Windows 10: Black Screen with error message.

Discus and support Black Screen with error message. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just installed Win10 on a Win7 machine. Started it up and walked away. Came back 3hrs later and all that was on the screen was this message:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by davet102, Jul 29, 2015.

1. davet102 Win User

Black Screen with error message.

Just installed Win10 on a Win7 machine.
    Started it up and walked away.

Came back 3hrs later and all that was on the screen was this message:

Cannot Display this Video Mode. Optimum Resolution 1280 x 1024 60Hz

I can restart the machine and the normal Dell start up stuff happens. The Win10 logo comes up and then the screen goes black with the above message. No cursor. No nothing.

I cant even get the monitor settings to function once the black screen appears.

I can get into the monitor settings during boot up but cant make any changes before the black screen comes up.

At this point my computer is useless.

Help!!

Bob
    *Confused

:)

davet102, Jul 29, 2015

2. Windows 10 update of

Hi Sancho,

Have you encountered any error messages prior to the black screen issue?

You can refer to this link for troubleshooting steps for the black screen error:

Troubleshoot black screen error.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Ariane End, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Anniversary update problemsWhen the anniversary update tries to apply it goes as far as the screen with the rotating balls and that's it. It will stay there for at least 12 hours

No error messages. Just the black screen with the rotating balls.

racer682000, Jul 29, 2015
  4. HeyBig Win User

I have the same message. I believe it is because my video card is so old there is no driver in Windows 10. It was originally a Windows Vista 32-bit box and was upgraded to win7 pro.

I am able to access it on windows 10 by remote desktop from another machine.

HeyBig, Jul 30, 2015
  5. davet102 Win User
    I was just able to get mine to work. I had to remove the video card that had been in the machine since it had Vista on it. Running everything through the motherboard video connection and everything works fine now.

As I got the above message I had just got the computer back together and Win 10 just finished installing. It was ironic that it came at almost the same time I go mine to work.

Bob

davet102, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Black Screen with error message. - Similar Threads - Black Screen error

2. Black Screen, task manager not opening, error messages!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen, task manager not opening, error messages!: Hello, my boyfriends computer has a black screen when we log inti his windows. The mouse is still there and when this happened before I was able to open the task manager the issue eventual resolved itself but now I am even unable to open task manager. When booted into safe...
  3. Black Screen, task manager not opening, error messages!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen, task manager not opening, error messages!: Hello, my boyfriends computer has a black screen when we log inti his windows. The mouse is still there and when this happened before I was able to open the task manager the issue eventual resolved itself but now I am even unable to open task manager. When booted into safe...
  4. Black screen error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen error: I am having a black screen error the display is not visible nor the cursor is seen just when the laptop starts and audio is heard not even the manufacturer logo when the laptop starts is visible ctrl + alt + delete is not working even continuous power on shut down is not...
  5. Error message and black screen.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error message and black screen.: Hello I have been receiving a error message that says "A new guard page for the stack cannot be created" and then my screen goes black and sometimes restarts my computer....
  6. Black screen and StopCode message

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen and StopCode message: Just now encountered a black screen that when to a blue screen StopCode screen. Before pc restarted was able to write down the following: SYSTEM.SERVICE.EXCEPTION What failed: RTKVHD64.sys What is at issue and what should be done. Note on occassion a black screen...
  7. Black screen error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen error: First i had a windows 7 but i updated it using tool to windows 10 suddenly there was a disk checking and now when i start my system after entering the password i can see only a cursor on a Black screen please reply i tried it to solve using task manager but when i open the...
  8. Black screen error

Black screen error: First i had a windows 7 but i updated it using tool to windows 10 suddenly there was a disk checking and now when i start my system after entering the password i can see only a cursor on a Black screen please reply i tried it to solve using task manager but when i open the...
  9. Black screen error

10. Strange message on black screen (screen lock?)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange message on black screen (screen lock?): Neither McAfee nor Windows Defender find a virus but whenever my screen lock comes on, I get the following strange message: "There are no pictures in Libraries\Pictures". I can't make a screen print because as soon as I touch any key, the message disappears. The message is in...