Windows 10: Black screen with cursor and not able to open Task Manager after Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Discus and support Black screen with cursor and not able to open Task Manager after Ctrl+Alt+Del. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; There was multiple similar threads with different suggestions and resolutions. None of them worked for me, could be due to slight variation of causes.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by R[V], Jul 23, 2018.

1. R[V] Win User

Black screen with cursor and not able to open Task Manager after Ctrl+Alt+Del.

There was multiple similar threads with different suggestions and resolutions.

None of them worked for me, could be due to slight variation of causes.

In my case, we had multiple(7) brand new Lenovo PC's(Win10Pro x64 v1803) with exact same problem:

1.First login OK

2. After restart/shutdown - black screen, pointer and nothing else work : cant get Task Manager or any other sign of life from PC's.

I noticed, that Ethernet icon on logon screen was red-exed while cable connected - PC,s not able to read any network.

3. Further more "Ease of access" icon would pop menu on click, but freeze - none controls work and menu window stay on - only way to get out there - power cycle PC, after which able to log on properly. Issue persist on next restart/start.

4. I noticed that from black screen, after Ctrl+Alt+Del in attempt of restart or shutdown, notification pops "Someone is still using this PC. Shutdown/restart anyway". If proceed anyway - black screen with pointer after logon

Disabling "Fast startup" didn't help.

Disabling hibernation(from cmd) didn't help.

Resolution was to TURN OFF "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update or restart" in

Settings>>Accounts>>Sign-in options

:)

2. Ctrl+Alt+Del lag?

All of a sudden, nothing has changed, but when I use the Ctrl+Alt+Del shortcut, my mouse cursor disappears and it after 2 or 3 seconds screen goes black and then after another 2-3 seconds the blue screen with the options like log out, task manager etc appears.

If I hit Task manager, same thing happens. It takes like 5 seconds for it to pop up and there is a periodic black screen in the middle of the operation.

What could be causing this?

Edit: if I hit CTRL+SHIFT+ESC (Task manager shortcut), it's instant.

So it's something to do with that blue screen. It never did it before.. should I be worried?

MLG The Canadian, Jul 23, 2018
  3. Ctrl Alt Del, Vista

The whole Ctrl+Shift+Esc should be used to get that crazy screen with those options and Ctrl+Alt+Del should bring up TM.

CrAsHnBuRnXp, Jul 23, 2018
  4. jonmcc33 Win User

Ctrl Alt Del, Vista

On a domain you won't get Task Manager when you hit Ctrl+Alt+Del. You get a crazy screen with a bunch of options.

Ctrl+Shift+Esc has always brought up just the Task Manager, even back to Windows XP days. You just weren't aware of it. *Wink Black screen with cursor and not able to open Task Manager after Ctrl+Alt+Del. ;)

Go ahead, try it in Windows XP too.

jonmcc33, Jul 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Black screen with cursor and not able to open Task Manager after Ctrl+Alt+Del. - Similar Threads - Black screen cursor

2. Blacks screen with cursor on laptop. CTRL + ALT + DEL doesn't work.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Blacks screen with cursor on laptop. CTRL + ALT + DEL doesn't work.: Hi,I hope someone can help me. I was on my laptop the other day and ended up with a malware pop up on my laptop. I did a Norton scan, and it said it fixed everything I just needed to restart for everything to be back to normal.. I've not been able to get to my home screen. I...
  3. Blacks screen with cursor on laptop. CTRL + ALT + DEL doesn't work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blacks screen with cursor on laptop. CTRL + ALT + DEL doesn't work.: Hi,I hope someone can help me. I was on my laptop the other day and ended up with a malware pop up on my laptop. I did a Norton scan, and it said it fixed everything I just needed to restart for everything to be back to normal.. I've not been able to get to my home screen. I...
  4. Blacks screen with cursor on laptop. CTRL + ALT + DEL doesn't work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BLACK SCREEN WINDOWS 11 - CTRL + ALT + DEL NOT WORKING - TASK MANAGER NOT COMING UP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BLACK SCREEN WINDOWS 11 - CTRL + ALT + DEL NOT WORKING - TASK MANAGER NOT COMING UP: I decided to reset my computer and start new and now I'm having trouble logging into my desktop PC windows 11. It comes up with a black screen with cursor. I have tried multiple methods. I've tried rebooting and restarting the PC multiple times. CTRL + ALT + DEL is not...
  6. BLACK SCREEN WINDOWS 11 - CTRL + ALT + DEL NOT WORKING - TASK MANAGER NOT COMING UP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BLACK SCREEN WINDOWS 11 - CTRL + ALT + DEL NOT WORKING - TASK MANAGER NOT COMING UP: I decided to reset my computer and start new and now I'm having trouble logging into my desktop PC windows 11. It comes up with a black screen with cursor. I have tried multiple methods. I've tried rebooting and restarting the PC multiple times. CTRL + ALT + DEL is not...
  7. black screen Ctrl+Alt+Del

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    black screen Ctrl+Alt+Del: Windows 10 all updates installed 4770K Asus 7970 top 3 GB 16GB ddr 3 SSD Evo 250gb for windows and a few games with around 90GB free space HDD 1TB A few times recently my computer didnt boot into windows.. A few times it booted to black screen with 'ctrl+alt+del restart'.....
  8. Ctrl+Alt+Del

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ctrl+Alt+Del: When I start the computer it is locked. It is asking for Ctrl+Alt+Del to be entered. When I do this there is no response. I cannot get to the password entry; the keyboard doesn't respond. How do I fix this?...
  9. Lock screen is black, has to use Ctrl-Alt-Del

in Windows 10 Support
    Lock screen is black, has to use Ctrl-Alt-Del: Sometimes when I try to wake from sleep, the lock screen does not show up and I have to use Ctrl-Alt-Del to force to the login screen , not the lock screen. The login screen has name, profile picture and password. 44748
  10. Black screen, rapidly blinking cursor, no ctrl-alt-del

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen, rapidly blinking cursor, no ctrl-alt-del: I am having a problem that- after the huge problem I had some weeks ago- have made me worried. My pc is a panasonic notebook running windows 10. It is connected to a power plug that is somehow special- I don't know if that is the problem or not. (the plug disconnects...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black screen not able to see task manager