Windows 10: Black screen error in Windows 10?

Discus and support Black screen error in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just can't figure this out! Not every time, but sporadically my Windows 10 install will lock on a black screen with moving cursor after login, after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DannyG13, Jun 1, 2016.

1. DannyG13 Win User

Black screen error in Windows 10?

Just can't figure this out!

Not every time, but sporadically my Windows 10 install will lock on a black screen with moving cursor after login, after putting in my password. Only way out is a hard reset. I have no idea how to fix this, and I've tried a few things.

It works fine 70% of the time but just occasionally I get that black screen. I'm on one monitor so it's not a multi screen issue. I'm at a total loss here. It also started happening only with the latest build, not the previous one.

Any ideas?

Windows 10 x64
    32GB Corsair RAM @ 1800
    2x980Ti SLI
    Asus Z97-A.

:)

DannyG13, Jun 1, 2016

2. Windows 10 black screen of death with no cursor on to the Screen

I too was suffering from Windows Black Screen. Thankfully, the following post came as a savior.

How to fix Windows Black Screen Error: 100% Working

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

POONAMVERMA, Jun 1, 2016
  3. Windows 10 update of

Hi Sancho,

Have you encountered any error messages prior to the black screen issue?

You can refer to this link for troubleshooting steps for the black screen error:

Troubleshoot black screen error.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Ariane End, Jun 1, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

One of the first i would think of is the display adapter driver, install the latest or uninstall and reinstall or install a different version driver (older). Try different ports and cables to the Graphics card and monitor. Same issue on either Graphics card ? What PSU, wattage and Amps on +12v rail ?

jds63, Jun 1, 2016
  5. DannyG13 Win User
    I've had this issue on all Nvidia driver revisions I've tried. 19's last set had this, and then the current 22's. PSU is Corsair 100W, 12v is at 12.10. Puzzling issue is it only ever happens on my user account - my other half never gets this despite using the PC plenty. Which makes me think a process unique to my user account is causing this. I'm trying to use trial and error to eliminate that possibility, but as I said, it didn't happen with the previous build of Windows 10 nor Windows 7 before it. It's something unique to this build of W10.

DannyG13, Jun 2, 2016
  6. jds63 Win User
    19's & 22's ?? Wait PSU full wattage is 100W and amps on 12v rail 12 ?? Not good for dual 980ti then. That is strange a different user account would cause black screen at boot up ? Mean after sign in then ?

jds63, Jun 2, 2016
  7. DannyG13 Win User
    Sorry, typo, meant 1000W! Amps on 12V not sure, all I can give is the real-time v reading and it's 12.10v. Yes, sign in/login/password input. And no, I never said anything about boot up. I only ever said sign in. This is not a boot issue but a sign in issue, and only with one account.

I am isolating the programs that only run in my account, and closing them every sleep. if I never see a black screen again, one of them is the culprit.

DannyG13, Jun 2, 2016
  8. jds63 Win User

O.k. i thought so about the PSU not being just a 100W and being possibly a 1000W but had to confirm with you. I misread you did say after sign in but again never heard of this happening it is quite odd. I would feel each user account is different due to settings and access of programs. To me blank screen always makes me think of the Display adapter and it's driver, maybe a sleep issue and if a software i wonder which could cause this since i have no list to go by. Try safe mode or a clean boot that will eliminate Software (Running Processes) and drivers being the issue.

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-10-to-troubleshoot-software-conflicts.7964/

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

jds63, Jun 2, 2016
  9. DannyG13 Win User
    Well like I say, I've come up with a way of trying to find out which one it might be. I agree on the display adapter being the issue, but in conjunction with whatever program is causing the problem.

DannyG13, Jun 3, 2016
  10. jds63 Win User
    Clean boot is a way and so can using Safe Mode by needing to sign in again after a restart to your account. Well if it was a display adapter it would cause issues to both users i felt now that you explained about it being only one user account. I never came across this type of issue before to be sure of a cause like this to 2 different user accounts. I think each user accounts can only have access to certain software and i believe have different settings this is all i can think of. True it seems like a display adapter driver or hardware issue and was my first thought till i understood and reread the issue.

jds63, Jun 3, 2016
  11. DannyG13 Win User
    Well it wasn't one of my apps anyway. Happened again. I always seem to get the oddest glitches. Completely at a loss to fix this. I've tried a couple of things but can't really see them helping.

