Windows 10: Black Screen with Creators Update Installed and a Reboot

Discus and support Black Screen with Creators Update Installed and a Reboot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Installed the Windows 10 Creators update for the 3rd time to completion each time. After the install, everything was running as expected. I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cyclone3211, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Black Screen with Creators Update Installed and a Reboot

Installed the Windows 10 Creators update for the 3rd time to completion each time. After the install, everything was running as expected.

I was looking at a digital magazine within Zinio, and after completing several issues the program lockup and I needed to reboot. Zinio is not part of my startup programs.

During the startup the Black Screen appeared to go nowhere and I heard the familiar Win 10 startup sound but the screen was Black with the cursor spinning yet going nowhere and not stopping.

Finally opened into Safe Mode but could not find any issues. Used my Win10 startup disk to find the trouble but the repair mode didn’t find any issues.

I am now without a functional desktop computer again. Each time prior, I installed a backup but continue to be in this circle of events. My laptop has all of the most recent programs that were also installed in the desktop installed.

I have a backup of the hard drive with the Creators update, ver. 1703 and a few days older backup without it which has been used to get me operating the desktop again for the last two times.
    I found on the web a fix for the Black Screen by starting in Safe Mode, but none of the five suggested solutions worked.

My current desktop is a year old and Win 10 Pro 64 bit came with it installed.

I need your help, please.

:)

cyclone3211, Sep 3, 2017

2. Creator's update dies during install

Hi Allan,

I unplugged all hardware and it failed with black screen again. Then I followed the guide. The update repair util found some problems and fixed them, but it still failed with a black screen again.

On a whim, during the black screen I plugged in my external monitor and that brought it back. I'm not certain the install would not have continued with the black screen. I had let it sit on the black screen previously but it had never completed before.

On the third reboot I removed the external monitor and it hung on the logo screen (or appeared to hang) so I plugged the monitor back in and it continued. Again, I don't know if cause / effect rules apply here.

At any rate. Creators update is installed.

Brian McKee, Sep 3, 2017
  3. DeadTaco Win User
    Windows 10 Creator update bricked my PC

For those having a black screen on boot problem with the Windows 10 creator's update and with an NVidia graphics card, this could be the problem.

The latest NVidia drivers (382.33 as of this writing) and the Windows 10 Creator's update have a direct conflict and may make your system inoperable. About the only thing you can do at this time is roll back the creator's update so it is no longer installed.

A quick Google search will explain how to uninstall the Creator's update. Unfortunately, to uninstall it, you will need to get into safe mode or install a different video card.

See:
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1003254/geforce-drivers/381-65-in-creators-update-black-screen-tested-up-to-382-33-/

DeadTaco, Sep 3, 2017
  4. Black Screen with Creators Update Installed and a Reboot

I thought that I would try the Creator install to adjust for any current programs, but to my surprise they were mostly shown to dated 9/3/17 which is the date of the update to the Creators update. So i wanted to go back to the last backup prior, but ran into the 0xc000225 which push me over the hill.

Finally downloaded the current Win pese for 64 bit but couldn't find that computer name zip file. So I used the Acronis file to restore my prior backup and it worked,

So here I am without the Creator Update and need help in going forward, Please

cyclone3211, Sep 4, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    What does holding down the Windows key and pressing R then typing winver show? Post all the data on the line under Microsoft Windows.

Berton, Sep 4, 2017
  6. Black Screen with Creators Update Installed and a Reboot [​IMG]

Thanks for the reply and I am back to before the Creators Update.

Anything else I can provide. I tried to reinstall the Creators Update from my backup and ended with the 0xc0000225 which was a mess but finally got back to my prior backup. Just got the notice to do that update again.

cyclone3211, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Black Screen with Creators Update Installed and a Reboot

1. Black Screen with Creators Update Installed and a Reboot - Similar Threads - Black Screen Creators

2. Microsoft Updates - Black screen after reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Updates - Black screen after reboot: Hello,When Microsoft updates are applied to some of my worksations Win 10 / Win 11 upon rebootthe monitor does not show any progression for the updates.It stays black as if the machine is powered off.A lot of my users are very impatient and want to start unplugging power and...
  3. Microsoft Updates - Black screen after reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Updates - Black screen after reboot: Hello,When Microsoft updates are applied to some of my worksations Win 10 / Win 11 upon rebootthe monitor does not show any progression for the updates.It stays black as if the machine is powered off.A lot of my users are very impatient and want to start unplugging power and...
  4. Black screen on reboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen on reboot: I worked normally on my PC this morning, then turned it off during the 1 hour train ride to work, where I tried to turn it on again. The Only responde I got was a Black screen requesting a password. I have tried every option I can think of, to no result. Can anyone help?...
  5. 2018 Creator's Update-Insurmountable Black Screen Of Death

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    2018 Creator's Update-Insurmountable Black Screen Of Death: I bought a new Dell XPS 15 9560 last year but just took it out of the box two days ago to use. It came with Windows 10 Pro x64 and a Buffalo Blu-ray Burner since the laptop has no internal optical drive. I was assured by Dell that this Buffalo Blu-ray burner would also play...
  6. Blue screen after installing Creators Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen after installing Creators Update: I've been running Windows 10 Education on my Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe based system for 2ys now and as far as I remember haven't had a blue screen So I rebuilt my machine today with Windows 10 Enterprise Build 15063.138 and now when I try to play MP4 or MKV files I get a...
  7. Every Profile Hangs At Black Screen After Creator's Update

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Every Profile Hangs At Black Screen After Creator's Update: Hey guys I just got done installing the Creator's Update and whenever I log in to any profile it just hangs at a black screen with a dialog saying "Preparing to delete from Programs" along with "Discovered 0 items (0 bytes...). It's done it on both local and active directory...
  8. creator update installed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    creator update installed: Minor problems, (or annoyances), after installing. 1 problem remains, I play dominoes on playdrift, after update of creator now all the dominoes flash when they move, very annoying, game plays correctly. Did update change something causing this, did edge change something....
  9. Installation black screen on reboot, no cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation black screen on reboot, no cursor: Upgrading from windows 7 to 10, started install at around 10:30am and left it....around 2:30pm it started the large circle with the % in the centre, and again left it for another hour or so and came back to a black screen, no cursor or anything. I waited until about 7:30...
  10. Black screen with spinning dots after upgrade to Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen with spinning dots after upgrade to Creators Update: I just upgraded my desktop and laptop to the Windows 10 Creators Update. Everything went well and worked properly, until I installed a cumulative update and tried to reboot... Now all I get is a black screen and the spinning dots (like it's booting up), I can see the mouse...