Windows 10: Black Screen on restart, no display signal!

Discus and support Black Screen on restart, no display signal! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm having a nightmare trying to reinstall windows 10. I'll give a very brief description running up to this problem.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Adam42, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Adam42 Win User

Black Screen on restart, no display signal!

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm having a nightmare trying to reinstall windows 10. I'll give a very brief description running up to this problem.

Firstly I was using Windows7 and upgraded to windows 10 some time ago and everything worked, other than when it comes to restarting my PC. The problem is, it doesn't. What it does do is show me all the LEDs and fans spinning with the power button on the case illuminated. It appears on but no signal. The only way i can get around this problem is powering off ( shut down not restart ). and then power back on.
    I've been living with this problem for quite some time now and the old " if it aint broke, don't fix it " was constantly reminding me not go thru the hassle of installing windows again. But it's got to a point where i just want a working PC like before. So i finally took the plunge and decided to reinstall windows 10 and keep my files.

The problem is black screen when it tries to reboot itself. and i have to power off ./ power on and loads up windows with a notification that it couldn't complete the installation.

If you need any more info logs. etc. I'll be more than willing to send.

Thanks for reading and hope some of you guys and girls can help me.

Adam

:)

Adam42, Jun 8, 2017

2. Issue with system and memory compression and multiple diplays not waking

Yes once I restart it stops doing it until the next time. And same with the monitors having a black screen. If I restart they work fine. It was using 35-40% of my processor. Enough to make things laggy.

And also yes I tried to reconfigure the displays to extend when it does it, but it says they are there and already at that setting. It seems to think the monitor is there and on but no signal is sent to it.

I tried the troubleshooter and it found no errors.

GardnerAblett, Jun 8, 2017
  3. Rosemwest Win User
    Windows10 installation problem

After the Windows 10 install, my PC monitordoes not display the desktop, instead it is a black screen with an error code that reads - out of signal range. Cannot display video mode, change computer display input to 1600x1200 @ 60Hz. My PC is a Dell Dimension.
    I cannot get past this screen to change the display input. Is there a fix for this problem?

Rosemwest, Jun 8, 2017
  4. Black Screen on restart, no display signal!

Hi Adam. Welcome to the TenForums @Adam42

Can I ask how you re-installed windows 10?

When you re-install did you set secure boot and fast boot off in BIOS? I didn't look at your manual, maybe you don't have these features.

Myself I would recommend a clean install. Recognize more work but I think a better product. I would create an Image of existing system so you can at least get back to where you started. Macrium Reflect is free and recommended by members.

Anyway, lets see what members say when you describe how you did the install and if you have the BIOS settings.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jun 8, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    "So i finally took the plunge and decided to reinstall windows 10 and keep my files."

Please clarify: you used the computers windows advanced troubleshooting menu and chose reset with save files. All applications and programs were removed?

Are you files backed up?

How are you able to obtain logs at this time?

Obtain a flash drive that you can format and create a USB bootable windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10

Each computer manufacturer has a F key where you can boot to a device. For custom computers you will need to change the boot order to boot to the USB drive. Learn the method applicable to your computer so that you can use bootable USB drives to fix your computer environment.

zbook, Jun 9, 2017
  6. Adam42 Win User
    Hi there and thanks for the replies,

@ Ken, I do not see any fast or secure boot option in BIOS. Thanks for the advice using Macrium Reflect. I have a 2nd drive on my PC that has all the files i wish to keep. I'm using SSD as my main drive the OS is on and i assume the data on my 2nd drive will still be obtainable when i do a clean install of the OS.

@ zbook To clarify, Yes i used the windows feature to reset and save files. This is the 1st time i''ve used such feature as every OS install I've done in the past has been format C drive and do a complete install from USB or disc. As for logs i was basically saying if you need any more info from me and you can advise what logs/info location etc is. i'll gladly send. Sorry for the confusion.

It appears you both have suggested doing a clean install of the OS and looks like i have no other option but to do this. It is a shame not to have a solution other than reinstall windows though. Oh well if that what it takes to get fixed, then so be it.

thanks for the advice i appreciate it. I will update this post once i have done a fresh install and hopefully determine that it was either the OS or hardware that is the route cause of the problem.

Adam42, Jun 9, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
  8. Black Screen on restart, no display signal!

Hi Adam.

If all your data is on a separate drive I would disconnect it during the install.

I had a peek at a manual that I think belongs to your Motherboard. Seems there are three in the series, I downloaded H81M-p33.

Page 29 - Memory Fast Boot - please disable

I think I would also delete all partitions on what we will call the OS drive, of course after identifying each and confirming you don't need. Then let Windows create what it needs.

If you don't want to go through clean install you could try an in place repair / upgrade. This very well could work but I still recommend Clean. If you do this tutorial it will upgrade you to the creators update. Not sure if you are currently using, if not please be aware.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Black Screen on restart, no display signal!

1. Black Screen on restart, no display signal! - Similar Threads - Black Screen restart

2. DisplayPort No Signal, Black Screens

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DisplayPort No Signal, Black Screens: I bought this PC April 2021 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-supreme-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-1tb-ssd-white/6434646.p?skuId=6434646While using the PC my screens will go black and say "DisplayPort no signal." From...
  3. DisplayPort No Signal, Black Screens

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DisplayPort No Signal, Black Screens: I bought this PC April 2021 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-supreme-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-1tb-ssd-white/6434646.p?skuId=6434646While using the PC my screens will go black and say "DisplayPort no signal." From...
  4. DisplayPort No Signal, Black Screens

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Black Screen of death. No signal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen of death. No signal: I have a windows 10 tower that after I tried updating the graphics drivers it has given me nothing but a black screen on any monitor I use. I can't get them to light up for anything to try and boot into safe mode to uninstall the new updates. I've tried replacing all but the...
  6. Black Screen of death. No signal

Black Screen of death. No signal: I have a windows 10 tower that after I tried updating the graphics drivers it has given me nothing but a black screen on any monitor I use. I can't get them to light up for anything to try and boot into safe mode to uninstall the new updates. I've tried replacing all but the...
  7. Black Screen of death. No signal

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Wrong display selected now screen is black on restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong display selected now screen is black on restart: I selected the incorrect output display for my desktop now the screen is black and stays that way on restart. I have HDMI & VGA connections to my screen, but they don't work. I must have selected another output device but can't get back in to see which one!How do I correct...
  9. Wrong display selected now screen is black on restart

Wrong display selected now screen is black on restart: I selected the incorrect output display for my desktop now the screen is black and stays that way on restart. I have HDMI & VGA connections to my screen, but they don't work. I must have selected another output device but can't get back in to see which one!How do I correct...
  10. Fix for black screen/no signal

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fix for black screen/no signal: Easy Fix for Black Screen/No Signal after Dedicated GPU Driver Install, OS Windows 10 The problem at least in my case was the Windows 10 default settings for my monitor/TV were way too high; above 3000 X 3000 and a scaling setting of 300% thisdid work with the Basic Driver...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. input signal out of range change settings to 1600x900-60hz problem getting into safe mode Win10 www.windowsphoneinfo.com