Windows 10: Blank SysTray, No cursor in MSWord, Blank Dialogue Boxes etc

Discus and support Blank SysTray, No cursor in MSWord, Blank Dialogue Boxes etc in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have an Alienware m18x R2 laptop that has been successfully running Windows 10 Pro (upgraded automatically from Windows 7 Ultimate) for the last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kragen, Oct 10, 2017.

1. kragen Win User

Blank SysTray, No cursor in MSWord, Blank Dialogue Boxes etc

Hi, I have an Alienware m18x R2 laptop that has been successfully running Windows 10 Pro (upgraded automatically from Windows 7 Ultimate) for the last couple of years.

Intel Core i7 - 3820QM
    16GB RAM
    Dual nVidia GTX675M
    SoundBlaster Recon 3Di
    256GB SSD
    1TB HDD

Recently, however, I have run into a number of graphical issues that are making it hard to use.

The first thing I noticed is that the when I open the SysTray, I get a blank box instead of my tray icons. I tried to take a screenshot of this, but when hit the PrintScreen Button it displays so I am unable to copy an image of the issue.

I have the same issue with dialogue boxes and some right click menus as well as Device Manager, again when I hit PrintScreen my display refreshed and I can see what should be there.

Another Issue I am having is that I see no flashing cursor, or entered text in MS Word again until I hit PrintScreen (note that I am not having this issue filling out this forum post on the same computer).

I believe all my drivers are up to date.

Has anyone here experienced anything similar? And can you suggest what might be the cause or how to fix this annoyance?

:)

kragen, Oct 10, 2017

2. When I click on sign in option in the Start page, it brings up a blank grey dialogue box which remains for seconds the disappears.

Original title: Sign in

On th Start page there are a number of places to "sign in your Microsoft account" eg Photos, Settings etc. If I click on any of these it brings up a blank grey dialogue box which remains for seconds the disappears. How can I sign in from a blank box, there
    is nowhere to input anything. Microsoft support suggest posting here in the hope that someone might have a solution.

GrahamFurnival, Oct 10, 2017
  3. CD1973 Win User
    Error 0x8000FFFF when trying to download windows store apps

None of that worked. The reset just opens a blank little box with a cursor flashing.

CD1973, Oct 10, 2017
  4. Blank SysTray, No cursor in MSWord, Blank Dialogue Boxes etc

Please visit your laptop manufacturer website and install latest versions of device drivers.

Uninstall third part antivirus programs to find out if problems resolves.

I would like you to check the system integrity of your Windows OS installation.

• Please type cmd.exe into Start Menu search box.
    • Please right click cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator".
    • Please type the following command and press the <Enter> key: sfc /scannow (Please note that there is a space between 'sfc" and "/scannow".)
    • It should take about 20 minutes to run, if there are no serious errors.
    • If the System File Checker reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain; please reboot your computer and run the System File Checker from an Administrator Command Prompt, again.
    • If the System File Checker again reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain, please reboot your computer and run it a third time.
    • If "Resource Integrity Violations" (errors) are reported that could not be corrected, or were not corrected after a third SFC run, then please navigate to the folder: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS and copy the file "cbs.log" to your desktop immediately. I am asking you do that because that file is dynamic, so I want to be able to examine a copy that is unchanged from the time that the System File Checker was run.
    • If there are errors that couldn't be corrected, let me know and I will provide you with instructions as to how to upload the file

FreeBooter, Oct 10, 2017
  5. kragen Win User
    Thank you for your swift response, I am going through your suggestions in the order that you listed them.
    Dell/Alienware have never officially supported Windows 10 on my machine, however as I said, I have had no issues until recently, and believed I had the most up to date drivers available.
    That being said, I went to the Dell website, and ran their System Detect software so double check before I manually chek their available software.
    The System Detect also ran a Diagnostic of my machine with the following results...

As you can see it is suggesting that one (or posibly both) of my two 8GB memory modules needs to be replaced.

I'm guessing that I need to do this before I proceed further with the options you listed.

kragen, Oct 11, 2017
  6. Reset the RAM modules by reconnecting the RAM modules.
    Blow off any loose dust or debris from the RAM using canned air. Hold the module by its edges.
    Clean the contacts using a soft cloth that does not leave fibers behind, such as a lens cleaning cloth slightly moistened with rubbing alcohol.

FreeBooter, Oct 11, 2017
  7. kragen Win User
    Thank you, I will try this.

Further to my original post, my computer turned itself off (or put itself in sleep mode) overnight and when I powered it back up this morning, everything was working fine. Which again leads me to believe this might be related to the memory.

kragen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Blank SysTray, No cursor in MSWord, Blank Dialogue Boxes etc

1. Blank SysTray, No cursor in MSWord, Blank Dialogue Boxes etc - Similar Threads - Blank SysTray cursor

2. Printer Dialog Box Blank

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer Dialog Box Blank: I am having a problem with the printer dialog box opening and it is blank, in Edge. I have tried troubleshooting. Here's what I know:It's not the printerIt is only a problem in Edge, not other browsersI set up a second user on my computer and am able to print from Edge from...
  3. Printer Dialog Box Blank

in Windows 10 Customization
    Printer Dialog Box Blank: I am having a problem with the printer dialog box opening and it is blank, in Edge. I have tried troubleshooting. Here's what I know:It's not the printerIt is only a problem in Edge, not other browsersI set up a second user on my computer and am able to print from Edge from...
  4. Blank white box appears

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank white box appears: I have this issue on a computer where this feint white box appears and draws focus for a fraction of a second before disappearing. It appears for such a short time that to see the issue I had to record the screen and play the recording back frame by frame to figure out what...
  5. Blank white box appears

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank white box appears: I have this issue on a computer where this feint white box appears and draws focus for a fraction of a second before disappearing. It appears for such a short time that to see the issue I had to record the screen and play the recording back frame by frame to figure out what...
  6. Blank Screen with No Cursor at Startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blank Screen with No Cursor at Startup: Hello Everyone, Both my and dad's computer sometimes get stuck while starting and can't even get to the password screen. Sometimes the keyboard works while this happens e.g num lock/caps lock gives light when you press them but the cursor never appears. The fan works like...
  7. Search box blank

in Cortana
    Search box blank: If I type in the 'type here to search' box it brings up a black box. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box-blank/387cc735-d0c7-4630-9286-d7747364539d"
  8. Starting CMD from run dialogue is blank

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Starting CMD from run dialogue is blank: Running CMD from the Run prompt Windows + R results in a blank cmd window. Otherwise I can access cmd from wsl or powershell by running cmd.exe . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/starting-cmd-from-run-dialogue-is-blank/30c1c708-2cc8-4188-ba20-3a5d9e6952a7
  9. Screen blank at boot no cursor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen blank at boot no cursor: When I boot, I get a blank screen (w/o cursor). I tried booting into safe mode without success. Computer is Windows 10 originally. I tried using sfc command. Nothing found. Monitor is working. I removed ssd and replaced with another. I could only restore image with one two...
  10. blank screen, active cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    blank screen, active cursor: an old friend has phoned me up in a panic and will phone back later for advice. Her 4-year old laptop, running Windows 10 is just showing a black screen at start up, with active cursor. We have a Windows 10 laptop here, but I do not use it and am not familiar with the system....