Windows 10: Blocking a program in firewall?

Discus and support Blocking a program in firewall? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm trying to block a program from connecting to the internet and I followed these instructions: How to Block a Program From the Internet in Windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Alfred001, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Alfred001 Win User

Blocking a program in firewall?

I'm trying to block a program from connecting to the internet and I followed these instructions:

How to Block a Program From the Internet in Windows 10 - Simple Help

for blocking a program from the windows firewall, but it doesn't seem to work. When I go into the program it tells me updates are available, so, obviously, its connecting to the internet.

I should say I have Avira antivirus connected, if that matters at all.

Does anyone know what I may have done wrong? I followed the instructions in that link precisely.

:)

Alfred001, Feb 24, 2017

2. Blocking and Allowing a Certain Program to a User in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Which option of the operating system are you exactly talking about (it will be easy for us to help you in resolving the issue quickly)?
    • Do you want to block the access of files & folders for the other user profile?

You can give permission for accessing/denying the files/folders on a drive to a user profile by setting appropriate permissions on the operating system.

To block the permission of the other user profile to access the files & folders, I suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Press Window logo + E keys on the keyboard and click on
      This PC located on the right hand panel of the screen.

• Open the drive where the application files are located.

• Right click on the application file and select Properties.

• Click on the Security tab of the window and click on the user profile name to deny access to under
      Group or user names.

• Click on Edit button and give permissions accordingly to the user profile.

• Click on Apply and OK.

• Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance.
    Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Feb 24, 2017
  3. Blocking and Allowing a Certain Program to a User in Windows 10

On windows 7 I was able to give a user access to a certain program in which I allowed them to use from a list of installed applications in my computer. Now I am having trouble finding that option , I created a account to use the family feature and from
    there I was only able to block programs from a certain rating. Have they removed this feature in Windows 10 and if so for what purpose?

UnruffledST, Feb 24, 2017
  4. Blocking a program in firewall?

Hi Alfred001

Does your Avira have a firewall? I know some versions do from my search "How do I block an application in Avira firewall."

ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 24, 2017
  5. RolandJS Win User
    If you're using Windows Firewall, you can add Windows 10 Firewall Control -- which can totally block from the internet a specific program. I'm a W7 person, so I use W7FC, which does the allowing and blocking thing.

RolandJS, Feb 24, 2017
  6. Alfred001 Win User
    There is a firewall section in Avira, but when I click settings it just leads me to the Windows firewall settings.

I suppose I could try that, but I want to try getting the job done with just the native controls, it should be possible, I followed those instructions, but, for whatever reason, doesn't work.

Alfred001, Feb 24, 2017
  7. sml156 Win User
    Maybe the update is cached somewhere.

If your lucky you might be able to use Something like CCleaner to clear the programs cache.

sml156, Feb 24, 2017
  8. Blocking a program in firewall?

Well if it is Windows Firewall then this tutorial may help.

Windows Firewall Allowed Apps - Add or Remove in Windows 10

I will say I'm confused. This morning I searched and it showed how to use their firewall. Tonight I search and found an article from Avira that said the had dropped their firewall as they thought Windows Firewall was sufficient. Then another article that said in their Pro version you need to enable. Interesting.

I assume that after you changed firewall rule you did a restart.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 25, 2017
  9. Alfred001 Win User
    I'm looking at the folder of this program and there's a few other .exes aside from the one with which you run the thing.

Could it be that I need to block those? I always run just this main .exe so I figure that should be enough.

Yeah, that occurred to me. I tried rechecking from updates (it does it automatically at startup, I assumed that might be cached) and a bar started filling up, which would indicate its not cached, and it found them again.

Yep, did a restart.

The tutorial you link to actually doesn't cover my situation. I need to ban something from connecting to the internet, the tutorial covers allowing things through or revoking permissions that had been granted.

Alfred001, Feb 25, 2017
  10. RolandJS Win User
    Sometimes a program you want to block from internet access has more than one EXE active; you might have to block more than one EXE contained in the directory of the program you want blocked.

RolandJS, Feb 25, 2017
  11. TairikuOkami, Feb 25, 2017
  12. munk1955 Win User
    I use Comodo Firewall only and have been using it since my old XP pro service pack 3 days and I think it is one of the best firewalls out there......I especially like that it also has a built in sandbox program for your browser which I use to its fullest extent!

