Windows 10: Blank screen with mouse cursor only after upgrading to 1803

Discus and support Blank screen with mouse cursor only after upgrading to 1803 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My friend has a two-year-old Lenovo G40-70 laptop and it was upgraded to Windows version 1803 recently. Upon restart from the upgrade it only presents... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bohemian9485, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Blank screen with mouse cursor only after upgrading to 1803

My friend has a two-year-old Lenovo G40-70 laptop and it was upgraded to Windows version 1803 recently. Upon restart from the upgrade it only presents a blank desktop and a movable mouse cursor. Tried to boot into laptop with low resolution/safe mode gives the same result. Pressing <Ctl>+<Alt>+<Del> would not bring up the Task Manager so I can restart Explorer. Using external display (VGA and HDMI) gives me the same result.

This laptop runs fine in Ubuntu 18.04 installation disk and Windows 10 PE based on Windows 10 1607 (but the display would crash when I use Gandalf's Windows 10 PE which is based on Windows 10 Falls Creator Update). This lead me to believe that the drivers supplied by Microsoft (starting from 2017) is not compatible with the laptop's graphic device (Intel HD Graphics).

I really dislike the shotgun approach (reformat and re-installation). What I planned to do is:
    • Disable the graphic drivers so Windows is forced to use basic display driver.
    • Update the graphic drivers from Intel after log into Windows.

But how to do this is what get me scratching my head. So any help regarding this is very much appreciated.

:)

bohemian9485, Jun 14, 2018

2. blank screen with showing mouse cursor

Original Title: about windows10

after installing windows10.when i restart my pc it goes blank screen with showing mouse cursor pls help meeee

poosalabalaji, Jun 14, 2018
  3. Windows 10 stuck on blank screen with mouse cursor at boot

Recently I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10. Everything installed and worked great for few weeks. After 2 or 3 weeks I can't boot to Windows 10 anymore.

The computer goes thru initial boot and before showing any windows 10 screens (no blue window, no dots etc) gets stuck on blank screen with blinking mouse cursor.

Per Microsoft engineer who responded to my previous post, I created windows 10 ISO disk. Booted from the disk, got thru the blue windows logo and dancing dots to a "Windows Setup" box with 2 options:

• 1. Continue with the upgrade (I already upgraded successfully and everything worked for a while)

2. Perform a clean installation
    Continuing upgrade gets me back to blank screen with blinking cursor.

I didn't try option 2, clean installation, because I am afraid to loose all my programs etc.

I installed turbotax after upgrading to win 10, but I don't think turbotax is a problem. I have no problems at all after installing it on another win 10 computer.

Now I regret upgrading to windows 10. Windows 7 worked perfectly fine.

Any suggestions how to repair the windows 10?

Or is there a way to go back to windows 7 without full reinstall?

Thanks for any help

andrewa_333, Jun 14, 2018
  4. TigTD Win User

Blank screen with mouse cursor only after upgrading to 1803

Windows 10, blank screen no cursor whilst upgrading

I have upgraded to Windows 10 and during the upgrade a blank screen appeared with nothing on it. No cursor as some peoples have. I have rebooted and still the same, it goes straight to a blank screen. Any suggestions, I am not technology minded so please
    make answer as simple as possible. Many thanks.

TigTD, Jun 14, 2018
Thema:

Blank screen with mouse cursor only after upgrading to 1803

1. Blank screen with mouse cursor only after upgrading to 1803 - Similar Threads - Blank screen mouse

2. Blank screen with only cursor showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank screen with only cursor showing: Please as regards the blank screen with only cursor I followed one of your instructions that involved inputing explorer.exe at task manager the option for run new task please how long am I meant to wait before I can finally access my screen...
  3. Blank screen with only cursor showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank screen with only cursor showing: Please as regards the blank screen with only cursor I followed one of your instructions that involved inputing explorer.exe at task manager the option for run new task please how long am I meant to wait before I can finally access my screen...
  4. Blank screen with only cursor showing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Blank Screen with Cursor after Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank Screen with Cursor after Login: I just installed the most recent cumulative update for Microsoft Windows 10 on my laptop late last week. Since that time, whenever I login it dumps me onto a blank screen with no desktop icons or taskbar, but there is a cursor, and I can run chrome and probably other apps...
  6. Black screen with only the cursor mouse

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen with only the cursor mouse: I had windows 10 on my computer but today I installed Windows 7 and the desktop crashed and didn't even load the icons, so I tried to start in safe mode and it got worse because now only a black screen appears with the mouse pointer after "starting windows" appears, help me...
  7. Random Blank blue screen with mouse cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Blank blue screen with mouse cursor: Hello, I have this desktop with Windows 10 that randomly gets a blank blue screen with nothing (not BSOD) (this not happens at login) Mouse works but nothing else... I know i can get out of that with task manager and login/logout, but this is a Work PC from someone else and...
  8. Blank screen with cursor -cold boot - after upgrading to Windows 1803

in Windows 10 Customization
    Blank screen with cursor -cold boot - after upgrading to Windows 1803: We have recently upgraded our three iC3D machines to Windows 10 (1803 – build 17134.112) We are experiencing a blank screen with a mouse cursor....
  9. Blank screen with mouse cursor after login

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank screen with mouse cursor after login: It's all good, @copiman. I could say the same thing myself: I keep learning (and doing) more myself, thanks to all the fascinating stuff going on and being discussed here. Keep it up! Thanks, --Ed--
  10. Windows 10 booting into blank screen with mouse cursor only

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 booting into blank screen with mouse cursor only: Hi all, I wanted to know if anyone could help with the below. I currently have a Windows 10 laptop that was working without issues for a while, however after a restart the laptop appears to load windows but never get to the login screen, only show a blank screen with...