Windows 10: Black screen when running Memtest86+

Discus and support Black screen when running Memtest86+ in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I just recently started having errors with my custom built PC from ~2013, I used to be running windows 7 on it, and I noticed these errors a week or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Var18, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Var18 Win User

Black screen when running Memtest86+

I just recently started having errors with my custom built PC from ~2013, I used to be running windows 7 on it, and I noticed these errors a week or two ago when I started playing a video game (rocket league) after a long break. It was working totally fine for a while, and then suddenly started giving BSODs when using a 360 controller on rocket league (but oddly not the mouse) -- the controller worked before, though I just started using a new usb wifi device. That thread is HERE, for those curious.

I figured I was overdue to update to Windows 10, and I have, and I'm a big fan. I reinstalled from scratch from a USB device, and then started getting all the updates and so on. However, after downloading steam and rocket league (before installing the windows updates, if that mattered), before I ever plugged in the controller or installed its drivers I got a BSOD. It's been giving me BSODs randomly ever since - though I can guarantee one by playing rocket league - even after updating everything in windows. Furthermore, sometimes after a BSOD the computer won't start up properly.. it will begin to start up, but the display will never get to the ASUS splash screen. I can remedy this by (rapidly) plugging in a USB device during the boot, and sometimes that gets it to a 'stable' state, during which if I don't play rocket league I probably won't get any BSODs. One extra bit of info: I didn't yet activate windows 10 with my windows 7 CD key, not that I suspect it matters.

Anyway, I wanted to make a thread about this (which I'm doing now), so I started to run Memtest86+ as per THESE instructions. After it got to about 6%, my monitor said "no display" and suddenly went black! No BSOD, but the display is still black. This is all very confusing, but I'm suspecting it's a hardware issue.

Let me know what I should do to help diagnose the problem. Thank you in advanced - it's nice to have a helpful community like this.

EDIT: Attached my dump after the Memtest crash. Between then and now I had a little trouble getting the PC to load up windows, had to force restart a bunch.Attachment 60548

Also, looks like others have had this issue too, and there is a "fix": Memtest86 Free instead of Memtest86+ - Windows 10 Forums . However, I've been messing around with my computer too much and these random shutdowns are worrying, so I will wait for further instruction before doing anything.

:)

Var18, Jan 24, 2016

2. PC crashing

Hi Thanks for your reply. Black screen and buzzing noise? I like Who Crashed. Good choice. Good program and it's free. I've never used Prime95. Are you over clocking? Memory diagnostics is OK.

I would try Memtest86! It's a better test. Let me know how things go!

How to Test PC RAM with MemTest86

garybear89, Jan 24, 2016
  3. Memtest86 results

Sound strange,

- It seems that your CPU has some error

- You may also need to check the system motherboard as well.

Error:

- 32 errors found

- As you have 4Core only 1Core is Active

Suggestion:

- Before it gets too mess, Please shut down your system & contact OEM or wherever you have purchase your system

Roharashraj™, Jan 24, 2016
  4. lifetec Win User

All your dumpfiles are:
    Code: ******************************************************************************* * * * Bugcheck Analysis * * * ******************************************************************************* Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information. BugCheck 116, {ffffe001f5a76010, fffff80162d0ce98, 0, d} Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmpag.sys, Win32 error 0n2 *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmpag.sys Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+ce98 )[/quote] This is the driver of your AMD GPU.. The driver might be corrupted uninstall with DDU download ddu and reinstall the latest version.

The bugcheck 0x016 is a TDR
    How does TDR work?
    Timeout Detection and Recovery

Windows Vista and later operating systems attempt to detect situations in whichcomputers appear to be completely "frozen". They then attempt todynamically recover from the frozen situations so that their desktops areresponsive again. This process of detection and recovery is known as timeoutdetection and recovery (TDR). In the TDR process, the operating system's GPUscheduler calls the display miniport driver's DxgkDdiResetFromTimeout function to reinitialize the driver and reset theGPU. Therefore, end users are not required to reboot the operating system,which greatly enhances their experience. The only visible artifact from thehang detection to the recovery is a screen flicker.

