Windows 10: black screen with cursor after windows update , cant start in safemode

Discus and support black screen with cursor after windows update , cant start in safemode in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi , this is my sisters all in one ,. a HP PAV TS22 Dahlia EMEA BTO L6.5 , she said windows did an update ,(she said she had auto updates off .. )... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by moss99, Jan 25, 2018.

1. moss99 Win User

black screen with cursor after windows update , cant start in safemode

Hi , this is my sisters all in one ,. a HP PAV TS22 Dahlia EMEA BTO L6.5

, she said windows did an update ,(she said she had auto updates off .. ) and now i just get a black screen with cursor and an automatic repair loop it seems .
    I cannot get it to start in safe mode ,
    on the automatic repair screen i get message :

log file :G\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

I have done chk dsk and get :
    failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50

the system diagnostics all check out ok ..
    I seem to be going around in circles here , any help appreciated .
    Mark..

:)

moss99, Jan 25, 2018

2. WINDOWS 10 DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (storachi.sys)

I can't even boot in safemode. Even when I try with boot usbdrive. Its just black screen that says safemode in corners. And the windows setup window to start installation.

ChrisS_1971, Jan 25, 2018
  3. Microsoft Windows 10 Update for AMD Radeon HD 6620G does NOT WORK!!

Has anyone found a solution for this display driver? My problem is a black screen for around 45 seconds with no cursor, nothing. It only started after a windows 10 update, an update after windows 10 was installed.

ListOrSwap.com, Jan 25, 2018
  4. zbook New Member

Please update the system specs in the "My Computer" section:

System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Site Use Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Include PSU. cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless (mouse, keyboard, headset, printer, xbox, etc.)

a) Are the files backed up?
    b) Had you made a backup image?
    c) If you needed to perform a clean install is that an option?
    d) which version of the HP UEFI diagnostics was run? Was it only memory and RAM? or was it a loop until failure test?
    HP PC Hardware Diagnostics | HP® Official Site

Please review this information so that images are posted into the thread:
    Take Screenshot in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
    If there is any problems posting images please use one drive or drop box share links:
    Share OneDrive files and folders - Office Support

1) Find a flash drive that you can format ( > or = 8 GB)
    2) Create a bootable windows 10 iso:
    Download Windows 10
    Download Windows 10
    4) Insert the flash drive into any USB port
    5) Find the applicable keyboard key to boot to a device:
    List of PC brands with their corresponding hot-keys
    6) select external USB hard drive
    7) If it is a custom computer open the BIOS and temporarily change boot order so that you can boot using the flash drive.
    8) When the iso loads choose language, time, currency, and keyboard, or click next
    9) Do not click on install
    10) In the left lower corner click "repair your computer"
    11) Click troubleshoot
    12) attempt system restore: start with the oldest restore point and repeat as necessary to the most recent restore point. If this fails or if there are no restore points advance to the next step.
    13) attempt startup repair. If this fails advance to the next step.

14) Click command prompt
    This should open: Administrator: X:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>

For all of the steps please use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures and post images into the thread.

15) type: dir
    16) type: c:
    17) type: dir
    18) type: d:
    19) type: dir
    20) type: bcdedit /enum all
    21) type: bcdedit | find "osdevice"
    22) This may display osdevice partition=C:
    23) type: diskpart
    24) type: list disk
    225) type: list volume
    23) type: select disk 0
    24) type: list partition
    25) type: exit
    26) for list volume results look under the column heading Fs for any volume that displayed RAW instead of NTFS
    27) type: chkdsk /f /r G: (change G to the drive letter of the volume displaying RAW)
    It may display "The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt."
    This may then convert the RAW volume to NTFS.
    28) Type: exit
    29) reboot to open the Windows advanced troubleshooting menu > command prompt > Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>
    30) type: bootrec /rebuildbcd
    It may display:
    Scanning all disks for Windows installations.
    Please wait, since this may take a while...
    Successfully scanned Windows installations.
    Total identified Windows installations: 1
    [1] D:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? Yes(Y)/No(N)/ALL(A):
    31) Type: A
    The operation completed successfully.
    X:\Windows>
    32) Type: exit
    33) reboot

If the above steps did not fix the problem advance to the next steps:

34) Open command prompt > Administrator: X:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>
    35) From steps 20 and 21 results displaying the partition if the drive letter is different than C: please use the displayed drive letter for the next step
    36) type: DISM /image:G:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions (change G to the applicable drive letter) ( There is a space between \ / )
    37) This should remove the latest update and fix the problem.
    38) If this does not fix the problem plan a registry repair.

