Windows 10: Black screen on startup, explorer.exe doesn't start automatically

Discus and support Black screen on startup, explorer.exe doesn't start automatically in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I start windows I get a black screen with a command prompt. I have to use ctrl-alt-del and start explorer.exe as a new task. This is also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by advancedcaveman, May 19, 2018.

1. Black screen on startup, explorer.exe doesn't start automatically

When I start windows I get a black screen with a command prompt. I have to use ctrl-alt-del and start explorer.exe as a new task. This is also happening in safe mode. I have looked through multiple forums to find a solution: most of them recommend running sfc /scannow and this does not fix the problem for me. They also all suggest looking under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and making sure the shell value only reads "explorer.exe," This doesn't help me either as the value under shell is already explorer.exe.

:)

advancedcaveman, May 19, 2018
  2. Ben Stine Win User

Explorer.exe not working causes black screen

This started several days ago when my virus scanner(HitMan Pro) found a virus and when I did a reboot, my computer started to go in black screen with a cursor, for days I tried everything but resetting my PC the black screen is still there but yesterday
    when I was doing something in command prompt, it said explorer.exe isnt working then I go into the file browser in System Recovery Image then when I tried to open explorer.exe on that it says TWINAPI.dll and dcomp.dll are missing, I need to find a way to fix
    this problem please

Its a laptop, Windows 10 Home, Acer 5733Z-4851

Ben Stine, May 20, 2018
  3. How can you fix a black screen with a cursor on Windows 10 startup?

Hello, I have a HP Pavilion 15-g019wm Notebook and I'm experincing a black screen at startup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get this

HP

Perparing Automatic Repair

After the Auto Repair screen I get a screen with a cursor, The CMD opens for a second then I get the screen

L (The L is the cursor)

ShaneBrewer, May 20, 2018
Thema:

Black screen on startup, explorer.exe doesn't start automatically

1. Black screen on startup, explorer.exe doesn't start automatically - Similar Threads - Black screen startup

2. Black screen on startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen on startup: Whenever I login to my pc, things like discord and steam run on start, and then after about 30 seconds, the screen goes black, and the only way I can get it back to normal is by using the record video shortcut with the Radeon program that came with my GPU submitted by...
  3. Black screen on startup.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen on startup.: This isn't a major problem, but a minor nuisance. When I restart my laptop not including fast startups or waking from sleep mode there's a black screen that appears after the Windows logo. The only way to bypass it is by closing and reopening my laptop. I think on the black...
  4. Black Screen On Startup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Black Screen On Startup: When I turn on the computer it opens the forst boot-up screen/splash screen but then goes black. I can't see nor access anything. I've tried system restores and resets but still black....
  5. Explorer doesn't start automatically on boot anymore

Explorer doesn't start automatically on boot anymore: I installed something shady I guess, and I ended up with a bitcoin miner running in the background of my pc. I've removed it manually, but I must have missed something because when I reboot the system, it sits on a black screen with the command prompt open. I type...
  6. Black screen on startup

Black screen on startup: Idk how this happened, but my pc is fucked. Updated it last night. After the update, I didn't bother using it cuz I wanted to sleep. I used the 'update and shutdown' button from start. Then, this morning, my pc decided to remove the update and then after that I tried using...
  7. Black Screen on Startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black Screen on Startup: After updating one of my display drivers my screen went totally black. Ive restarted my computer many times and still get a black screen. It also seems that I am unable to boot up the safe mode menu through the key shortcuts....
  8. Black Screen at Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen at Startup: If I should start my own thread on this matter I shall but I am having serious issue for which no fix seems to work. Basically I have a friend's computer (running Win10 Home v1511) which has the black screen with cursor after login issue. I tried all the popular fixes for...
  9. File explorer automatically starts at startup. I do not want this.

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer automatically starts at startup. I do not want this.: I checked (task manager > Startup ) and file explorer is not there. I disabled everything in startup, just to make sure. How do I stop this from occurring. Thanx 55580
  10. black screen on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    black screen on startup: hi, i have acer aspire 5740 laplop, core i3, . A problem occured extending c windows drive as described below. it have 3 local drives c - 20gb boot primary drive d- 90 gb system , primary drive e - 50 gb logical some unallocated space, i was extending c ,by...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. explorer twinapi dll

2. Unable to launch explorer.exe - Getting black screen