Windows 10: Blank screen with mouse cursor after login

Discus and support Blank screen with mouse cursor after login in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It's all good, @copiman. I could say the same thing myself: I keep learning (and doing) more myself, thanks to all the fascinating stuff going on and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018.

1. EdTittel Win User

Blank screen with mouse cursor after login

It's all good, @copiman. I could say the same thing myself: I keep learning (and doing) more myself, thanks to all the fascinating stuff going on and being discussed here. Keep it up!
    Thanks,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
  2. copiman Win User

I have an HP Pavilion 17-1053us laptop. The issue is as follows:

Upon turning on it will get to the login screen. You see a full screen with login in box. Put in password and the boot starts. Then when you would expect the desktop to appear, I get a black screen with a mouse cursor. I get the same if I try safe mode. I can get to troubleshoot after interrupting boot a few times. I can also get to CTR ALT DELETE stuff. I did a restore point back to before this started and still have the issue. Tried a few things found googling but no go, so I came here to get suggestions on how to troubleshoot and resolve.

:)

copiman, Apr 13, 2018
  3. Arjay Dom Win User
    Lenovo G505s - blank screen with mouse cursor after login following latest Windows update

Since you've rolled back to the previous version of Windows (1703), try to download and run Windows Update troubleshooter first, and try updating again. For more information on how to run the troubleshooter for Windows Update, click
    here.

You can also perform a clean boot before updating to 1709 just to make sure that everything is in a clean state.

Don't hesitate to get back to us if you need further assistance.

Arjay Dom, Apr 13, 2018
  4. Blank screen with mouse cursor after login

Lenovo G505s - blank screen with mouse cursor after login following latest Windows update

Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure it will help.

Before the update is applied (and after I rolled it back) the machine worked perfectly.

After the update is applied even Safe Mode is unusable.

Are you suggesting I should uninstall my display driver before the update runs again?

It's a similar challenge with the Clean Boot - after the update I can't do anything other than log on and stare at a blank screen. Before the update a clean boot would make no noticeable difference because the system works.

I have onboard graphics only by the way.

Any other suggestions please?

JamesWyper, Apr 13, 2018
  5. pyramid10 Win User
    You may have already tried this:

If there is a monitor and cable available, would the result be the same?

It may eliminate the driver, the graphics hardware, or the laptop screen as possible source of frustration.

Do you get a taskbar at all? If not, that would suggest a repair install is needed, or dism to repair or replace bad OS components.

pyramid10, Apr 13, 2018
  6. copiman Win User
    I have not tried another monitor since the login screen has a full screen showing the background picture. My thought is if it shows as normal that the graphics are fine. If I am wrong please let me know.

No, there is no taskbar. Only a black screen with the mouse cusor. I can enter task manager and troubleshooting.

I ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and get error: 50 Dism does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option.

Tried sfc /scannow and got: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation

Is it time to remove HDD and get data off and do a clean install? Or a repair install? I think I can get data off by connecting hard drive to a desktop. Everything else (Apps) I can reload.

Not sure what next step would be.*Confused

copiman, Apr 13, 2018
  7. Just out of curiosity, what happens if you try to run explorer.exe via task manager?

It could also be that, your computer thinks it has another monitor connected and set as main, and what you see on your main screen is what it treats as the secondary monitor. Just a wild guess. Although in Windows 10 I imagine it'd also show your wallpaper, once logged in, on any external monitor as well, not just a black screen

TheDeerDude, Apr 13, 2018
  8. copiman Win User

Explorer shows to be running in Task Manager. I can stop it and restart it.

I used an HDMI cable to connect laptop to external monitor and see the same results. Toggled thru the 4 settings:
    ● PC screen only: View the screen image on the computer only.● Duplicate: View the screen image simultaneously on both the computer and the externaldevice.● Extend: View the screen image extended across both the computer and the externaldevice.● Second screen only: View the screen image on the external device only

got the same results as laptop screen.

Something is haywire. The CPU @ 85%, Disk mostly explorer and svchost.exe(UnistackSvcGroup) @ 93% all at idle

copiman, Apr 13, 2018
  9. EdTittel Win User
    If completely removing the graphics driver using Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade. If that doesn't work, you'll have to wipe the drive and perform a clean install. For your sake I hope it doesn't come to that: I know from repeated experience how much time it takes to restore a Win10 PC to my preferred state, with all the apps, applications, settings and customizations required to get there. I can only imagine things will be quite similar, if not exactly the same, for you.
    HTH, and best of luck in your repair maneuvers.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 13, 2018
  10. copiman Win User
    Thanks Ed. I'm not sure how I would uninstall and reinstall the driver. I have no display.