Common issues that can cause a TDR:

• Incorrect memory timings or voltages
    • Insufficient/problematic PSU
    • Corrupt driver install
    • Overheating
    • Unstable overclocks (GPU or CPU)
    • Incorrect MB voltages (generally NB/SB)
    • Faulty graphics card
    • A badly written driver or piece of software, but this is an unlikely cause in most cases
    • Driver conflicts
    • Another possibility that people tend not to like to hear, is that you are simply asking too much of your graphics card. What I mean by this, is that if you have your settings too high and the graphics card struggles and falls to very low FPS, then something graphically complex occurs, the GPU may not be able to respond and a TDR error may occur

Examples of specific TDR causes:

ConflictwithRealtekdriverscausingTDR errors

• Driver conflict with Logitech webcam drivers
    • Unstable overclock on the graphics card
    • Insufficient PSU
    • RAMproblems (faulty, badly seated or not configured correctly)
    • Cleaning out dust resolved issue
    • AMD/ATI cards also have TDR problems

[/QUOTE]

lifetec, Jan 25, 2016
  5. Var18 Win User
    Here's the page corresponding to my AMD GPU .. but I'm not sure which thing is the actual driver. In the past I have downloaded the massive 307MB one and installed that (in fact, it is currently installed). Also, I suspect you are right about the GPU, because I disabled the GPU in Device Manager and no crashes yet.

Desktop

EDIT: nevermind, just got a black screen doing nothing in particular.

Var18, Jan 25, 2016
  6. Var18 Win User
    I have downloaded the large driver I linked to above, and (with the wifi USB and controller both unplugged). Uninstalled the GPU drivers as instructed. Started to reinstall the new ones, but it gave me a black screen halfway though -- even before the new drivers were installed. After a couple restarts I got the install to work fully, restarted the computer, and ... nothing appears to be different.

I don't suspect that it's overheating because I experience these problems even after a long night of having the computer turned off. I'm using the GPU as stock, i.e. no overclocking or any other custom stuff. Also I'm getting these black screens outside of rocket league, though more frequently in it.

So, sounds like a hardware problem. It would be nice to fully identify if it is the GPU (or not) before I invest in a new one (if that is necessary). It might not be the GPU because as I mentioned above, I had previously disabled the GPU and still gotten a black screen (I think, not 100% sure).

Var18, Jan 25, 2016
  7. lifetec Win User
    lifetec, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Black screen when running Memtest86+ - Similar Threads - Black screen running

2. Memtest86 error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Memtest86 error: ive had bsod since i got my pc and i have tried everything i thought it was a HID or gpu or cpu. but today i tried running memtest86 and it said failed too many errors can someone help me. i have two 16gb sticks of kingston fury ramScreenshots of the...
  3. Black screen but still running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen but still running: Hi guys,I left my laptop on for a while as I had to do something and when I came back the power was on, the fan was running, and the keyboard backlight was on, but the screen was black. I tried moving the mouse and pressing keys but it didn't wake. I also tried Windows + Ctrl...
  4. Black screen but still running

Black screen but still running: Hi guys,I left my laptop on for a while as I had to do something and when I came back the power was on, the fan was running, and the keyboard backlight was on, but the screen was black. I tried moving the mouse and pressing keys but it didn't wake. I also tried Windows + Ctrl...
  5. Black screen when running games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen when running games: Hi,My pc used to be okay until one day the screen goes black when a game is running. I can still hear the game sound but the screen is black or mono color. From then it either stays like that or the game is automatically turned off and the screen comes back up again. I can...
  6. Black screen when running games

Black screen when running games: Hi,My pc used to be okay until one day the screen goes black when a game is running. I can still hear the game sound but the screen is black or mono color. From then it either stays like that or the game is automatically turned off and the screen comes back up again. I can...
  7. Memtest86

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Memtest86: Hello! Someone just advised me to do a memtest, I got the result but I don't know what it means. I was experiencing BSODs such as systemserviceexception, fpnlistcorrupt, pagefaultinnonpagedarea. Thanks...
  8. Memtest86

Memtest86: I downloaded Memtest86 and extracted the zip file. There is an .img inside the extraction. I believe I can change the .img file to .iso file then extract that to reveal the .exe file. Is that how it works? 138924
  9. Memtest86

in Windows 10 Support
    Memtest86: I downloaded Memtest86 and extracted the zip file. There is an .img inside the extraction. I believe I can change the .img file to .iso file then extract that to reveal the .exe file. Is that how it works? 138924
  10. Memtest86 Free instead of Memtest86+

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Memtest86 Free instead of Memtest86+: Just a suggestion for users here who need to perform RAM tests to rule out hardware issues: Memtest86+ 5.01 has a bug with CPU multicore support (Parallel), as it hangs after some time testing and the only safe way to perform the tests is in single core mode, which is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. memtest86 black screen

2. System crashed when running memtest86

3. memtest 86 windows 10 black screen