Windows 10: Blurry Start Menu titles icons with 125% dpi

Discus and support Blurry Start Menu titles icons with 125% dpi in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After switching to 125% DPI the start menu titles become bigger (which is a nice thing) but also some weird blurring filter is applied to icons. Right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EShirou, Jun 7, 2016.

1. EShirou Win User

Blurry Start Menu titles icons with 125% dpi

After switching to 125% DPI the start menu titles become bigger (which is a nice thing) but also some weird blurring filter is applied to icons. Right away after you open start menu the icons are more sharp for 1 second then become blurry, is there any work around to change this behavior and made them more sharp? Btw. If I switch to start screen instead of menu, the titles are even more bigger (which looks really good <3) and they are less blurry than the menu ones (still a bit blurry though)

:)

EShirou, Jun 7, 2016

2. Blurry tiles on Start Screen

As said before, same problem on my SP2 - 125% dpi scaling, after nov update.

UPDATES:

1. I noticed that the same tiles that are blurry in tablet mode are
    slightly blurry also in desktop mode start menu.

2. All of this happens also on my desk mate's SP3.

On both systems, the problem disappears with 150% dpi scaling.

Fix this please!!!

MatteoColombo, Jun 7, 2016
  3. Creaulx Win User
    Windows 10 fonts are blurry and hard to read

Windows 10 DPI blurry / fuzzy text font fix - XP Explorer

Also,
    http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/9087-windows-10-dpi-awareness-issues-blurry-text-125-a.html#post306253

Solved it for me as I have a 19280 X 1080 screen and like to keep my scaling at 125% so that the text is big enough to read without squinting. Why Microsoft changed the way scaling is done in 10 as opposed to what it was in 8.1 is "not clear" to me...
    Ha. Let me know if this works.

Creaulx, Jun 7, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

I notice from your specs that you have screen resolutions set at 1280x1024. This seems an odd size to me for modern LCD monitors and may be why you are seeing some blurry effects. I would choose the default resolution for the LCD screen (assuming it is something other than 1280 x 1024) and see if it is an improvement, it might be worth trying the 100% dpi setting again as well since that also is a recommended setting.

philc43, Jun 7, 2016
  5. EShirou Win User
    This is not a modern LCD, its from 2007, its native resolution is 1280x1024, image is sharp and crystal clear, it's good LG monitor. DPI of 100% isnt recommended because everything is too bloody small.

EShirou, Jun 7, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    Thanks for clarifying the spec for your monitor.

I don't have much experience with the various dpi settings but there is another place where you can adjust the sizes. It is found by typing display in the search box and then selecting the Display control panel. Here you can set a custom scaling level.

Blurry Start Menu titles icons with 125% dpi [​IMG]

philc43, Jun 7, 2016
  7. EShirou Win User
    I know what you are talking about, that is the DPI I am using because the default scaling method on windows 10 is broken, it makes fonts blurry in some places like Device Manager etc. it has been quiet loud about this for a while and they still haven't fixed that but to my surprise if you set 125% dpi on custom scaling level then all fonts are crystal clear and you don't have to install any 3rd party tools or do registry tweaks that need to apply at every reboot to fix them.

EShirou, Jun 7, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

Interesting...

So you have crystal clear fonts but the icons themselves are just a bit fuzzy? Not sure I can help you any further as it sounds like you either have crisp icons and blurry text or crisp text and blurry icons. Did you experiment with Cleartype for the situation with blurry text?

philc43, Jun 7, 2016
  9. pjc123 Win User
    I was also having problems with blurry text (icons, device manager as was mentioned above, etc) when I set the DPI to 125% on Windows 10, which I find to be the perfect scaling for me. The following program from XPExplorer.com fixed that problem. I am using it on both my desktop and laptop and it works perfectly (It reverts to using Windows 8.1 DPI scaling).

Windows 10 DPI blurry / fuzzy text font fix - XP Explorer

pjc123, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Blurry Start Menu titles icons with 125% dpi - Similar Threads - Blurry Start Menu

2. Start menu icons sometimes blurry?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu icons sometimes blurry?: Hi everyone, I have just updated my PC to the latest Windows update which offers the Copilot preview function. I have noticed that some icons under the 'apps' list when searching on start menu are a bit blurry. The text though isn't blurry and I have the latest drivers....
  3. Start menu icons sometimes blurry?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu icons sometimes blurry?: Hi everyone, I have just updated my PC to the latest Windows update which offers the Copilot preview function. I have noticed that some icons under the 'apps' list when searching on start menu are a bit blurry. The text though isn't blurry and I have the latest drivers....
  4. blurry on 125% scaling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    blurry on 125% scaling: HeyWhen im on my native resolution the apps and texts are too small. When i change to 125% scaling the text and apps are perfect size but it's blurry, any help please?I have tried a resolution lower but its blurry aswell...
  5. blurry on 125% scaling

blurry on 125% scaling: HeyWhen im on my native resolution the apps and texts are too small. When i change to 125% scaling the text and apps are perfect size but it's blurry, any help please?I have tried a resolution lower but its blurry aswell...
  6. 125% scaling blurry icons on taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    125% scaling blurry icons on taskbar: Hello. I have an issue with icons on taskbar, when I launch some games with low resolution, after that the icons on taskbar looks very blurry. I have toggled "Let Windows try to fix app so they're not blurry", tried change DPI settings in compatibility section, didn't help....
  7. 125% scaling blurry icons on taskbar

125% scaling blurry icons on taskbar: Hello. I have an issue with icons on taskbar, when I launch some games with low resolution, after that the icons on taskbar looks very blurry. I have toggled "Let Windows try to fix app so they're not blurry", tried change DPI settings in compatibility section, didn't help....
  8. 125% scaling blurry icons on taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Kaspersky icon is Blurry on 125% Scale

in Windows 10 Customization
    Kaspersky icon is Blurry on 125% Scale: Hello, So I have installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 (latest update) on my system running Windows 10 X64. I always change my Monitor Scale to 125% , after the scaling the icon looks awful. But when Kaspersky is scanning something (animation icon) - the icon looks...
  10. Windows 10 DPI-Awareness issues, blurry text 125%

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 DPI-Awareness issues, blurry text 125%: Hi, I don't know if it has been asked before but I have had issues that I can reproduce on both my laptop and desktop, with DPI scaling. Applications like Device Manager would scale fine in 8.1, but in 10 the text is stretched. At 125% the text is blurry, and at 200% it...