Windows 10: Blank Start Menu Icons

Discus and support Blank Start Menu Icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since my upgrade from windows 7, all my start menu icons are blank. I've tried deleting the icon cache.db file, doesn't help. [img] 17233 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by userX01, Aug 17, 2015.

1. userX01 Win User

Blank Start Menu Icons

Since my upgrade from windows 7, all my start menu icons are blank. I've tried deleting the icon cache.db file, doesn't help.

Blank Start Menu Icons [​IMG]

:)

userX01, Aug 17, 2015
  2. hwtan Win User

Blank Icons In Start Menu

The way to get to safe mode is not working for an usb keyboard because my usb keyboard is not working when I am asked to select F4 or F5 to go into safe mode. The mouse does not work either. Bad design.

hwtan, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Blank Icons In Start Menu

Hi,

Thank you for posting your reply.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

Enable the built-in administrator account and check if the issue persist.

To enable the built-in administrator follow the below steps:

Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task Manager.

Click File > Run New Task

Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”

Type CMD and hit Enter. Then type or copy/paste the below command into it and hit Enter again

net user administrator /active:yes

Once you're done with the troubleshooting try to disable the administrator profile by replacing the
    yes with
    no in the above command line

Once you enable the administrator account, logout from the current user profile and login to the built-in administrator account and check if issue persist in the built-in administrator account.

If the issue does not persist in administrator account, come back to the user profile and create a new user profile and check if the issue persist.

If you are facing issues with key board and mouse,
    I suggest that you update your Key board and Mouse drivers and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below to perform an update.

• Click on the Start button, and type “Device Manager” on the search bar.
    • Open Device Manager, expand “Mice and other pointing devices”.
    • Find and double-click graphic adapter from the left panel to uninstall.
    • Right-click the device, and click Uninstall.
    • Windows will prompt you to confirm the device’s removal. Click OK to remove the driver.
    • After the uninstallation is complete, reboot your computer.
    Restart the system and let the PC download the drivers on its own.

Follow the same steps for key board as well.

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Thank you.

Guru Kiran G, Aug 17, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Blank Start Menu Icons

jds63, Aug 19, 2015
  5. userX01 Win User
    userX01, Aug 19, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Yeah, rebuild icon cache always first try did not know if followed all steps or just deleted. db file, let us know, your welcome !

jds63, Aug 19, 2015
  7. userX01 Win User
    I used the bat file to rebuild the icon cache, did sfc /scannow, the DISM command, and used the reg file to re associate the .ico file type. Icons are still blank, it did not work.

userX01, Aug 19, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

Blank Start Menu Icons

Do say every programs icon is blank there, even Microsoft apps to the right, do not see them in pic you captured ? Are you suing any Start Menu programs like Classic Shell or Start10 ? Saying this happened exactly after upgrade was finished ? Wanted to know, if any restore points before this exactly looked this way.

jds63, Aug 19, 2015
  9. userX01 Win User
    1. Microsoft apps are ok. Maps, Camera, ect are fine.
    2. I am not using Classic Shell or Start10.
    3. Yes, this happened right after my upgrade from windows 7.
    4. And, no. I don't have any restore points where the icons are ok. As I said, it happened as soon as I got windows 10.

userX01, Aug 19, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Besides the ADOBE programs in that same list there are also ones not pinned to the right of the Start menu,also system programs and MS ones, you say they are fine it is just only all third party software on system from upgrade you had already ? If so either try a reinstall of those programs will just modify the install and overwrite existing program or other option be to try a refresh. If it is every third party program was on it before, except for any MS.

If no restore points, SFC or Dism did not help along with doing icon cache rebuild done correctly, not sure what else yet to try.

jds63, Aug 19, 2015
  11. userX01 Win User
    I tried to reinstall one program already, the icon was still blank. as you can see here, MS programs are fine. So far windows 10 has not impressed me.

Blank Start Menu Icons [​IMG]

userX01, Aug 19, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    I can see and feel your frustration, just on this alone. Had issue like this with my printer and external drive showing these icons in Device and Printers, seemed solved after removing letting it reinstall, but seems not the case with you. Unless someone here knows more and until i can think of another way, refresh might be only solution for now. What i do to rebuild icon cache i delete file then end explorer.exe in task manager, start it again from File menu, run new task, then reboot. Commands can be done in command prompt to do it all this way for you. Obvious this did not work for u, problem with my printer icon this did not work either, could be bug in some systems with Windows 10.

If right click the icon and go to "open file location" does it show correct there ?

jds63, Aug 19, 2015
  13. damocles Win User

Blank Start Menu Icons

Perhaps reinstall all Adobe product from scratch ( Deactivate, uninstall, reboot, reinstall, activate )...my cs5.5 has the icon associated with the program no problems at all. Obviously this requires a valid serial number and activation ( not saying you don't have this ).

damocles, Aug 20, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    What i thought at first from pic, but issues not just with Adobe software.

jds63, Aug 20, 2015
  15. userX01 Win User
    Yes, it shows the icon on the shortcut fine. And yeah, it's not just a problem with adobe software.

userX01, Aug 20, 2015
Thema:

Blank Start Menu Icons

1. Blank Start Menu Icons - Similar Threads - Blank Start Menu

2. START MENU BLANK

in Windows 10 Gaming
    START MENU BLANK: After a recent update, I don't know when my pinned shortcuts are missing from my start menu it's all empty !!!!!!!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-blank/1e2b2b2c-4b3c-41b3-8735-c55e5419427a
  3. START MENU BLANK

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    START MENU BLANK: After a recent update, I don't know when my pinned shortcuts are missing from my start menu it's all empty !!!!!!!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-blank/1e2b2b2c-4b3c-41b3-8735-c55e5419427a
  4. start menu icons are all blank

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu icons are all blank: I have my start menu open however all icons are blank with only names on it. You will be able to open apps in start menu however the icons is all like folders and no certain picture....
  5. start menu icons are all blank

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start menu icons are all blank: I have my start menu open however all icons are blank with only names on it. You will be able to open apps in start menu however the icons is all like folders and no certain picture....
  6. start menu icons are all blank

7. Windows 10 Missing/Blank Start Menu Icons

Windows 10 Missing/Blank Start Menu Icons: As you can see on the screenshots below, these apps are blank. Most especially my apps like Chrome are like this as well the name changes, it becomes blank and un-openable.How do I fix this?...
  8. Windows 10 Missing/Blank Start Menu Icons

Windows 10 Missing/Blank Start Menu Icons: As you can see on the screenshots below, these apps are blank. Most especially my apps like Chrome are like this as well the name changes, it becomes blank and un-openable.How do I fix this?...
  9. Blank Application Icons In Start Menu

Blank Application Icons In Start Menu: My apps in the start menu currently have no icons on them as seen in photo Also my Settings shortcut in Start does also not work[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blank-application-icons-in-start-menu/12fcece1-2494-4826-9acc-75e1e9245108
  10. Start Menu and Blank icons. Literally.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu and Blank icons. Literally.: I can't open the start menu and I don't know why. The only thing I can do to it is right-click, nothing else. I cannot left-click it or even use the windows button. Also, there are two of my apps - Store and Microsoft Edge - have a blank icon. I can't open them nor unpin them...