Windows 10: Black screen no cursor (Graphics card driver problems?)

Discus and support Black screen no cursor (Graphics card driver problems?) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey ya'll! I just updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Here's my specs: Alienware M15x - R1 Notebook Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT Intel Core2 Duo CPU... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Soda08, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Soda08 Win User

Black screen no cursor (Graphics card driver problems?)

Hey ya'll! I just updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Here's my specs:

Alienware M15x - R1 Notebook
    Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz
    (if you need more specs let me know)

So, I had problems going from Vista to windows 7 because of graphics drivers in the past, and I assume this is the same problem. What happened was I installed everything, came back and my screen was black, no cursor, with the laptop still on. I turned it off and turned it back on, and after the windows load-up it goes black again.

I tried using windows + p to project to a different monitor, but no luck. I tried a lot of different things that I won't bore you with.

Here's my guesses: My graphics driver is out of date, so once I get that up to date I think I might be good, but I'm not sure.
    I'm currently on integrated graphics mode, which I think is helping as well. I think the other setting is called external, but I'm not positive, I apologize. I think when my battery is low and I start up my laptop, it switches to inegrated to conserve power, which is why I'm able to be on here right now.

I just downloaded & installed a driver for my graphics card from Geforce.com, and am gonna reboot, which is why I posted this now in case I can't make it back, lol. If you post though I'll be able to see it on my phone, but I might not be able to respond (I can't type sometimes - it closes my keyboard).

Thank you for reading. I hope I can get this solved and help people having the same problem.

Good luck!*Wink

:)

Soda08, Sep 7, 2015

2. Multiple monitors black screen with cursor

I checked various posts about black screen with cursor but I find no solution.

I have 3 monitors. 2 are connected through nVidia Quadro FX 1500 graphic card and the third monitor is connected through onboard Intel HD Graphic. When I fresh install windows 10 all 3 monitors work fine but the resolution on two monitors connected into nVidia
    graphic card was bad, so I installed windows 8 drivers for nVidia graphic card (because I couldn't find drivers for win 10) and everything was working fine. Then after a computer restart I get the black screen with only cursor.

If I unplug the third monitor which is connected through the onboard graphic card the other two monitor start working fine. If I plug the third monitor I get the black screen again.

What is the problem that cause this? Are the drivers for nVidia graphic the problem or is the problem with the Intel HD drivers or ...?

Flagellum Dei, Sep 7, 2015
  3. intel hd / ati radeon graphics i want my old driver back not this damn ati radeon 6300m

i fixed the problem ... installed 64 bit version of windows 10 and stopped windows from installing my graphics

drivers .. That solved the black screen with cursor at windows login .. Then I used http://leshcatlabs.net/ and installed latest catalyst for my graphics card ...No problems at all now ..

mikeydarkstone39, Sep 7, 2015
  4. Soda08 Win User

Update: It was my graphics card driver like I thought. I took it to the IT guys at my school and taught me that if you restart the computer during boot up (white windows symbol with circling white dots) two or three times it will boot you in to repair mode, which you can then use to boot in safe mode.

With (FINALLY) access to seeing what I was doing I was able to uninstall my driver for my graphics card driver and install the new one. The new driver, however, had the same problems, so I uninstalled my Nvidia GeForce driver and am currently running on the Microsoft standard driver for my graphics, which puts me in to VGA mode.

For those with similar problems, please note that Nvidia will install background software that will update your graphics card driver automatically, thus giving you black screens again. Just run safe mode, uninstall the display adapter driver in the device manager (windows+x, then the m button), reboot, uninstall all the Nvidia software, and you should be fine.

I'm sure Alienware will sooner or later come out with a working driver for my graphics card, but in the mean time I'm content with what I have. I'm using it purely for low-end work (no gaming), so all is well here.

I hope this article helps someone. Best of luck!

Soda08, Sep 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Black screen no cursor (Graphics card driver problems?) - Similar Threads - Black screen cursor

2. Black screen and cursor problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen and cursor problem: When I turn on the PC, since Nov 23, the cursor is attached to a black screen. So when I move the cursor from bottom to top then a black surface covers the screen below the cursor. The issue is not there when using keyboard navigation.I'd find this thread but it doesn't have...
  3. Black screen and cursor problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen and cursor problem: When I turn on the PC, since Nov 23, the cursor is attached to a black screen. So when I move the cursor from bottom to top then a black surface covers the screen below the cursor. The issue is not there when using keyboard navigation.I'd find this thread but it doesn't have...
  4. Windows turned to black screen with cursor after graphic driver update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows turned to black screen with cursor after graphic driver update: Currently posting from a phone. Even when I do ctrl shift win b, nothing happens. I downloaded the graphic card driver update directly from GeForce Experience,and this never happened before. Can anyone please help me solve it?...
  5. Windows turned to black screen with cursor after graphic driver update

Windows turned to black screen with cursor after graphic driver update: Currently posting from a phone. Even when I do ctrl shift win b, nothing happens. I downloaded the graphic card driver update directly from GeForce Experience,and this never happened before. Can anyone please help me solve it?...
  6. Black screen and cursor problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen and cursor problem: When I turn on the laptop it's getting stuck on the black screen with cursor on it. I have tried all the methods that are available online but i couldn't open either task manager or the trouble shooting screen to solve it. So, please help me....
  7. Black screen and cursor problem

Black screen and cursor problem: When I turn on the laptop it's getting stuck on the black screen with cursor on it. I have tried all the methods that are available online but i couldn't open either task manager or the trouble shooting screen to solve it. So, please help me....
  8. Screen turns black after updating graphics card driver

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen turns black after updating graphics card driver: Hello there. I have been experiencing the following issue: on January 15th my screen suddenly turned black. I tried the combination windows+ctrl+shift+b - no response. I deinstalled some drivers - nothing. Since my computer is only for gaming, I decided to reinstall Windows...
  9. Graphic Card- Black Screen.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Graphic Card- Black Screen.: Hello recently I bought Graphic card GT 710 DDR5 2GB that support max resolution 2160P I worked with that for a while until windows 10 1809 released then I download that and install it on my PC then going to install driver of Graphic card then screen goes black I tried...
  10. Black Screen with cursor and graphic glitch

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen with cursor and graphic glitch: Hi I would like to ask an assistance about my current issue. I will write all the details and changes i made completely. I scanned my PC using windows defender and it has detected a threat Trojan.Html brocoiner rfn. I deleted it and scanned again using adware cleaner. After...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. graphics card driver black screen no cursor