I not sure but don't you have to do a repair install from within Windows? Not sure if I can do it since I have no screen.

Forgive me, for I am not questioning you, but I may be thinking wrong. Your input has always helped me in the past.

copiman, Apr 13, 2018
  11. EdTittel Win User
    Win10 should load a generic driver if you use DDU to uninstall the current one. Obviously, you must have graphics to use the system. But I understand your concerns. If you simply want to skip ahead to the in-place repair install, I think that would be OK, too.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 13, 2018
  12. copiman Win User
    Again thank you. While I was editing post #7, you responded.

My question is does the repair install require that you do it from within Windows? Once I log on I cannot see anything in order to maneuver.

copiman, Apr 13, 2018
  13. Blank screen with mouse cursor after login

You said you could access task manager?

You could press the windows key on the keyboard, and the letter I together (win+i) and it should open the settings dialogue allowing you to proceed to "Refresh/Reset this PC" or via Task Manager by going to File> Run new task> and type in "ms-settings:"

TheDeerDude, Apr 13, 2018
  14. EdTittel Win User
    Yes, it does require you to run from inside Windows. @TheDeerDude has made a good suggestion on how to get where you need to go without being able to see what's on screen. Another way to do it would be to hit W+R (run box) then type H:\setup.exe and hit enter. But that means you must be dead sure that drive H: is what comes up when you stick a USB flash drive with the ISO unpacked onto it. Or, you'll just have to keep trying letters (you can skip A-C, and start with D: ) until you hit the right one.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 13, 2018
  15. copiman Win User
    Thanks DeeDude. Will give it a whirl. Whats wierd is I shut it down and turned back on and it did updates but went back to no screen. Maybe a clean install may be best to ensure any and all issues are gone. I will check with her and see if that's ok. If not I will do repair install.

copiman, Apr 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Blank screen with mouse cursor after login - Similar Threads - Blank screen mouse

2. Blank Screen with Cursor after Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank Screen with Cursor after Login: I just installed the most recent cumulative update for Microsoft Windows 10 on my laptop late last week. Since that time, whenever I login it dumps me onto a blank screen with no desktop icons or taskbar, but there is a cursor, and I can run chrome and probably other apps...
  3. Blank Screen with Cursor after Login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank Screen with Cursor after Login: I just installed the most recent cumulative update for Microsoft Windows 10 on my laptop late last week. Since that time, whenever I login it dumps me onto a blank screen with no desktop icons or taskbar, but there is a cursor, and I can run chrome and probably other apps...
  4. Blank Screen with Cursor after Login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Blank screen with mouse pointer after windows login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank screen with mouse pointer after windows login: Hi,I know many have asked, and I have tried everything I have seen so far. Just bought the PC new, win10 with gtx 1650 graphics. Worked fine for a couple of startups, then message about disk errors followed by boot into normal login screen. This goes into black screen with...
  6. Blank screen with mouse pointer after windows login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank screen with mouse pointer after windows login: Hi,I know many have asked, and I have tried everything I have seen so far. Just bought the PC new, win10 with gtx 1650 graphics. Worked fine for a couple of startups, then message about disk errors followed by boot into normal login screen. This goes into black screen with...
  7. Blank screen with mouse pointer after windows login

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Blank screen with cursor after login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blank screen with cursor after login: Hi all, I'm having a total nightmare and I'm hoping someone can suggest a fix. My main windows account seems to be very broken, when I try to log in I just get a black screen with a cursor. Ctrl + Alt + Del works but if I select task manager I get an hour glass briefly then...
  9. after login- blank screen with mouse pointer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    after login- blank screen with mouse pointer: I have been using Windows 10 for a couple of years. 5 days ago, while issuing a print, Windows 10 desktop disappeared suddenly. I get a blank screen with mouse pointer. No desktop, no task bar, no start menu. I tried the following options (after reading online) regedit...
  10. Blank screen after startup, no login, no mouse pointer

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank screen after startup, no login, no mouse pointer: Wonder if anyone could help. Switched on a friend's PC today with Windows 10 fully updated (upgraded from Windows 7 around a month ago), and it loads to where the login screen should be ie after the Windows 10 logo etc, but then the screen is blank. There's no mouse...