If you are successful of restoring Windows please perform the following steps:
    1) Make a brand new restore point
    2) Back up all files to another drive or to the cloud
    3) Make a backup image using Macrium:
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
    4) Place the backup image onto another drive or into the cloud

zbook, Jan 26, 2018
  5. moss99 Win User
    Hi , thanks for the reply ok i have updated system specs . no files backed up , no disc image *Banghead ( this is my sisters pc)
    she said as a last resort reinstall , but there are baby photos on there ,
    the diagnostic version is 5.8.3.0 log says
    start time type result failure id page 1/1 description
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2018-01-25 19 :11 :42 system Q passed NA NA

i already made a bootable 10 usb stick i press f9 to boot menu , . no restore points available .

ok, i have worked my way through these steps , i cant seem to post photos so i will add a link to my drop box file .
    on step 30 it came up with total identified windows installations 0
    on step 36 i got error 50 DISM does not support servicing a windows vista RTM or earlier os ? .,, see photo

Dropbox - HP

moss99, Jan 26, 2018
  6. zbook New Member
    This should be able to allow boot recovery.
    Then you can check the drive with HD Sentiniel and recover files

Run HD Sentinel: (free or trial edition)
    Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring
    Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring
    a) click disk > surface test > post image into the thread
    (this may take several hours to complete)
    b) Post images of each of these tabs into the thread:
    Overview tab
    Temperature
    SMART
    Disk performance

zbook, Jan 26, 2018
  7. moss99 Win User
    I created a boot disc /usb with the hard disk sentinel , but when i press f9 its not showing in the boot devices , i only have , windows boot manager, , UEFI IPv4 realtek PCIe GBE family controller ,, UEFI IPv6 realtek PCIe GBE family controller , and legacy boot sources .

moss99, Jan 26, 2018
  8. moss99 Win User

ok , tried again changing boot order in bios , but it goes straight into windows automatic repair , i created the hdd sentinal boot usb again , (takes ages to format) still the same loads the windows auto repair .

moss99, Jan 27, 2018
  9. zbook New Member
    See if any of these help:

Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials: Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Disable fast boot or ultra fast boot:
    How to Enable Fast Boot or Ultra Fast Boot in UEFI Firmware Settings for Windows: Enable or Disable Fast Boot in UEFI Firmware Settings for Windows Performance Maintenance Tutorials

1. Try another USB stick
    2. Try all USB ports (2.0 and 3.0)
    3. Maybe when using UEFI Bios you have to temporarily switch to Legacy in BIOS settings
    4. Turn off temporarily fast boot, secure boot, CSM if enabled

Check the drive with any: HD Sentinel, HD Tune, Crystal Disk, Macrorit, Sea Tools, etc.
    HD Tune website
    Portable CrystalDiskInfo Download
    Macrorit Disk Scanner Portable Download
    Download Center - Crystal Dew World
    CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World
    Download Center - Crystal Dew World
    Software - Crystal Dew World
    Boot SeaTools off of a USB Drive | nowhereLAN
    https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Once the files are backed up you have many more options and can clean install:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

zbook, Jan 27, 2018
  10. moss99 Win User
    ok , i got it to work , it seemed to complete very quickly . https://www.dropbox.com/s/yyvr2xpk2q...%20pm.jpg?dl=0

i was speaking to my sister over the weekend she said it has done this before after an update , which is why she switched updates off . she was able to start it in safe mode to recover that time . .

moss99, Jan 28, 2018
  11. zbook New Member
    What were the steps that you made to get the boot rescue to work?