DannyG13, Jun 5, 2016
  12. jds63 Win User
    Please explain what you have tried so far so we can further help you.

jds63, Jun 5, 2016
  13. DannyG13 Win User

Well what I tried wasn't the cure - I tried, as you know, selective apps. That wasn't it. Then I tweaked the HDD & SDD to ensure they were in the correct SATA channel. And disabled HDD power management. Then I got another black screen today.

However I am making progress. I disconnected the HDMI and reconnected it - it now gave me the photo screen. Soon as I did anything I caught a glimpse of the lock screen and it went black again. So I typed in my password again and hey presto, logged in.

Does that help? I've tried clean driver uninstall/reinstall so I don't think it's that, and my motherboard does not have onboard VGA. The only video possibility is that I have two 980Ti for SLI. But it wasn't an issue with the previous build of Windows 10.

DannyG13, Jun 6, 2016
  14. DannyG13 Win User
    Ok, it happened on the other half's account and that time I couldn't retrieve it. Furthermore, Windows P DOES work (projector option appears) but makes no difference. I'm still left with a blank screen. This is becoming infuriating.

DannyG13, Jun 6, 2016
  15. jds63 Win User
    I am not sure what you mean by selective apps and how you did this, be more specific if you can. Also tweaking the HDD & SSD to the correct channel, AHCI mode ?

Power management for HDD will only shut off the HDD when not in use but start up as soon as it's accessed, well i turn that off because i feel it can wear out an HDD over time spinning up and down.
    Have you then also checked this ?

Black screen error in Windows 10? [​IMG]

Do you use Hibernate ?

Ever try a different connection, DVI, Display Port instead of HDMI or change the HDMI cable to another, also try a different monitor to eliminate these causes besides possible Display Adapter driver being the issue. Since now it happened with other user account we know it is not anything said before about settings changes to each account, but still can be software conflict, driver conflict or hardware issues.

You need to try safe mode and clean boot for awhile as told to try to eliminate the source i know it is difficult and frustrating.
    You need to try what was advised also.

jds63, Jun 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Black screen error in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Black screen error

2. Black screen error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen error: I am having a black screen error the display is not visible nor the cursor is seen just when the laptop starts and audio is heard not even the manufacturer logo when the laptop starts is visible ctrl + alt + delete is not working even continuous power on shut down is not...
  3. Windows 10 black screen error

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 black screen error: My windows 7 laptop has been updated to windows 10 .When starting on my laptop it showed that your device ran into a problem,and it automatically fixed it but , after the windows logo appeared it shows a black screen and the cursor alone.I have tried many ways but it didn't...
  4. Windows 10 black screen error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 black screen error: My windows 7 laptop has been updated to windows 10 .When starting on my laptop it showed that your device ran into a problem,and it automatically fixed it but , after the windows logo appeared it shows a black screen and the cursor alone.I have tried many ways but it didn't...
  5. Windows 10 black screen error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Black screen error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen error: First i had a windows 7 but i updated it using tool to windows 10 suddenly there was a disk checking and now when i start my system after entering the password i can see only a cursor on a Black screen please reply i tried it to solve using task manager but when i open the...
  7. Black screen error

Black screen error: First i had a windows 7 but i updated it using tool to windows 10 suddenly there was a disk checking and now when i start my system after entering the password i can see only a cursor on a Black screen please reply i tried it to solve using task manager but when i open the...
  8. Black screen error

9. Windows Black screen error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Black screen error: Hey, I recently came across problem , which i discovered today , actually there are two problems happening, they might be related .. the first problem is : When i restart windows , and after login , there is a Black screen with only mouse cursor. I read solutions , and...
  10. WINDOWS 10 BLACK SCREEN ERROR

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WINDOWS 10 BLACK SCREEN ERROR: Hello So i came home from school and started my pc(desktop) up as usual, but when the windows logo came up it said repairing the c drive and i dont remember schedueling a repair or update. I recently factory reseted my pc about a few days priar to this error. No malware was...