Windows 10: Black Screen with Cursor at startup

Discus and support Black Screen with Cursor at startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; 2nd time poster, 1st time...."new threader". I kind of jumped into another black screen thread with this and it was suggested (rightly) that I start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MarkRNY, Jun 13, 2017.

1. MarkRNY Win User

Black Screen with Cursor at startup

2nd time poster, 1st time...."new threader".

I kind of jumped into another black screen thread with this and it was suggested (rightly) that I start a new one. I'll just copy/paste what I posted there. I'm kind of a computer semi-literate, so forgive any dumb questions I might have--

"I'm having this startup, black screen with cursor nightmare too--hangs on Black screen at startup for an hour before it goes to the sign on screen. Been Googling and watching youtube "fix" vids like a maniac for 3 days now (a lot of Windows 10 hatred out there).

On one of the vids, the "tech guy" who did the vid wrote that if you can see ANYTHING (his emphasis) on your screen when it hangs, it's not a hard drive problem. Is this true?? I don't want to bring it into Best Buy (if I can't resolve this) and pay 150 bucks for a diagnostic just to be told my hard drive's fried and I need a new computer.

When my computer's running, it works fine. I've been leaving it on 24/7 and using Sleep Mode when I'm not using it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks."

:)

MarkRNY, Jun 13, 2017
  2. dwicker Win User

Black screen with only mouse cursor at startup after windows 10 installation.

I have a Dell OptiPlex 980 Desktop. It has a Nvidia GeoForce 8400 GS card.

I too get the black screen with the cursor. I was able to get it into safe mode, by stopping the start up after the new teal blue windows logo appears by pressing the off button. After the third start up, I can go into Repair Mode and the get to Safe mode
    with networking. I can the finally " see the desktop in Safe Mode.

I used msconfig and stopped all the services and the system boots fine in Safe Mode.

I noticed the the non MS services had to do with my Nvidia card. So I pulled the card out of desktop and uninstalled all of the Nvidia software suite.

I rebooted, now all is normal. So I installed the card again, but not the software.

MS Win 10 installed the MS Basic adapter, and didn't detect the Nvidia Card initially.

After 10-15 minutes in Device manager, the card changes to Nvidia GeoForce again and uses the MS supplied driver. Upon reboot, I get the black screen again.

I was able to get back into Repair mode and it restored the system back prior to the detection of the Nvidia card. I tried the second time to install the Nvidia version of the GeForce 8400 GS driver suite. Upon reboot, I get the same black screen.

I have restored the system back to prior to Nvidia detection and will stay away from the device manage detection. Now it works like normal upon boot up.

I have two laptops that need upgrades to Win 10 and they both have Nvidia cards, so I will wait to upgrade given the issues above.

dwicker, Jun 13, 2017
  3. Black screen with only mouse cursor at startup after windows 10 installation.

Try this:

1.)Alt+Ctrl+Delete

2.)Click Task Manager

3.)On Task Manager window, click File then Run New Task.

4.)Type in explorer.exe then enter.

This works on some cases.

Angelo Esquillo, Jun 13, 2017
  4. MarkRNY Win User

I'll just add that Caledon Ken gave this advice for a fix--

"Yours is likely a Fast Start Up issue,
    To a command prompt(admin) type
    powercfg -h off
    This shuts off hibernation and disables Windows Fast Start Up."

Sounds good to me. I might ask to be walked through that a little more though (lol). It's that semi-literate thing.

Hard for me to believe this is a hard drive problem. It runs too well. I could be wrong, of course.

MarkRNY, Jun 13, 2017
  5. Bastet Win User
    Do you have an nVidia graphics card &/or wireless mouse/keyboard?
    I had a similar problem with black screen, in my case it turned out to be nVidia update. I could open & see task manager but nothing else, while there I closed anything which mentioned nVidia & screen burst into life. I uninstalled the graphics driver & reinstalled.

Bastet, Jun 13, 2017
  6. MarkRNY Win User
    No, just the Intel processor that came with the laptop.

It got worse today. Microsoft did another big update for Windows 10 late last night, and it forced a restart. This time it hung on black screen with no cursor, just that circle/loading thingy spinning for over an hour before it went to the sign on screen. The updates loaded "successfully" this time. Unfortunately, now I can't read anything on my Desktop (lol). I can see all of the Desktop icons but can't read them, e.g.-I can open Device Manager and see all the icons there, but don't know which icon is for what (Graphics, Sound, etc.). Can't read System Restore, Reset, etc or see where to click to run them. But Microsoft did congratulate me on getting all their great improvements! That was nice of them.

