Windows 10: Black screen of death: Troubleshooting help?

Discus and support Black screen of death: Troubleshooting help? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I am having problems with a DELL 4200 and an eeePC 901, both of which occasionally just switch to a black screen while I'm working, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Whyfly, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Whyfly Win User

Black screen of death: Troubleshooting help?

Hi everyone,

I am having problems with a DELL 4200 and an eeePC 901, both of which occasionally just switch to a black screen while I'm working, so I eventually have to restart the computer and thereby lose all work that wasn't previously saved. HD indicator stays off whatever I push and press, so this is not just the display failing.

Obviously, both computers have little in common (different manufacturers, different hardware etc.). What they do have in common is:

- Windows 10 (32 bit version on one, 64 bit on the other)
    - Samsung Evo 850 SSD drives

Apart from some common software, like Irfanview or Libre Office, which aren't really likely suspects imho, that's about it.

Does anyone have an idea how to troubleshoot this? If I had to guess, this is probably about some incompatibility with the Samsung drives. I've already learned that I can't use "sleep" with my Evo SSDs (sleep, as in: where the computer goes in low-energy mode but power stays on), as the system is likely to crash upon wakeup. Hibernation (where everything is saved to drive and the computer shuts down) seems to work, but the symptoms when the system eventually does crash randomly (?) are reminiscent of what I saw with sleep mode (although not the same), so maybe it doesn't work that well after all.

Unfortunatley, hibernation is quite important to me, so I'd hate to avoid using it for weeks or even months just to second-guess whether or not it is actually the culprit (current crashes aren't that frequent). So I was wondering if anyone has some more troubleshooting tips for me? Crash logs show nothing. Driver Verifier has already been used, but found nothing. Samsung Magician has been set to NOT start with Windows 10, but that didn't help.

Thanks!

:)

Whyfly, Aug 9, 2016
  2. Rose Cal Win User

BSOD after latest Creator's Windows Update

Hi,

The issue you encountered can occur if a problem causes your computer to shut down or restart unexpectedly. To better assist you, we'd like to ask if are you referring to Blue Screen of Death or Black Screen of Death? If you are referring to Blue Screen
    of Death, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article:
    Troubleshoot blue screen errors.
    It will provide you instructions how to correct blue screen error. If you are referring to Black Screen of Death, we recommend that you perform the steps in this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors.
    It will let you correct black screen issues.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Aug 9, 2016
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Windows 10 blue screen of death

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to refer the link below and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot blue screen errors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

Please try to refer to the article, created by ZigZag3143 (Windows IT Pro) on July 26, 2013, to fix your issue with BSOD.

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)

BSOD Finding and fixing them

For Black screen refer the link below and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Aug 9, 2016
  4. zzzoom Win User

Just my 2 cents here, but I am using a Samsung Evo 850 SSD drive with Windows 10 just fine. I am on an Asus motherboard that is only a few years old with the latest BIOS and chipset drivers.

I have solved sleep issues on my PC by going to my system/motherboard manufacturer support website and searching for the latest drivers. Make sure you are using the drivers for your system and not some offered by Microsoft, except as a last resort

The chipset drivers provided by your manufacturer are probably the most important to the power issues. If that doesn't help, maybe as a check your BIOS version and see if there is a newer one available. Flashing a BIOS can be risky or completely brick your system, so be sure you know what you are doing if you attempt that.

zzzoom, Aug 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Black screen of death: Troubleshooting help? - Similar Threads - Black screen death

2. Black screen of death

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen of death: Plse guys I need help...Im currently using a Toshiba Satellite C850 and the 1 moment,after I'd just did a clean installation of Windows 10,installed some new software,including Avast Antivirus,and the system just shut off while I was busy,still not sure what exactly...
  3. Blue screen of death then black screen of death please help..

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blue screen of death then black screen of death please help..: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Panda_Sap [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lrigi3/blue_screen_of_death_then_black_screen_of_death/
  4. Black screen + blank troubleshooting. HELP

Black screen + blank troubleshooting. HELP: When booting up, a black screen appears with no mouse or icons. It stays like this. I force restart a couple of times and enter troubleshooting. After there are two options: restart (which doesnt help) or advanced options. When clicking advanced options, im faced with a blank...
  5. Black screen of death

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen of death: Hey I need some help with my computer, so basically one morning my computers fans are going and signed me out I think nothing of it and start using my computer than it randomly semi restarts, the screen goes black no error message restarts and brings me to windows advanced...
  6. Troubleshooting Blue Screen of Death

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Troubleshooting Blue Screen of Death: Where do I send a link to the Community to my DMP files for troubleshooting the Blue Screen of death? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/troubleshooting-blue-screen-of-death/05c4c04f-4bec-40a1-bdb5-a1f35d9490c2
  7. Black screen of death

Black screen of death: I was playing a game and it froze. Then i restarted my computer but it got stuck on the blue restarting screen for minutes so I unplugged my computer and plugged it back up, but the infinite windows loading screen started. At this point I'm like oh shit so I looked up a video...
  8. Black Screen of Death

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen of Death: Hi guys, hoping to get some help here. My laptop did an update about 2 weeks ago. My computer started running slow immediately afterwards and finally crashes. When I try to do 3 hard restarts it goes to repair mode and then the black screen of death for over 24 hours. I've...
  9. Need Help About Black Screen of Death

in Windows 10 Support
    Need Help About Black Screen of Death: Hi All respected Members I have HP Elitebook 8460P Laptop, Core i5 Second Generation processor 2520M I am Running Windows 10 on this machine, But Recently I faced the problem about 4 or 5 times, The problem is that I am working normally on my laptop, while during work,...
  10. "Black" screen of Death

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    "Black" screen of Death: I think this qualifies for this BSOD section...please ignore if it doesn't. Everything is operating normally on my computer and I'll have an unpredictable black screen. No warning, just black. At that point, the power is still running the system drives, but nothing will...