Windows 10: Blocking incoming/outgoing except MS Updates?

Discus and support Blocking incoming/outgoing except MS Updates? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a rig that I use for backups of all my devices, a desktop running windows 10. What is A way, or the best way, to limit its connectivity to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by cognus, Jan 1, 2018.

1. cognus Win User

Blocking incoming/outgoing except MS Updates?

I have a rig that I use for backups of all my devices, a desktop running windows 10. What is A way, or the best way, to limit its connectivity to the LAN, and to MS Updates, and effectively block everything else? searching around the web, I see a number of similar queries, but not good answers.

perhaps I better do it through the router?*really in this case netgear R7000. the 'server' has static ip...

:)

cognus, Jan 1, 2018
  2. DRA93 Win User

Nokia C2 - how to block numbers?

THIS PROCEDURE CAN NOT BLOCK A SPECIFIC NO, INSTEAD IT WILL BLOCK ALL OUTGOING /INCOMING CALLS.

DRA93, Jan 1, 2018
  3. VANTRE Win User
    COMPUTERS IN NETWORK

The problem was solved by configuring the antivirus programme which was blocking the incoming and outgoing traffic.

VANTRE, Jan 1, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

A simple way is to remove the default gateway from the network setting then nothing can get out then use then use the router CMD to give a route to ms updates only

Samuria, Jan 1, 2018
  5. sml156 Win User
    You can do this but first you will have to find out the correct URL's for Windows update that you need to add to your HOSTS file. Once you do the changes below you will not have any connectivity except for the changes you make in the HOSTS file.

I did this on a Win 7 machine but all versions of Windows should behave the same way, I had to use another OS so I could write this to the forum.

In My example I only want my computer to connect to example.com so once I found the IP I did this.

Open your network adapters and set a static IP with all the correct settings for your subnet.

In my case it looks like this:

Blocking incoming/outgoing except MS Updates? [​IMG]

and set the DNS server to 127.0.0.1 leave the secondary empty.

Now open your HOSTS file usually located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ (I use notepad++ It just works without a fuss)

My edited HOSTS file (I added 93.184.216.34 example.com at the bottom)

Code: # Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp. # # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows. # # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name. # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one # space. # # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol. # # For example: # # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host # localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself. # 127.0.0.1 localhost # ::1 localhost 93.184.216.34 example.com[/quote] I had to do a bit command line foo to get the IP of example.com before I made the changes to the network adapter using the command nslookup example.com
    Code: >nslookup example.com Server: pi10 Address: 192.168.200.10 Non-authoritative answer: Name: example.com Addresses: 2606:2800:220:1:248:1893:25c8:1946 93.184.216.34[/quote] After making the above changes you will have to run the command below to flush out you cached DNS entries or it will take awhile for the changes to work
    Code: ipconfig /flushdns[/quote] I do not know what URL Microsoft update uses you will have to figure that out yourself DNSQuerySniffer v1.65 from NirSoft may help you with that or the netstat command.

Just be aware that this is by no means a secure way to lock down a computer, but for a home user with a computer that friends or family do not tinker with it will be fairly safe.

Also be aware that Microsoft has probably many thousands of update servers and at anytime the IP you pick may go down unexpectedly.

sml156, Jan 2, 2018
  6. sml156 Win User
    You may be in for a bigger job than you think, I went threw my DNS server logs for the last 4 or 5 months and found what I think might be related to Windows update

Code: 000055-1.l.windowsupdate.com 000092-1.l.windowsupdate.com ## URL's like these can grow into the 000100-1.l.windowsupdate.com ## millions if they want 000797-1.l.windowsupdate.com 000855-1.l.windowsupdate.com 000e57-1.l.windowsupdate.com 000eed-1.l.windowsupdate.com 00108b-1.l.windowsupdate.com 001194-1.l.windowsupdate.com 0015fa-1.l.windowsupdate.com 001a22-1.l.windowsupdate.com 001a95-1.l.windowsupdate.com 001d24-1.l.windowsupdate.com 001d8d-1.l.windowsupdate.com 001de9-1.l.windowsupdate.com 00208f-1.l.windowsupdate.com 0023dc-1.l.windowsupdate.com 0024ca-1.l.windowsupdate.com 002545-1.l.windowsupdate.com 00254c-1.l.windowsupdate.com 0026a2-1.l.windowsupdate.com ## End of millions appexmapsappupdate.blob.core.windows.net au.download.windowsupdate.com catalog.update.microsoft.com ctldl.windowsupdate.com definitionupdates.microsoft.com download.microsoft.com download.windowsupdate.com ds.download.windowsupdate.com fe2.update.microsoft.com sls.update.microsoft.com updates.push.services.mozilla.com windowsupdate.microsoft.com windowsupdate.microsoft.com.local www.catalog.update.microsoft.com[/quote]

sml156, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Blocking incoming/outgoing except MS Updates? - Similar Threads - Blocking incoming outgoing

2. Is data usage statistics in windows only cover incoming data or both incoming and outgoing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is data usage statistics in windows only cover incoming data or both incoming and outgoing: just curious to know https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-data-usage-statistics-in-windows-only-cover/60769bfd-bcbc-4cad-b09c-ab4c7b074460
  3. Is data usage statistics in windows only cover incoming data or both incoming and outgoing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is data usage statistics in windows only cover incoming data or both incoming and outgoing: just curious to know https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-data-usage-statistics-in-windows-only-cover/60769bfd-bcbc-4cad-b09c-ab4c7b074460
  4. How to monitor incoming and outgoing traffic!?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to monitor incoming and outgoing traffic!?: Hello,I am newbie using windows firewall and i want to learn more.Previously i used third-party firewalls like comodo firewall and Kaspersky total security The paid version.I don't know all the functionalities about windows firewall.I am running windows 10 22h2 pro x64. I...
  5. Monitoring incoming and outgoing network traffic separately?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Monitoring incoming and outgoing network traffic separately?: Is there a tool that will tell me the total quantity of outgoing and incoming network traffic on a Windows 10 machine for each app, without lumping the incoming and outgoing traffic together, and which will count ethernet traffic as well as wireless traffic? I have noticed...
  6. How to block any incomming and outgoing ip traffic for given ip ranges with Windows 10...

How to block any incomming and outgoing ip traffic for given ip ranges with Windows 10...: Hello I want to block any tcp/ip communication between my Ii-System and some ip ranges. The reason is, that I like to use Edge, which has a google core now, and I do not want my computer system to communicate with google at all. I already wrote a program, which extracts...
  7. Block incoming connections

Block incoming connections: Hi, I have a netgear router and the router log shows it is detecting and hopefully blocking incoming connections like port scans or DoS attacks. But McAfee running on my Win10 machine shows it is also blocking connections from external computers around the world trying to...
  8. gmail is not accepting incoming only outgoing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    gmail is not accepting incoming only outgoing: We have purchased software for our new Dell Inspiron and cannot download it because the gmail account is not receiving email. I have used it to send email and that worked but I am anxious to get the incoming mail. Please help me figure out what is wrong. I prefer not to...
  9. Incoming connections blocked

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Incoming connections blocked: Hi, I am having an issue where I can connect to and access shared folders on other windows computers on the same network but when they try to access my computer(via network places, run command with the IP and with the computer name) it is giving me the error "Windows cannot...
  10. Incoming and outgoing setting

in Browsers and Email
    Incoming and outgoing setting: I hope that some one can point me in the correct direction I need incoming and outgoing server SETTING using windows live mail 2012, with windows 10. I am using windows live mail with my current internet provider, but leaving this provider and will not have a new one for a...