"There are 40 bad sectors on the disk surface.The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
    The drive found 8 bad sectors during its self test.
    Based on the number of remapping operations, the health of the disk was
    decreased in different steps.
    At this point, warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible, only
    inf the health drops further.
    The Windows version of Hard Disk Sentinel can be used to diagnose
    problems by the Disk menu > Short/Extended/Surface tests."

See if you can run Sea Tools.
    Chkdsk /x /f /r

zbook, Jan 28, 2018
  12. moss99 Win User
    i disabled fast boot , disable secure boot , and enabled legacy support , then the usb drive showed up in the boot list

moss99, Jan 28, 2018
  13. moss99 Win User

ok ive loaded sea tools but its saying " no hard drives found" ??

moss99, Jan 28, 2018
  14. zbook New Member
    Did you use sea tools for dos or sea tools for windows?
    If one does not work see if the other can be used.

Then move onto to chkdsk /x /f /r which may take many hours.
    Normally the report is in the event viewer.
    Please use a camera or smart phone camera to report the results into the thread.

zbook, Jan 28, 2018
  15. moss99 Win User
    i used the sea tools for dos

moss99, Jan 28, 2018
Thema:

1. black screen with cursor after windows update , cant start in safemode - Similar Threads - black screen cursor

2. Black screen with cursor on startup after updating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen with cursor on startup after updating: Whenever I do this update and restart, the screen is just black with my cursor I can open task manager, RUN, cmd, Powershell but I cannot see the screen. I tried all the solutions I found online like Restarting file explorer,SFC/scannow, the DISM command i forgot the name,...
  3. Black screen with cursor on startup after updating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen with cursor on startup after updating: Whenever I do this update and restart, the screen is just black with my cursor I can open task manager, RUN, cmd, Powershell but I cannot see the screen. I tried all the solutions I found online like Restarting file explorer,SFC/scannow, the DISM command i forgot the name,...
  4. Black Screen with cursor after update installing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen with cursor after update installing: I'm not asking for my self. My Windows 10 Laptop is working fine. I'm asking this question for my Friend. My friend recently update the windows 10 version. The Windows update stucked at 15% . I don't know what he exactly did. He Said, "I forcefully shut down the Laptop and...
  5. Black Screen with Cursor After recent update

Black Screen with Cursor After recent update: Hello, After recent update I am not able to see my windows login screen only getting black screen with cursor and after that nothing is happening after that I have follow lot's of article but those are not working also when I run in safe mode coming same thing so can you...
  6. Black screen with Cursor after start up?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen with Cursor after start up?: Has anyone else had issues after this last update where your computer starts up with a black screen with your cursor still available? I can't start safe mode for whatever reason and I cannot use the fix with ctr alt and dlt. I've tried everything else but nothing works....
  7. Black Screen with Cursor after update

Black Screen with Cursor after update: Hi I'm now getting a black screen with the cursor displayed after updating Windows 10. I cannot access the task manager or boot in safe mode. Which is all the suggested fixes I can find. How can I fix this?...
  8. Black Screen after Booting to Safemode with MSConfig

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black Screen after Booting to Safemode with MSConfig: I was trying to fix a problem I had with the Oculus software and for that I needed to boot into safe mode. The conventional way of doing it wasnt working for me so I decided to use msconfig. I turned on the "safe boot" option and restarted. Once i restarted it turned on but...
  9. Black Screen after iTunes Update. No Cursor

Black Screen after iTunes Update. No Cursor: My HP ENVY laptop with touch screen running Windows 10 Pro performed an update for the iTunes software. After the update and restart I had a black screen with no cursor. It is running because I can get keyboard responses like turn on keyboard backlight. Googled the...
  10. Black screen (with cursor) after Windows updates

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Black screen (with cursor) after Windows updates: Hello all, Today during my browsing with Chrome all of the sudden all of my 3 monitors just turned pitch black with only a cursor . At first I thought it might be a problem with the Graphics card since this is mainly my video editing PC that encodes a lot of video with...