Thing is that I can run all the softwear I have installed and use the Internet with Edge as you can see (although Google Chrome is unreadable). My desktops trashed though.

Now I'm thinking that it is my hard drive or my graphics driver, but I swear there wasn't any problem before the 1st massive update they did a couple of weeks ago. I might have to spring for a new laptop now, but I'll never use Windows 10 again if I can avoid it and I'm not alone. I'll get one with 7 installed if I can. Many others did.

Thanks, Bastet. I'd still welcome any suggestions. Say "Hey" to your cats! One of my neighbors walks hers every morning.

MarkRNY, Jun 14, 2017
  7. Bastet Win User
    Bastet, Jun 14, 2017
  8. MarkRNY Win User

That's exactly correct--Icons but no text, and when I try to run Windows programs, like Troubleshoot, System Restore, etc., there's no text and I can't see what to click.

I have nothing but Windows Defender, but I'm going to check out the links you posted anyway. Maybe it's a Defender problem. The updates had a lot to do with Defender and the firewall stuff. It's also strange that when I try to open Defender through Settings, the window hangs for a few seconds then closes. I can't get at it. Frustrating as hell.

I appreciate the help, Bastet.

MarkRNY, Jun 14, 2017
  9. Bastet Win User
    It may be Windows firewall.
    I'll see if I can find any further information.

Bastet, Jun 14, 2017
  10. MarkRNY Win User
    Really appreciate it.

Right now I'm looking at ways to disable Defender through a command prompt, since they say System Restore doesn't work unless it's turned off. The last two I tried with Defender on failed.

Thanks, Bastet.

MarkRNY, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Black Screen with Cursor at startup - Similar Threads - Black Screen Cursor

2. Black screen with cursor on startup after updating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen with cursor on startup after updating: Whenever I do this update and restart, the screen is just black with my cursor I can open task manager, RUN, cmd, Powershell but I cannot see the screen. I tried all the solutions I found online like Restarting file explorer,SFC/scannow, the DISM command i forgot the name,...
  3. Black screen with cursor on startup after updating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen with cursor on startup after updating: Whenever I do this update and restart, the screen is just black with my cursor I can open task manager, RUN, cmd, Powershell but I cannot see the screen. I tried all the solutions I found online like Restarting file explorer,SFC/scannow, the DISM command i forgot the name,...
  4. Black screen with cursor on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen with cursor on startup: So yesterday when I started up my PC I noticed it was lingering on a black screen so I rebooted it, then another black screen but this time it was gone after a minute or so and showed the login screen. I thought nothing of it at the time, but now every time I start it up I...
  5. Black screen with cursor on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen with cursor on startup: So yesterday when I started up my PC I noticed it was lingering on a black screen so I rebooted it, then another black screen but this time it was gone after a minute or so and showed the login screen. I thought nothing of it at the time, but now every time I start it up I...
  6. Black screen with cursor on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Black Screen With Cursor On Startup

Black Screen With Cursor On Startup: Pls help me my other lapto has a black screen with cursor i tried everything and i watched dozens of yt vids pls help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-with-cursor-on-startup/5dc3ad10-7320-4776-ad8f-17af5e6b7968
  8. Black screen on startup, no cursor

Black screen on startup, no cursor: For the past few days now, the first time I boot my laptop up for the day, it loads the Acer logo and spinning wheel, then goes to a black screen. There's no cursor when this happens, either.If I force-reset pressing the power button down for a few seconds, then restart, the...
  9. Black Screen With Cursor On Startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black Screen With Cursor On Startup: I'm Using A Laptop And For A While Now When I Switch It On I Get A Black Screen With Cursor Instead If My Login Window.And I Found Out That When You Press Enter And Type Your Password Blindly It Works And Sends You To Your Desktop.But Everytime On Switch On My PC The Same...
  10. Windows 10 Black screen with cursor at startup.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Black screen with cursor at startup.: Hello, When I turn on my desktop, Windows 10 Pro starts cleanly. I wait for the login screen, but the screen turns black, an arrow appears but nothing else happens ... ! What could be the problem and what can I do to solve it ? Thanks in advance for your reply : to L:...