Windows 10: black screen with a white cursor after i updated windows. driver issue

Discus and support black screen with a white cursor after i updated windows. driver issue in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; this is an incredibly frustrating experience because im going thru chemo right now so im not "all there" and ive spent the last two days sifting thru... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by alexb24, Jan 16, 2017.

1. alexb24 Win User

black screen with a white cursor after i updated windows. driver issue

this is an incredibly frustrating experience because im going thru chemo right now so im not "all there" and ive spent the last two days sifting thru garbage solutions.

amd athlon x4 635 processor. 4gb ram. 64bit windows 10. radeon hd4250

windows apparently updated, and when it restarted it all seemed normal, saw the log in screen and everything. then it cuts out. turns black. i move the cursor, i have a cursor. i can ctrl+alt+dlt and then i can see the windows log in screen and i can manage to boot into safe mode via shut down options in the lower right corner. my computer works fine in safe mode. this is why im suspecting a driver issue, which, according to AMD's website, they basically said "LOL yeah, that 4x series isnt supported anymore. you should upgrade"

ive tried manually updating the drivers. i tried the most recent build. i tried a build right before it. i installed DDU i think its called and wiped the drivers manually and then tried to re-install, nothing changes anything. a friend sent me this link: Windows 10 ATI Radeon HD 4250 graphics? and told me to go down to the bottom and try that persons fix. this made a glimmer of hope..when i relaunched windows after following his steps, the resolution was correct (no longer big and wonkie like i was in safe mode even though i hadnt entered safe mode from the log in screen yet) but it was still a black screen.

this is ridiclously frustrating because i barely use my PC. but when i do use it, i need to use it. now im debating on buying the radeon hd5xxx series just so i could have a stupid fricken compatible card on my PC, but i dont know if itll work correctly in my PC. the other alternative is to go on craigslist and buy a cheap PC, but again.. i dont use my PC much. this is insane.

:)

alexb24, Jan 16, 2017

2. After Win 10 upgrade screen is black with only cursor

I currently have 2 lapt with the same issue - updated to Windows 10 and reboots to black screen with white cursor.

Need guidance please.

EdricBrown, Jan 16, 2017
  3. Janu5z Win User
    1709 update

After 1709 update, after login to my PC I have only black screen with a white cursor. Updating all drivers or disconnecting none essential components doesn't help. I believe I tried everything. Installed and went back to previous version at list 30 times.
    Now I need help.

Janu5z, Jan 16, 2017
  4. black screen with a white cursor after i updated windows. driver issue

Welcome to the TenForums @alexb24

Sorry to hear about medical issues, all the best.

You may have already tried these solutions, hope I don't add to frustration. Note the last line on AMD HD products.

This seems to have happen rather recently. When you say Windows Upgrade do you mean that you went from V1511 to V1607 or were you on V1607 and it just recently installed the cumulative patch released last week, along with other things?

I ask as I'm thinking two approaches. If you just went through a major update from 1511 to 1607 then if you click on Settings, Updates and Security, Recovery there should be an option to "Go back to an earlier build" (Deal with going forward later.)

If that doesn't work and it was an update that caused the issue you could try System Restore, Windows+R keys, sysdm.cpl, System Protection tab, System restore. I would pick a restore point before the release January 10, 2017.

If you do a System Restore I would do it disconnected from internet. I would then tell windows to stop updating drivers. I would also tell Windows to stop driver updates if you go back to 1511.

To disable driver updates, Control Panel, System and Security, System, on left Advance System Settings, Hardware Tab, Device Installation settings, click No. This may cause a menu to open. Pick I’ll decide

One way or another, assuming one works, note the driver version for AMD card as you may need it. All AMD HDxxx products are on legacy support (Going End Of Life).

Caledon Ken, Jan 17, 2017
  5. alexb24 Win User
    thanks a lot! and nope, i wont be frustrated to go thru possible solutions. the frustration was just stimming thru tons of links that appear to be related, but truly arent.

im not sure what windows actually updated to be frank, but upon further investigating i went into control panel > programs and features > installed updates and it has two entries for 1/10/17. a security update for adobe flash player, and a security update for windows (KB3213986). going into my settings to learn what build number i am on to help pinpoint, i have discovered i am on build 1607. OS build 14393.693. i unfortunately do not know my build number i had previous to 1607 to help confirm anything.

it appears i have system recovery turned off...unknowingly. when i try to turn it on, it says it "system protection is available only in online operating system" whatever that means; but im assuming it doesnt matter since recovery has been turned off regardless.

as far as your other solutions (windows+r, sysdm.cpl, system protection tab) those are unfamiliar to me.----wait. are those steps to manually system restore? i guess that still wouldnt apply to me if system restore has been disabled, correct?

alexb24, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

black screen with a white cursor after i updated windows. driver issue

1. black screen with a white cursor after i updated windows. driver issue - Similar Threads - black screen white

2. Windows 7 black screen with moving white cursor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 black screen with moving white cursor: My computer turns on normally but after welcome screen shows black screen. It normally does hotkeys like ctrl+alt+delete, it means i can turn on task manager. In the task manager i cant start new tasks such as msconfig, dwm dwm.exe. My computer also turns on safe mode with...
  3. Windows turned to black screen with cursor after graphic driver update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows turned to black screen with cursor after graphic driver update: Currently posting from a phone. Even when I do ctrl shift win b, nothing happens. I downloaded the graphic card driver update directly from GeForce Experience,and this never happened before. Can anyone please help me solve it?...
  4. Windows turned to black screen with cursor after graphic driver update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows turned to black screen with cursor after graphic driver update: Currently posting from a phone. Even when I do ctrl shift win b, nothing happens. I downloaded the graphic card driver update directly from GeForce Experience,and this never happened before. Can anyone please help me solve it?...
  5. Black screen white cursor repair??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen white cursor repair??: Earlier today I ran into an error, I suspect from a late night update the day before. It indicated a need for an error and a need for a system repair.I could get to the desktop less and less. Someone suggested I run a system repair which allowed longer but still limited...
  6. Black screen white cursor repair??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen white cursor repair??: Earlier today I ran into an error, I suspect from a late night update the day before. It indicated a need for an error and a need for a system repair.I could get to the desktop less and less. Someone suggested I run a system repair which allowed longer but still limited...
  7. Black Screen with Cursor after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen with Cursor after update: Hi I'm now getting a black screen with the cursor displayed after updating Windows 10. I cannot access the task manager or boot in safe mode. Which is all the suggested fixes I can find. How can I fix this?...
  8. Black screen with cursor issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen with cursor issue: Hello all, today I was trying to boot up my computer to do some work only to find it stop at a black screen before the log in. The cursor is there and you can move it around. I have went through a lot of different methods of fixing this and nothing seems to work. Booting up...
  9. Black screen (with cursor) after Windows updates

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Black screen (with cursor) after Windows updates: Hello all, Today during my browsing with Chrome all of the sudden all of my 3 monitors just turned pitch black with only a cursor . At first I thought it might be a problem with the Graphics card since this is mainly my video editing PC that encodes a lot of video with...
  10. Windows 10 Booting to a black screen & white cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Booting to a black screen & white cursor: Hi, my PC has been acting up for about a week now. I have 2 Samsung 24inch Monitors and a decent gaming PC. I have tried all the options this forums has brought to me such as control alt delete and recovery mode, nothing has worked so far. i have just upgraded from 7-10...