Windows 10: Black screen issue with video playing apps

Discus and support Black screen issue with video playing apps in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have recently started experiencing this issue on my PC that seems to be affecting all of the video playing apps (Netflix, Vudu, etc.) from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Charles Ligus, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Black screen issue with video playing apps

I have recently started experiencing this issue on my PC that seems to be affecting all of the video playing apps (Netflix, Vudu, etc.) from the Windows 10 store. This is what the issue is: I watch a movie or TV show on something like Netflix or Vudu, and it plays fine. But if I go to watch something on one of those apps after I booted up my PC from sleep, the entire screen goes black unless I close the app. I can still hear the video playing in the background, but nothing is visible on screen. And I don't mean just the video, I mean the entire PC monitor goes black. Restarting the PC fixes this issue, and I only experience the issues after the PC has went into and woken up from sleep mode. This issue does not seem to be affecting the browser versions of the softwares. And I have tried reinstalling all softwares I am having this trouble with, but nothing seems to help. I am sorry if anyone is confused by my explanation. This doesn't seem to be happening on the other Windows device in my house, but then that device runs on an intel processor, and the PC with the problems runs on AMD. And for those who don't know, recently some PCs running AMD (including mine) had an issue caused by either the June or July 2018 updates that resulted in high CPU usage 24/7. Luckily, this was fixed in the recent August update, but maybe there were some issues that were left unfixed.

:)

Charles Ligus, Aug 26, 2018

2. Unable to play video games on Windows 10, black screen after log-in screen

Hi Natasha,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the Windows 10 operating system, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• From where are you trying to play the video games (downloaded/ from website)?
    • If you are playing games from website which browser are you using?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message when the game crashes?
    • Are you able log-in to your computer?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated display drivers.

As you see black screen while logging to the desktop, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article about this issue, try the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Also, I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 27, 2018
  3. black screen when trying to play videos .

Hello , I have a HP Pavilion dv7 laptop . videos do play on my browser , you tube , virgin media etc . when I try to play a dvd I have audio but no video , black screen, same as when I try to play video clips that I have saved in my videos folder . My default
    video player installed on this laptop is cyberlink and the web cam is cyberlink you cam .

I have used the Microsoft help desk 4 times and I have had remote assistance but I still have the problem with video playback since installing windows 10 . I am seriously considering going back to windows 7 .

paulledster, Aug 27, 2018
  4. Argel Obm Win User

Black screen issue with video playing apps

Screen flashes black when viewing a YouTube video

Hi Cody,

We need to gather more information for us to better assist you on your screen concern. Kindly answer these questions:

• Were there any changes made on your computer before encountering the flashing black screen issue?
    • Are you using a laptop or a desktop? If you're using a laptop, does your screen flashes black when using the built-in monitor? If you're using a desktop, do you experience the issue when using other monitors?
    • Does the issue only occur when you play YouTube videos?
    • Are you experiencing the flashing black screen issue while watching YouTube videos in full screen mode or while in window mode?
    • Do you experience the same concern when playing YouTube videos using other web browsers?

The issue may be occurring because of an incompatible application or the display driver is outdated. While we wait for the answers to our questions, kindly follow the steps found in this
    link. The article will provide you the steps that can usually resolve screen flickering issue in Windows

We await for your response.

Argel Obm, Aug 27, 2018
Thema:

Black screen issue with video playing apps

1. Black screen issue with video playing apps - Similar Threads - Black screen issue

2. No audio and black screen on videos issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No audio and black screen on videos issue: Hello,I really need help with my issue. Ever since my laptop got the latest update on Win 11 I am unable to hear any audio and all my videos, online or local, only show a black screen.I have tried every possible solution to this issue. Run the troubleshooter, uninstall and...
  3. No audio and black screen on videos issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No audio and black screen on videos issue: Hello,I really need help with my issue. Ever since my laptop got the latest update on Win 11 I am unable to hear any audio and all my videos, online or local, only show a black screen.I have tried every possible solution to this issue. Run the troubleshooter, uninstall and...
  4. Temporary black screen playing youtube videos, driver issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Temporary black screen playing youtube videos, driver issues: MSI GF66 11UCi5-11400h, 16gb ddr4, rtx 3050 laptopwindows 22623.746When I'm watching videos, so far this has happened with Youtube videos, randomly the screen turns black, the audio completely glitches out and staggers with a single tone and my mouse is gone. Inputs do...
  5. Temporary black screen playing youtube videos, driver issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Temporary black screen playing youtube videos, driver issues: MSI GF66 11UCi5-11400h, 16gb ddr4, rtx 3050 laptopwindows 22623.746When I'm watching videos, so far this has happened with Youtube videos, randomly the screen turns black, the audio completely glitches out and staggers with a single tone and my mouse is gone. Inputs do...
  6. videos play in black and white

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    videos play in black and white: I have Windows 10 and when I play a CNN video and other videos, they play in black and white. When I disconnect the power cord, they play in color. Any ideas?...
  7. Videos not playing properly (Black Screen, Green Screen)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Videos not playing properly (Black Screen, Green Screen): Hello, I've run into a problem with videos not playing properly after installing the Asus ATK package from the support website. First, Youtube Videos failed to load the actual videos, only having the sound playing, with only a black screen. I disabled Hardware Acceleration...
  8. Black screen during game play and videos.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Black screen during game play and videos.: I recently installed my new GTX 1050 Ti and updated it with all the latest drivers from the Nvidia website but for some reason my monitor keeps black screening whenever I start up a game or go to watch a video on Youtube. It's not too bad with the videos as it happens for...
  9. Video play green or black screen

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Video play green or black screen: After Win 10 installed, everything works fine except for videos. When I try to view them using my Facebook page, I am just getting a green or black screen although I usually have audio -- but not always. I have installed and updated AMD drivers. Thank you. 13786
  10. Video play green or black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Video play green or black screen: Getting a green or black screen when playing videos through Facebook. But, if I go directly to YouTube, the videos play with no problem. Thank you. 14343