Windows 10: BLACK screen of death overnight.

Discus and support BLACK screen of death overnight. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This only seems to happen once a few days, but not ever day. When I leave my computer overnight, I wake up to a computer that has no response frozen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by diltefon, Jan 14, 2017.

1. diltefon Win User

BLACK screen of death overnight.

This only seems to happen once a few days, but not ever day.

When I leave my computer overnight, I wake up to a computer that has no response frozen on black screen.
    My mouse and keyboard (for Caps Lock, and Nums Lock) have LED which are glowing, but the computer seems to be unresponsive.

I intentionally had a music program on so I pressed a media key to play to see if it's only visual, but no go.
    By pressing Caps Lock, the LED no longer turns on/off which leads me to believe this is in fact completely frozen.

As far as I can tell, this never happens when I'm using it.
    When I restart the computer, the computer boots up fine with no error messages, I believe, but some programs (Firefox) recognizes that it was shutdown unexpectedly and prompts to restore the saved session.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
    i7-2600K
    980Ti with latest drivers installed.

:)

diltefon, Jan 14, 2017
  2. Rose Cal Win User

BSOD after latest Creator's Windows Update

Hi,

The issue you encountered can occur if a problem causes your computer to shut down or restart unexpectedly. To better assist you, we'd like to ask if are you referring to Blue Screen of Death or Black Screen of Death? If you are referring to Blue Screen
    of Death, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article:
    Troubleshoot blue screen errors.
    It will provide you instructions how to correct blue screen error. If you are referring to Black Screen of Death, we recommend that you perform the steps in this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors.
    It will let you correct black screen issues.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jan 14, 2017
  3. BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH

IM TRYING TO RESET

MY PHONE

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

michaeltmiller, Jan 14, 2017
  4. BLACK screen of death overnight.

Could you provide some specs on your machine?

Are you overclocking?

Since you say it doesn't happen when you are using it have you considered disabling hibernation as a test? I saw you had music running so one would think that would have kept from Hibernation. Its a starting point. command prompt(admin) powercfg -h off

Have you check Windows Update history, any failures that maybe repeating?

There is a driver verify tutorial that may assist in driving out any driver issues. As per the warnings don't over do it.

Caledon Ken, Jan 15, 2017
  5. diltefon Win User
    Hi.
    No overclocks. What other specs are you looking for?

I don't see any failed Windows Update.

I did try driver verifier, but it gets stuck in the DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION BSOD loop. Windows fails to repair.
    I could not turn it off following in the guide found somewhere in the forums, but I was able to do it by booting safe mode.

Via bluescreenview, this is all I get: https://i.imgur.com/TvLAPYU.png

diltefon, Jan 15, 2017
  6. Motherboard, rough outline of storage architecture, power supply size, version / build of Win 10.

Lots of people are reading and something may just tweak with someone. There is room in your profile for all makes of information.

I would take your dump and follow the instruction in the BSOD posting area. They have expertise to evaluate dumps. If driver verify can't run then you may be on to root cause.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

BLACK screen of death overnight.

1. BLACK screen of death overnight. - Similar Threads - BLACK screen death

2. Black Screen of Death

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen of Death: The moment I boot up my PC, all that displays is a black screen with my cursor. I have watched dozens of tutorials and the one thing they point to is hitting CTRL - ALT - DEL to open up Task Manager, but when I hit those keys nothing happens. Is there any solution? Thank you....
  3. Black screen of death

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen of death: HI microsoft i have a problem where i resetted my pc and now all i see is a black screen i have no corsair NO COMMANDS work NO STARTUP REPAIR WORKS i have no restore points i have tried everything what do i do i cant go into task manager or nothing like that PLS HELP Do i...
  4. Black Screen of Death

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen of Death: After login, the screen just goes black. I can see my mouse pointer. The PC runs fine in safe mode. This happened after an update so i tried to uninstall the update but as soon as i do windows just reinstalls it again. The video driver is up-to-date....
  5. Black Screen of Death

Black Screen of Death: Since the last feature update my wife and a friend, who both have new laptops running Windows 10 have both experienced the exact same problem. On starting their machine, they get to the sign in page and the progress circle of dots continues for longer than usual, then the...
  6. Black screen of death

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen of death: I was playing a game and it froze. Then i restarted my computer but it got stuck on the blue restarting screen for minutes so I unplugged my computer and plugged it back up, but the infinite windows loading screen started. At this point I'm like oh shit so I looked up a video...
  7. Black Screen Of Death

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen Of Death: I see that the BSOD section is only for Blue Screen, but what about Black Screen which I now get every time after about an hour after Booting. What makes it more problematic is that the PC crashes and cannot be re-started until after an hour plus of none use, despite...
  8. Black Screen of Death

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen of Death: Hi guys, hoping to get some help here. My laptop did an update about 2 weeks ago. My computer started running slow immediately afterwards and finally crashes. When I try to do 3 hard restarts it goes to repair mode and then the black screen of death for over 24 hours. I've...
  9. Black Screen Of death

Black Screen Of death: This may seem wierd but in my case it is urgent! Recently I was notified by Windows that I need to run a CheckDisk for C: drive. I dont knw y but this happened! Scanning and repairing C drive: 54% and got stuck there. So i did a force restart and this came "Preparing...
  10. "Black" screen of Death

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    "Black" screen of Death: I think this qualifies for this BSOD section...please ignore if it doesn't. Everything is operating normally on my computer and I'll have an unpredictable black screen. No warning, just black. At that point, the power is still running the system drives, but nothing will...