Windows 10: Black Screen for 1 min every startup

Discus and support Black Screen for 1 min every startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; New PC (check my specs) that has a problem. From the first start up I always get a Black screen that lasts just over 1 minute. Then the screen starts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CRGibson, Jan 12, 2018.

1. CRGibson Win User

Black Screen for 1 min every startup

New PC (check my specs) that has a problem. From the first start up I always get a Black screen that lasts just over 1 minute. Then the screen starts with the Welcome Screen. Then everything is OK (some times - another post will follow).

I have UEFI which I know nothing about. Don't know if this the problem but I would like to reset the startup to have USB as first on the list.

I tried using a rescue disk from Reflect that should started but did not.

Thanks for any help.

:)

CRGibson, Jan 12, 2018

2. Youtube video(full screen) just turn black after few second of watching with Edge

same but the screen turns black for every thing. it takes a few min

ExcessFlame2764, Jan 12, 2018
  3. how to change screen time out setting in Windows 10

followed instructions timer set at 10 mins clearly not working as it screen goes black after 1 min or less of inactivity

davidjcooke, Jan 12, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 13, 2018
  5. Hi CRGibson.

Couple of different topics here.

First for your black screen. Get windows running normally. Right click start, then either click Command Prompt(admin) or Powershell(admin) and then type this command.

powercfg -h off

This shuts off hibernation and in turn windows fast startup. Just a test. If that does nothing you can reset hibernation by using the command again but change the word off to on.

If that does fix black screen then you will want to turn hibernation on and shut off Windows Fast Startup and test.

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

To enter your BIOS when you first power on your computer press F2 to enter setup. I would caution you changes can be very detrimental. Note what you change and how you got there. See if Dell has details in User manual around BIOS settings.

To temporarily change boot up order, when you first power on you should be able to hit F12 on Dell.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jan 13, 2018
  6. CRGibson Win User
    Brink - I had just knew I had turned "Fast Start" off when first working on the PC - so I just did it again. It just made the Black Screen last only just over 40 seconds ( little improvement).

Caledon - The F2 and F12 keys did nothing but make the Black Screen last much longer. The black screen went over 4 min before I hit the power button to restart again.

Thanks to both of you guys for the suggestions.

CRGibson, Jan 13, 2018
  7. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey CRGibson,
    What is the exact Model (XPS 8920-xxxx) ... I can't tell from your specs, but it looks like you might have a AMD/ATI Graphics Card ?

If you do then it could be that you need to disable AMD/ATI Ultra Low Power State.

Open Regedit and search for EnableULPS and set it's value to 0 and reboot PC.
    Note: Do not change EnableULPS_NA

Eagle51, Jan 13, 2018
  8. Black Screen for 1 min every startup

Did you shut off Hibernation?

Another way to get to BIOS is hold shift key down and click restart. It will take you to Advance Startup Options. If you follow tutorila sceen shots you will see option for UEFI firmware.

Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

Wonder why standard F keys on Dell not working?

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Black Screen for 1 min every startup - Similar Threads - Black Screen min

2. Black screen on startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen on startup: Whenever I login to my pc, things like discord and steam run on start, and then after about 30 seconds, the screen goes black, and the only way I can get it back to normal is by using the record video shortcut with the Radeon program that came with my GPU submitted by...
  3. Black screen on startup.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen on startup.: This isn't a major problem, but a minor nuisance. When I restart my laptop not including fast startups or waking from sleep mode there's a black screen that appears after the Windows logo. The only way to bypass it is by closing and reopening my laptop. I think on the black...
  4. Black Screen for 1 min every startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black Screen for 1 min every startup: I have had this issue for quite some time now and no matter where i check, i cannot find a solution to my problem. every time I start my PC, the MSI logo comes up, then disappears like normal, but then i have a black screen for approximately a minute before i can see my lock...
  5. Black Screen On Startup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Black Screen On Startup: When I turn on the computer it opens the forst boot-up screen/splash screen but then goes black. I can't see nor access anything. I've tried system restores and resets but still black....
  6. Black screen on startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen on startup: Idk how this happened, but my pc is fucked. Updated it last night. After the update, I didn't bother using it cuz I wanted to sleep. I used the 'update and shutdown' button from start. Then, this morning, my pc decided to remove the update and then after that I tried using...
  7. Black Screen on Startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black Screen on Startup: After updating one of my display drivers my screen went totally black. Ive restarted my computer many times and still get a black screen. It also seems that I am unable to boot up the safe mode menu through the key shortcuts....
  8. My PC is black screen for 10 mins every time i boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC is black screen for 10 mins every time i boot: last week i reset my pc to the factory settings and now every time i open my pc its black screen for 10 minutes or so. after 10 minutes keyboard and mouse's lights go off and on again and then it opens....
  9. W-10 logs off to black screen with 1 min of no activity

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    W-10 logs off to black screen with 1 min of no activity: Recently, about time of last update, my W-10 Pro, Dell xps8920 desktop began logging me out to black screen after approx 60 sec of inactivity - continuously. I can tap L mouse & return to password entry screen. I've tried resetting power options to default, changed advanced...
  10. black screen on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    black screen on startup: hi, i have acer aspire 5740 laplop, core i3, . A problem occured extending c windows drive as described below. it have 3 local drives c - 20gb boot primary drive d- 90 gb system , primary drive e - 50 gb logical some unallocated space, i was extending c ,by...