Windows 10: bogus Folder In Use error messages - blocks me from moving or renaming

Discus and support bogus Folder In Use error messages - blocks me from moving or renaming in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently (the last week?) I have been getting bogus error messages like this one when I want to move a file or folder or rename a folder: The only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by x509, Mar 15, 2018.

1. x509 Win User

bogus Folder In Use error messages - blocks me from moving or renaming

Recently (the last week?) I have been getting bogus error messages like this one when I want to move a file or folder or rename a folder:

The only way to get rid of these messages, and to do the folder move or rename, has been to reboot the system.

What is going on here? Is this a new bug? (My system is always up to date with MS patches. Running Win 10 Pro 64.)
    Is there a workaround?

bogus Folder In Use error messages - blocks me from moving or renaming [​IMG]

:)

2. Error 0x80070057 Windows 10

When trying to move contents of a folder to another folder, get this message: "Error 0x80070057: This parameter is incorrect." Would also work to rename the folder, but windows won't let me do that.

armoncooper, Mar 15, 2018
  3. Amma904 Win User
    Windows 10 Home - "Unauthorized changes blocked"

I'm using Windows 10 x64 Home on an HP laptop - Suddenly, I can no longer download photos from my SD card using the port on my laptop and my Photoshop Elements 15 - I get the following messages:

Unauthorized changes blocked

Controlled Folder Access blocked C:\...\PhotoDownloader...from making changes to the folder %userprofil...\$test$

Or:

Unauthorized changes blocked

Controlled Folder Access blocked C:\...\PhotoshopElement...from making changes to the folder %userprofile%\Documents

I want to use Photoshop in order to rename each photo as I download and I'm afraid this is completely blocking my use of Photoshop at all

I'm not computer literate so any help you can give needs to be in detailed, step by step format.

Thank you for any help you can offer

<Moved from Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage>

Amma904, Mar 15, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Are you sure it's bogus? Could you have an app running in the background that's using a Form you have created?

5. x509 Win User
    Quite sure. For example I open and then CLOSE a PDF. But Windows acts like that PDF is still open. Same for Word docs, Excel, etc.

The reason I think these warnings are bogus is that I'm working the same way I always have, and until last week (?) I got these messages only when a file was truly open.

6. SoFine409 Win User
    Happens to me on ocassion. Just close all you apps and restart windows then immediately go do your moving of renaming.

SoFine409, Mar 15, 2018
  7. Mystere Win User
    First, it's not bogus. If you can't delete the files, it's because there's a lock on those files.

At least assuming that by "bogus" you mean "not real". The lock is real. The question is why are the files locked.

One possibility is your anti-virus. Sometimes the act of click on a file in explorer will trigger an antivirus scan of it, and then deleting it doesn't work because it's In the middle of a scan.

Have you tried deleting the files in a command prompt without using explorer at all?

Another option is that some device drivers can leak file handle locks.

The real situation is finding the lock, and there are some tools that can be useful in finding that information, such as process explorer and TaskInfo.

Mystere, Mar 15, 2018
  8. ozradar Win User

ozradar, Mar 15, 2018
  9. x509 Win User
    Sounds like the problem that I'm having, except that a reboot clears out the blocks.

It also seems that blocks get put on files that I haven't even opened, because I opened a different file of the same type, e.g. PDF. I'm not 100% certain of this, because I was working fast to get something done when this occurred.

10. pepanee Win User
    pepanee, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. bogus Folder In Use error messages - blocks me from moving or renaming - Similar Threads - bogus Folder error

2. Bogus ? Messages from MS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bogus ? Messages from MS: I'm getting multiple messages claiming to be from MS, and asking me to visit "https://aka.ms/alca" - how can I verify whether or not this is a valid MS request? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bogus-messages-from-ms/61f7b90a-8c45-469c-beaf-d84187ed6cc9
  3. Renaming, Deleting, Moving Folder Slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming, Deleting, Moving Folder Slow: Hi I've been having a problem with a delay Renaming, Deleting, Moving folder which takes at least about 12 seconds this does not happen for files only for the folder. Also if I log into administrator profile and then do Renaming, Deleting, Moving of a folder it works...
  4. bogus widows message locking up computer-how to block

bogus widows message locking up computer-how to block: This happens every once in a while- very annoying as I have to use task manger to make it disappear- but it comes back the next time I try to use internet or I can clear it with Malwarebytes. Is there any way to block these guys? Thanks Cal...
  5. Bogus Microsoft messages

Bogus Microsoft messages: Why cannot/does not Windows "DEFENDER" prevent the frequent messages that appear on this computer stating that Microsoft has detected a malfunction and we need to contact the support phone number given immediately. The whole thing almost looks genuine and must fool lots of...
  6. Renaming and moving folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming and moving folders: When, if ever, is Microsoft going to fix the highly annoying problem that prevents folders from being moved or renamed? This has existed for some times and all kinds of "fixes" can be found on the Web but none of them work. The only fix is to do it with the Run Command, but...
  7. Bogus message or valid?

Bogus message or valid?: Do I need to renew Microsoft Office? Subject:Reminder To Renew Your Office !! From:*** Email address is removed for privacy *** To:*** Email address is removed for privacy *** Date:Saturday, July 7, 2018, 9:41:51 AM PDT [IMG] Dear Sir/Ma'am Renew your Microsoft Office...
  8. Can't move or rename folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't move or rename folders: When I try to move or rename a folder I get Can't find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name. It seems that right-clicking would tell windows where the folder is. When I make a new folder it comes as Folder 1, Folder 2 etc. When I...
  9. Cannot delete, move, rename folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete, move, rename folder: Hello, I am having issues with a folder which I would like to delete. However, whenever I try to do that I am told I need admin access in order to do so. Problem is, I am the admin and if I go to Properties and in the Security tab, I am not allowed to do any changes and...
  10. Can't rename or move folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't rename or move folders: Hello, After installing KB3124200 & KB3116900 updates, I'm no longer able to rename or move folders. When I try, it gives the error "Can't find the specified file". I have done sfc /scannow but it didn't help. Also, I have run default file associations registry files...