Windows 10: Bluetooth: Is my computer discoverable or not?

Discus and support Bluetooth: Is my computer discoverable or not? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; On my laptop under Settings>Devices>Bluetooth>Manage Bluetooth devices I have the button switched to "On". The note below the button reads, "Your PC is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by curt jugg, Nov 7, 2015.

1. curt jugg Win User

Bluetooth: Is my computer discoverable or not?

On my laptop under Settings>Devices>Bluetooth>Manage Bluetooth devices I have the button switched to "On". The note below the button reads, "Your PC is searching for and can be discovered by Bluetooth devices."

If I click on "More Bluetooth options" the Bluetooth settings dialogue box opens. Under "Discovery" there is a small box alongside which are the words, "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this PC" and below them a warning which reads, "Bluetooth devices will see the name of this PC". This box is not ticked. As it is not ticked, this would seem to mean that Bluetooth devices would not be able to discover my computer but for the fact that the earlier note says my computer can be discovered.

This looks like a contradiction to me but can anyone give me an explanation, please?

:)

curt jugg, Nov 7, 2015

2. Bluetooth connection issues windows 10!

Hey there! I have looked all through the web, but I can't find a specific answer to my issue.

I purchased a Kinovo BTD-400 Bluetooth dongle, and after plugging it into my USB port it seems to work with my computer. I went into the bluetooth settings and made my computer discoverable, and I went into my phone (a Samsung GT-s7560m) and activated bluetooth
    there and made it discoverable as well. My phone can see my computer, but when I slick to pair them it says "cannot communicate with device", and my computer isn't able to find the phone at all. Hopefully you can help!

DonovenSimpson-Elie, Nov 7, 2015
  3. ycloudie Win User
    bluetooth file transfer not completed - windows was unable to transfer some files. an address incompatible with the requested protocol was used

My bluetooth drivers are up to date. I can't change the discoverability setting of bluetooth to allow other devices to see my computer. i get the bluetooth service error message.

please help.

thank you.

ycloudie, Nov 7, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Check the box to make the PC discoverable.

spapakons, Nov 7, 2015
  5. curt jugg Win User
    Thanks for your reply, spapakons. Does that mean, then, that if I don't put a tick in the box my PC won't be discoverable even though the earlier note still says, "Your PC. is searching for and can be discovered by Bluetooth devices"?

curt jugg, Nov 9, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    No, to make it discoverable you must tick the box. The other message is probably wrong.

spapakons, Nov 9, 2015
  7. curt jugg Win User
    Thanks, spapakons. That's good to know.

curt jugg, Nov 10, 2015
  8. lbcbear Win User

YES, your computer is indeed visible to any and all Bluetooth devices. That little box makes zero difference--boggles the mind why MS put it there. So, yes, you have uncovered a strange contradiction. (Try it with your mobile phone--you WILL see your computer when it has its Bluetooth turned on under Settings, irrespective of whether you checked that little box or not.)

That said, not to worry. While your computer IS visible, the pairing process in WIN10 is a two-way process. That is, BOTH devices have to accept. So, if a device sees your computer and tries to connect, and you have checked the box "Alert me when a new device wants to connect" you will be notified of such attempt and directed to enter the access code of the device (if you tap the notification). If you do not enter the proper code, OR you do nothing (not tapping the notification, or tapping but exiting the pairing process), the pairing attempt fails. Similarly, if you never checked the notification box, the pairing attempt will fail in the background. In both cases, the device trying to connect will simply get rejected (they will get THAT rejection notification on their device).

Hope this helps.

lbcbear, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Bluetooth: Is my computer discoverable or not? - Similar Threads - Bluetooth computer discoverable

2. My JBL Bluetooth headset is no longer discoverable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My JBL Bluetooth headset is no longer discoverable: My JBL Bluetooth headset is no longer discoverable. It worked perfectly yesterday. How do I connect to the device or update it's specific bluetooth driver if I cannot discover it? Initially I could not connect to it when it was listed and the device was turned on, so I choose...
  3. bluetooth not discoverable now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bluetooth not discoverable now: Before it was my Bluetooth PAIRED but wasn't CONNECTED... Now my device isn't been discovered when I'm trying to search for it...Since unboxing this new laptop, I am experiencing such issues with the Bluetooth. It was very much easy to connect my wireless earphones to my...
  4. bluetooth not discoverable now

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bluetooth not discoverable now: Before it was my Bluetooth PAIRED but wasn't CONNECTED... Now my device isn't been discovered when I'm trying to search for it...Since unboxing this new laptop, I am experiencing such issues with the Bluetooth. It was very much easy to connect my wireless earphones to my...
  5. bluetooth not discoverable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bluetooth not discoverable: I am using msi bravo 15 with ryzen 5 and rx5500h gpu , i have tried multiple attemts to fix bluetooth not discovering nearby devices troubleshooting dosent help, the problem started when i tried installing uninstalling gpu drivers i tried to find bluetooth drivers but...
  6. bluetooth not discoverable

bluetooth not discoverable: I am using msi bravo 15 with ryzen 5 and rx5500h gpu , i have tried multiple attemts to fix bluetooth not discovering nearby devices troubleshooting dosent help, the problem started when i tried installing uninstalling gpu drivers i tried to find bluetooth drivers but...
  7. Bluetooth error "discoverable"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth error "discoverable": I am using a Bluetooth dongle to connect my speaker to the computer but I am having this error saying "That didn't work. Make sure that your Bluetooth device is discoverable then try again"What should I do?...
  8. Bluetooth error "discoverable"

Bluetooth error "discoverable": I am using a Bluetooth dongle to connect my speaker to the computer but I am having this error saying "That didn't work. Make sure that your Bluetooth device is discoverable then try again"What should I do?...
  9. Bluetooth error "discoverable"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Bluetooth Discoverability

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bluetooth Discoverability: I can't seem to get my PC to add Bluetooth headphones. when I go into settings and click on "allow Bluetooth devices to find this PC" it won't save the settings, nor does it discover the headphones after I put them in pairing mode. What do I do to get this to work?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why is my laptop not discoverable