Not to mention that it is highly configurable!

munk1955, Feb 27, 2017
  13. munk1955 Win User

TairikuOkami I was looking at your "system specs" and noticed you are running Yandex with DNS for your browser and you say you don't need a AV or Firewall ?.

So this DNS stuff protects your entire PC including email from all attacks ?....I don't have a clue as to what you are talking about so could you please explain this to me.......Thanks!

munk1955, Mar 1, 2017
  14. You do not really need a firewall, if you do not have open ports on your computer. And even ports are open by a trusted app, all you do, you allow it in a firewall, so the firewall makes no sense. If you have a router, it blocks unsolicited traffic, so even that is taken care of. Firewall is useful, when you need it, like in your case.

Safe DNS helps to block malware and phishing webpages, even prevents malware downloading from them.
    You can check my signature, there are many to choose from, people usually prefer Google or OpenDNS.
    I use other settings, but disabling Windows Scripting Host disables about half of the malware, if not all.

Majority of malware gets into PC via a browser or email. I use webmail, so my main focus is on a browser.
    Yandex is Chromium based with all its features, including sandbox, so I think, I am well protected.
    Not to mention, that Yandex checks downloaded files via Kaspersky, just like my email provider.

TairikuOkami, Mar 1, 2017
  15. munk1955 Win User
    So that's how you slovaks roll....Cool....I love to learn just as much as the next person.

Yeah I don't do to much email so I think I'm ok there but I definitely sandbox my firefox browser that comes with the Comodo firewall and I do use a router also.

Thanks for breaking it down for me about the DNS stuff......And I have just one question for you about the "disabling windows scripting host" is this somehting I should do also for someone like me using AV & Firewall or is this just for someone using the DNS thing ?.......Let me know.....Thanks!

munk1955, Mar 2, 2017
Thema:

1. Blocking a program in firewall? - Similar Threads - Blocking program firewall

2. " windows firewall has blocked some features of this program"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    " windows firewall has blocked some features of this program": i keep getting this message - it also says "this computer is blocked" "call 888.890.4333" critical alert.... system detected.... " https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-firewall-has-blocked-some-features-of-this/e4709e01-37f9-4778-8164-29d17cbf5f1b
  3. how do I block a program in a firewall?

how do I block a program in a firewall?: how do I block a program in a firewall? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-do-i-block-a-program-in-a-firewall/ff53f7b0-8814-435b-8677-af81cae5cc1f
  4. Can a firewall block a pre-installed simulation program?

Can a firewall block a pre-installed simulation program?: I have a pre-installed program that runs simulations for machinery. Can a firewall block certain items from being visually seen during the run function. Never had this problem before but I believe certain firewalls were added to are computer system. Thanks....
  5. Defender firewall block

Defender firewall block: This opened when I logged in: Windows Defender Firewall has blocked some features of SchedulerConsole on all public and private networks. Name: SchedulerConsole Publisher: Unknown Path: C:\program files...
  6. firewall is blocking internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    firewall is blocking internet: how do ifix firewall blocking internet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-is-blocking-internet/b1ac89ea-96dd-4476-b7d3-292a5793a415
  7. Windows Firewall -- Blocking a program causes it to be allowed

Windows Firewall -- Blocking a program causes it to be allowed: [ATTACH] I went into my firewall settings. I set an inbound and outbound rule to block a program on all networks. It appeared to work. But when I went into the "allow applications" options, I see that my newly-created rules are there. Why is this? The only way I can remove...
  8. Firewall blocked app

Firewall blocked app: What are the risks of allowing an app through a firewall? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-blocked-app/6d58a40d-b823-4d17-b972-67ed5d163a91"
  9. block program in firewall

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    block program in firewall: How do I block a program from connecting to internet in windows defender firewall? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/block-program-in-firewall/0bf73322-b39c-4884-95e4-06631eeb35d5
  10. How to block a complete program folder in defender firewall ?

How to block a complete program folder in defender firewall ?: Hello In windows defender firewall can I block a complete folder named ex: (google) or ex: (nero) , instead of individual apps in sub folders in the folder, so I can block entire program instead of just one app at a time ? I don't want to turn apps on or off one at a time,...