Windows 10: Black screen with cursor after upgrade from 7 ultimate to 10

Discus and support Black screen with cursor after upgrade from 7 ultimate to 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I upgraded from windows 7 ultimate to windows 10. It seemed to install okay and asked me to log on and select setup preferences, which I did. I left it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Augi1, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Augi1 Win User

Black screen with cursor after upgrade from 7 ultimate to 10

I upgraded from windows 7 ultimate to windows 10. It seemed to install okay and asked me to log on and select setup preferences, which I did. I left it alone to finish setup and it went to sleep. Now I only get a black screen with an active cursor. I've tried multiple hard restarts, entering logon blindly as suggested in other posts and using windows key-p to switch monitors all to no affect. Ctrl-alt-del has no effect. I cannot bring up any screen and so cannot start in safe mode or download video card drivers. I do not have Windows 10 on media. Any ideas?

:)

Augi1, Aug 23, 2015

2. Black screen - upgrading from win 7 ultimate to win 10

Upgrading from windows 7 ultimate to windows 10, got to approx 25% on upgrade screen when screen went black and will now not respond?? Have tried powering PC off and rebooting but it just goes straight back into the black screen ???

GrantSmith1906, Aug 23, 2015
  3. Windo.ws 10 downloaded and installed and upon restart boot stopped at black screen and blinking cursor

Any resource for how to get from black screen and blinking cursor after Windows 10 upgrade download and install? Upon boot up screen is now black with the blinking cursor top left

KinteClark, Aug 23, 2015
  4. Augi1 Win User

Oddly enough this got fixed, but I don't really know how. Microsoft was no help. Told me to reinstall W7 and update drivers for video card. Ugh. I didn't have the W7 disk so I called Dell, the OEM. Dell had me do a system hardware scan. Fat chance I thought as multiple attempts at hard reboot while pressing multiple function keys and holding other keys down had no affect. But, they had me hold the power button down for 90 seconds, then restart while pressing F12 as many times as I could. I got a test screen and was able to run the hardware scan. No problems were found and none were fixed, but after that the computer started booting up in W10. I was able to get a desk top. It required a couple of long boots and a couple of restarts (automatic), but it is now up and running. The only thing I can guess at is the scan must have interrupted a loop the the computer couldn't get out of.

Augi1, Aug 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Black screen with cursor after upgrade from 7 ultimate to 10 - Similar Threads - Black screen cursor

2. Black screen with cursor Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen with cursor Windows 7: Last week, I got a BSoD on my PC and after it restarted a black screen with nothing but a cursor showed up. So I decided to restart my computer assuming that it'll fix it but it didn't, instead it said it failed to started so I decided to attempt a Startup Repair as I've had...
  3. Black screen with cursor Windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen with cursor Windows 7: Last week, I got a BSoD on my PC and after it restarted a black screen with nothing but a cursor showed up. So I decided to restart my computer assuming that it'll fix it but it didn't, instead it said it failed to started so I decided to attempt a Startup Repair as I've had...
  4. Upgrade from Window 7 Ultimate to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Window 7 Ultimate to Windows 10: Hi, This is Rolf Schreiner at *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, on December 14, 2020. I have a problem installing Wildows 10 on Windows 7 Ultimate. I worked about one week it, but now I need some help, please. I tried all the published fixes on the internet,...
  5. Help, first I have black screen of death with cursor after upgrading to windows 10 from 7,...

Help, first I have black screen of death with cursor after upgrading to windows 10 from 7,...: As you can see I have the above going on. Now I have googled and googled and read lots of stuff. I have created a USB drive. I should say this is my lap top which is a asus k450c series and is about 5 years old. I created the usb on my new lenovo computer. First of when I try...
  6. Win10 upgrade from 7... black screen after login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 upgrade from 7... black screen after login: I upgraded my desktop computer from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 and everything seemed to be working. I was able to work on the computer without problem for the rest of the day (hours). But the next day when I restarted the computer I got a black screen with flashing...
  7. want to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 ultimate

want to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 ultimate: Good evening team microsoft before asking an question let me show my pc specs.just posted an screenshot of my computer properties please see that and tell me should I upgrade my pc win7 to win10 and my GPU is nvidia GT 710 and cpu gen it says 5series/3400 series chipset...
  8. upgrade from windows 7 ultimate

upgrade from windows 7 ultimate: I upgraded my laptop with 8.1 to 10 and I ended up with all programs recognized and working. Hard to believe. All I did after the upgrade is download and install English (US) package to change interface language. Will it be the same when upgrading from windows 7 ultimate?...
  9. Upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate Unvalidated to 10

Upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate Unvalidated to 10: Sorry for the question if is quite simple but I am unsure. Currently I am running Windows 7 Ultimate yet my copy can't be validated as I have no key. If I was to purchase a copy of Windows 10 would I be able to keep my files during the upgrade or would a fresh install be...
  10. Black screen without cursor after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen without cursor after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro: After upgrading my Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro I have also been plagued with the black screen of death. After the BIOS screen it goes black and I do not even get a mouse cursor and I've also let it run for about 30 minutes just in case and nothing. I've tried a lot of the...