windows 10 using a media drive.

AbAppletic, Oct 21, 2015
  5. I noticed it too. It shouldn't happen very often though, as in my case. Only thing I know to do: make sure drivers are updated every so often, and wait for Windows updates to fix some of these bugs. That's about all you can do, I think.

Some people recommend a clean install for Windows 10, but there is no guarantee that it will fix it, and it is a bit of a hassle.

DustSailor, Oct 21, 2015
  6. In short: loading. You might be able to get the time down by optimizing your computer a bit. Things like disabling startup programs, getting a faster antivirus program (there are faster ones than Defender), faster SSD, more RAM, Disk Cleanup, and Drive Optimizer (Windows), etc.

DustSailor, Oct 21, 2015
  7. Slugger Win User
    I thought about it and remembered I had changed the page file to another drive that happens to be slow when opening with explorer.
    I reset it back to C: drive. Now it boots up faster. I still get a black screen but it is faster. So windows is playing around with the page file during the black screen. I have 24 gigs of ram. Would i be faster with no page file?

Slugger, Oct 21, 2015
  8. black screen during bootup

No, many programs require a paging file, and you will probably receive frequent pop-up errors if you disable it. It is recommended to have the paging file on an SSD. You can move the paging file to another SSD drive other than the OS drive (i.e. another drive entirely, NOT a partition on the same drive), which frees up the main drive a bit.

I always had trouble with that, so I just kept my paging file 'system-managed' and on the OS drive, like it is on default.

DustSailor, Oct 21, 2015
  9. Slugger Win User
    I tried it without the pagefile and what a difference. Shaved off 30 secs. I'll set it back.
    So it looks like an SSD drive is in my future.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Slugger, Oct 21, 2015
  10. twl845 Win User
    I noticed a similar black screen period with WIN 7 as well. So when I first booted with WIN10 I assumed the black screen period of boot up to be normal. It's only a brief time, and if you know it's normal it's not disturbing. A few times it lasted a longer period than normal, and I got apprehensive, but then the desktop appeared.

twl845, Oct 22, 2015
  11. You do not necessarily have to purchase one, But things WILL be faster if you do use one. If you're happy now, then no need to spend the extra Dolla

DustSailor, Oct 22, 2015
  12. Slugger Win User
    The 3rd hard drive I am using is a Western Digital 1 Tb 7200 rpm SATA III drive. Sometimes when opening it with Windows Explorer is would pause for a few secs then open. Other times it opens quick. I have my main drive with a 320 gigs and another 2nd 320 gig drive. Both 320 gigs drive open quickly.
    Maybe the 1TB drive is bad. I replaced it with another 1 TB drive. It does the same thing and it's on a different data drive channel.
    So I'm leading toward maybe it's the Microsoft hard drive driver. It's definitely something in Windows 10 causing the occasional pause. I'm going to wait for the next big Win 10 update in November.

Slugger, Oct 22, 2015
  13. Leechap Win User

I upgraded the day the day Win 10 came out as I am a self confessed computer nerd for the past 2 decades. My system is a laptop from 2012 but uses an i7 processor with good specs (HP Envy 15 3040) with 16 gigs ram. Ran win7 fast as you would like it to however, my system has the same black screen issue that you face since day 1.

I have tried everything and still no solution. Everything is updated with new drivers and tweaked. Hell, I have been running it since day 1 and now we are months later. NOTHING will get rid of that sluggish boot so it is clearly some piece of hardware that causes it in my case. Since this is a laptop I can't swap out much other than the HD but I have just come to accept that. I do NOT expect this issue to change with the update Nov 2 (although I wish it would)...

New systems will obviously be built with hardware that is fully compatible with Win 10 and will therefore, not suffer from this problem. Other than than that my system runs faster than Win 7 once it finally boots up fully. I run video editing software and Photoshop with are all pretty resource intensive and often at the same time with many other programs running as well and not even a slight system slow down so over all I am very impressed with Win 10.

Leechap, Oct 22, 2015
  14. There is a big update coming out November with plenty of fixes. One thing you might be able to do is see if western digital has any firmware updates for your HDD. Besides this, the BIOS actually has a hand in some of that stuff, so you might see if you're able to update that.
    Defragment, and hope it works better!

DustSailor, Oct 22, 2015
  15. Slugger Win User
    I was monitoring with Procmon.exe and noticed this \USB Drivers\25_escape\conn\ss_conn_service.exe. Samsung Smart Switch service used to back up my Samsung S6. It was installed on the drive I'm having problems with. I disabled the service SAMSUNG Mobile Connectivity Service. So far the 1 tb drive is opening quickly.

I'll write back as I monitor the drive.

Slugger, Oct 22, 2015
Thema:

1. black screen during bootup - Similar Threads - black screen during

2. Computer Black Screens on Bootup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Black Screens on Bootup: My computer black screens when I boot it up and never reaches the log in screen or loads windows. I've tried using commands with the keys on my keyboard, but no keys actually bring up anything on my screen to actually make a change. My cursor doesn't show up on the screen...
  3. Computer Black Screens on Bootup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Black Screens on Bootup: My computer black screens when I boot it up and never reaches the log in screen or loads windows. I've tried using commands with the keys on my keyboard, but no keys actually bring up anything on my screen to actually make a change. My cursor doesn't show up on the screen...
  4. Computer Black Screens on Bootup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Black screen on bootup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen on bootup: Hi, I get a black screen. On start up, it looks like my laptop is booting normally, then the display goes black. The drive light and fan keep running. It’s happened a couple of times in the last month and both times, it’s come back on after turning it off and restarting it....
  6. Black screen on bootup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen on bootup: Hi, I get a black screen. On start up, it looks like my laptop is booting normally, then the display goes black. The drive light and fan keep running. It’s happened a couple of times in the last month and both times, it’s come back on after turning it off and restarting it....
  7. Black screen on bootup

8. Help with black screen at bootup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with black screen at bootup?: Powered my laptop on, only to find myself stuck at the loading bootup screen. Powered on/off until the Preparing Automatic Repair text appears under the loading circle, except it just cuts to a black screen with my cursor and winpeshl.exe Pried open my laptop and poked...
  9. BSOD during bootup (black screen 2min -> BSOD)

BSOD during bootup (black screen 2min -> BSOD): Hello I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from 7. I did choose the non-clean install, and i wish to keep it this way. i do NOT wish to clean install, as id rather just fix the problem. Anyways, my problem is; During the boot process, the pc startet to take a long time,...
  10. Black screen and WAIT during bootup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen and WAIT during bootup: For two years I have had three hard drives installed. One small one went bad and at bootup I would get that information with "Press F1 to resume" which I would do and then windows would load. I upgraded to windows 10 from 7 three weeks ago, same message, and no problem, as it...