Windows 10: Block USB storage?

Discus and support Block USB storage? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Something like this: Download USBLogView - MajorGeeks ? Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lolcocks, Oct 27, 2015.

1. CountMike New Member

Block USB storage?

CountMike, Oct 30, 2015
  2. spapakons Win User

Thanks CountMike! you are full of useful utilities. I'll add this in my collection too. Can it send the log by e-mail? Never mind, you can always connect via TeamViewer to check the log.

spapakons, Oct 30, 2015
  3. CountMike New Member
    I'm somewhat of a packrat when it comes to small utilities. Specially like small, specialized programs unlike those ones that do everything but clean windows but I can use only fraction of it's capabilities.

CountMike, Oct 30, 2015
  4. lolcocks Win User

Block USB storage?

But but.... Isn't there a way I could get notified instantly when someone connects a pen drive? *Sad

lolcocks, Oct 30, 2015
  5. CountMike New Member
    Notified where, by which means, internet, e-mail, cell phone ? You'd have to be in constant contact with your computer you want to monitor. A logistic nightmare in the works.

CountMike, Oct 30, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    You can just install TeamViewer and check any time from another computer or tablet. TeamViewer's password changes after each reboot, but you can also define a secret permanent password so you can connect anytime you want. Connect, run the utility to see the USB log and you are OK. In extreme cases you can even install a security camera or configure a webcam with surveillance software to see who was sitting on the computer at that time and what he did. There are parental control programs that can tell you exactly when the computer was used, which websites where visited and which applications where opened. It depends what you are trying to do.

As for USB storage, I think the best is your case is to combine the two utilities. The first to block access to pen drives and the second to see if anyone attempted to connect a pen drive and when was that. Also make other users standard so not to be able to alter your restrictions.

spapakons, Oct 31, 2015
  7. lolcocks Win User
    Any ways, like literally, email, call, SMS, slap across the face. Anything is fine.

I kind of wanted it to be without anyone knowing and without me connecting to TeamViewer all the time, like I have 8 PCs.

Sorry for being such a nuisance.

lolcocks, Oct 31, 2015
  8. Hydranix Win User

Block USB storage?

Corrupt the usbstor.sys driver and corrupt the system file recovery. (it will work, but you really shouldn't do that lol)

If these machines are being used by untrusted users as you indicate, since you must block USB storage devices, you should not allow them administrative access to the systems. You should use a combination of group policy and user account/group access restrictions.

You should also lock the bios with a password, and disable booting the laptop in any way other than the installed OS on the hard drive.

Hydranix, Oct 31, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    If the USB log utility can be run via the network for a remote computer, then you would check the log without anyone knowing. You can just connect to your computer via TeamViewer and execute the utility to see USB activity on the others. But I'm afraid it is a local only utility. Any similar utility that can be used for remote computers?

The best is to block access to external USB storage. If anyone attempts to connect a pen drive will fail. Later in the day you can run the USB log utility to see if there was such an attempt and by the time was done you could find out who did it. That's why I told you to combine the two utilities. It makes little difference if you discover it the moment it is done or later, as long as he cannot steal data. You can punish the guilty later. You could also limit the maximum size of attachments in e-mail or forbid them altogether, so they cannot steal data by e-mail either.

spapakons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Block USB storage?

1. Block USB storage? - Similar Threads - Block USB storage

2. How to block USB Storage devices, but allow specific ones using Intune?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to block USB Storage devices, but allow specific ones using Intune?: Hi,I'm trying to create a configuration profile with Intune that blocks USB Storage devices, but will allow specific ones based on the Device ID number or serial number. I've tried a number of links including the one below with no luck and the profile I create just blocks all...
  3. How to block USB Storage devices, but allow specific ones using Intune?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to block USB Storage devices, but allow specific ones using Intune?: Hi,I'm trying to create a configuration profile with Intune that blocks USB Storage devices, but will allow specific ones based on the Device ID number or serial number. I've tried a number of links including the one below with no luck and the profile I create just blocks all...
  4. How to block USB Storage devices, but allow specific ones using Intune?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. USB Storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Storage: It suddenly stopped yesterday. USB storage doesn't pop up in file manager, no matter how many times I format it. I even used diskpart. In diskpart, it's always labeled "unusable", even when I fully reinstalled windows from the media creation tool. When I plug them in, it's...
  6. USB Storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Storage: It suddenly stopped yesterday. USB storage doesn't pop up in file manager, no matter how many times I format it. I even used diskpart. In diskpart, it's always labeled "unusable", even when I fully reinstalled windows from the media creation tool. When I plug them in, it's...
  7. USB Storage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. USB Storage Blocking with Exceptions via Intune

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    USB Storage Blocking with Exceptions via Intune: Hi,We block storage USBs for students, but we would like to whitelist certain storage USB devices that are learning tools typically, IoT devices for coding classes. I want to whitelist individual storage devices. I cannot open up storage USBs to the group of technology...
  9. usb storage

usb storage: usb storage drive shows as flash and doesn't show in MyPC. Running Admin show as disk with no media offline https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-storage/ed24efe8-eabd-4681-b760-a530e652d86c
  10. how to Block USB storage on Windows 10 Computers

how to Block USB storage on Windows 10 Computers: Requirement :- Block All usb storage media and provide access to only company provided USB storage device(maximum of 10) Preference :- Group policy ,Defender ,ATP OS:- Windows 10 1709 User count :- Apprx 30K Antivirus :- Windows defender Kindly suggest whether below...