Windows 10: Black Screen seconds after startup, computer still running

Discus and support Black Screen seconds after startup, computer still running in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been running my computer for years without problems. I recently bought a new graphics card and about a month after that the screen displays 'No... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sushee, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Sushee Win User

Black Screen seconds after startup, computer still running

I've been running my computer for years without problems. I recently bought a new graphics card and about a month after that the screen displays 'No Signal' About a second after displaying the HP logo. It still happens when trying to access the BIOS menu. As a solution to this I've tried replacing GPU, PSU, screen, hard drive and RAM but the error persists. I've also tried resetting the CMOS battery. Does anyone have a clue on how I can fix this? Do I need to buy a new CPU or motherboard?

:)

Sushee, Jul 7, 2016

2. Start up problems after installing Windows 10, HELP

I started the install process this morning and left the computer install 10. When I returned the computer was off. When I tried to restart it I could not get it to boot. When I turn it on I get a black screen, after a few seconds I get the "press ESC key
    to enter startup" screen for a second then back to black. After a few seconds I get a black screen with the blue 4 pane window logo in the middle, then back to black for several seconds then the "Hi there" screen but when I enter my password and click next
    I get a black screen for a few seconds then a "no signal" notice then the whole process repeats

TOMCOFFMAN9772, Jul 7, 2016
  3. Black screen when attempting to boot

After installing Windows 10 on my laptop (HP 15 TS Notebook), on initial startup of the device, everything seems to run as normal (power light is visible), but then the screen goes black a few seconds later before login (power light still visible). My solution
    to this is: press the power button (power light turns off), press the power button second time, and then the screen turns on showing the logging in screen (not a complete restart of the initial device screen).

Advice wanted to prevent the need of doing this.

Regards

Jawad

JawadUl-Zaman, Jul 7, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

It may be a GPU driver problem. Uninstall the graphics driver using the manufacturer's instructions to remove all previous drivers and try using the latest WHQL driver for your GPU. I would also use Autoruns to check for remnants of previous drivers - e.g. if you previously had a NVidia GPU and have moved to an AMD GPU (or vice versa) you may find left over remnants of the previous driver.

Steve C, Jul 8, 2016
  5. Sushee Win User
    How do you mean I would do this without access to a screen?

Sushee, Jul 8, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    Can you boot into safe mode and install drivers from safe mode?

Steve C, Jul 8, 2016
  7. Sushee Win User
    Unfortunately not, the screen turns black even if I enter the BIOS menu.

Sushee, Jul 8, 2016
  8. Steve C Win User

Maybe it's time to contact your motherboard manufacturer to find out how to enter the BIOS and reset the defaults. Does your motherboard have a built in Intel GPU? If so, you could remove/disable your add-on GPU and see if you an boot from the Intel GPU.

Steve C, Jul 8, 2016
  9. Sushee Win User
    It doesn't have a built-in one. I'll contact HP and see if they can help.

Sushee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Black Screen seconds after startup, computer still running - Similar Threads - Black Screen seconds

2. Screen goes black but still running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black but still running: So I made a mistake. I wanted to delete the key licenses to my Adobe account because my new apps kept signing in automatically to the old key license, which I have stopped paying the bills for. I mistakenly deleted the CLSID folder, instead of supposedly just certain files...
  3. Screen goes black but still running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen goes black but still running: So I made a mistake. I wanted to delete the key licenses to my Adobe account because my new apps kept signing in automatically to the old key license, which I have stopped paying the bills for. I mistakenly deleted the CLSID folder, instead of supposedly just certain files...
  4. Screen goes black but PC still running.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black but PC still running.: i have an issue, My Computer just random starts getting blackscreens but is still running, it happens in all cases. While i do nothing, While playing a Game, While watching youtube ect. No overheating problem and CPU or GPU are never close to 100%, same with RAM. Problem is...
  5. Black screen but still running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen but still running: Hi guys,I left my laptop on for a while as I had to do something and when I came back the power was on, the fan was running, and the keyboard backlight was on, but the screen was black. I tried moving the mouse and pressing keys but it didn't wake. I also tried Windows + Ctrl...
  6. Black screen but still running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen but still running: Hi guys,I left my laptop on for a while as I had to do something and when I came back the power was on, the fan was running, and the keyboard backlight was on, but the screen was black. I tried moving the mouse and pressing keys but it didn't wake. I also tried Windows + Ctrl...
  7. Computer screen goes black with sound still going, reactivates after a second and apps stop...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer screen goes black with sound still going, reactivates after a second and apps stop...: So I have been having trouble with some apps like Zoom when shared screen is activated or Toon Boom Harmony, my screen randomly stops, then goes black for a second or two with a loading cursor and sound still on, then it comes back and sometimes the apps stop responding and I...
  8. Black screen after startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after startup: Black screen before windows start up Hey, I have a Lenovo idea pad I got given as a hand me down from my sister. Was not in great shape when I received it but I reset it to factory setting and has been working fine for about 2 months since. A couple of weeks ago I started...
  9. black screen after startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    black screen after startup: After startup my monitor is black. If I hold down Win+Ctrl+Shift and hit B, there is a beep and the monitor is normal. I've tried all kinds of suggestions with no success. It started after a Win 10 Pro Version 2004 update. I have na HP EliteDesk 705 G3 Desktop Mini which...
  10. computer screen goes black but computer still running windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    computer screen goes black but computer still running windows 10: I am using HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC, with windows 10 single language 64 bit Operating System, with 8 GB RAM. I am facing TWO major issues: After leaving the system idle for more then an hour, the computer screen goes black but computer still running windows 10, and it...