Windows 10: Boot and System ended up on different hard drives!!! Help!

Discus and support Boot and System ended up on different hard drives!!! Help! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have two hard drives (C: and E*Smile. Normally I have windows 10 installed on C: and just my documents on E: drive. I had to reinstall windows.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KiwiNZ, Feb 23, 2016.

1. KiwiNZ Win User

Boot and System ended up on different hard drives!!! Help!

I have two hard drives (C: and E*Smile. Normally I have windows 10 installed on C: and just my documents on E: drive.

I had to reinstall windows. The reinstall put the Boot on C: and the System on E: drive. (See image.)

Is there any way of putting the system back on C: drive? (I didn't want to reformat both drives and reinstall windows again if I can avoid it.) *Sad

Boot and System ended up on different hard drives!!! Help! [​IMG]

:)

KiwiNZ, Feb 23, 2016

2. Windows 10 Automatic Startup Repair Loop

It could be a failing hard drive. Multiple boot errors, system refusing to load, the inability to find the hard drive sounds like the drive is only partially working and faulting at different points
    of start up which cause the pc to stop booting.

logarajsivasamy, Feb 23, 2016
  3. ROBERT530 Win User
    how to copy one bootable windows system to a new hard drive and make the new drive bootable in windows 10

NO !!! Windows 10 will not copy system drive onto another fresh clean hard drive..

did this 11 times and give up used 5 different programs. amoei backupper for one

windows 10 pro upon boot up after copying onto a fresh hard drive during boot up

windows says " inaccessible boot device" windows will restart

every time got this same message

there was no boot device i can't get windows to copy the boot device to the new hard drive.

all i wanted to do was copy from 1 system drive to a formatted fresh clean hard drive

windows system boot drive typically drive c onto a fresh clean hard drive.

windows WON'T DO IT.. kept saying " inaccessible boot device"

GUESS i'm too OLD to know how to do this or i'm just technologically STUPID.........

hard drive is mbr

amoei was only a trial it will not clone in a trial basis to do what i want you had to buy it

acronis true image 2015 will not restore the boot in windows even when it was a direct restore

from the original windows operating system..

ROBERT530, Feb 23, 2016
  4. heroleo Win User

1. Format your F: drive
    2. Run Windows Command Prompt (cmd.exe) as Administrator, then run the command below to configure the booting on F:
    bcdboot C:\Windows /s F:
    3. Reboot the PC, change BIOS to boot from the disk 0

More infomation about bcdboot: BCDboot Command-Line Options

heroleo, Feb 23, 2016
  5. KiwiNZ Win User
    Thanks. I think this will create another boot record.

I wanted System on C: drive (NOT D: drive).

KiwiNZ, Feb 23, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Rebuilding boot sectors on first drive is easy enough. Getting boot sectors off E drive is a bit tricky. Easiest way is to back up E drive data, format it and copy data back. This is not the fastest way but is the safest way.

Ok what you need to do is

1) install Macrium Reflect Free, and create a bootable Macrium Rescue usb drive or dvd.
    Alternatively use the WinPE Rescue drive in Software and Apps Section which has Macrium already installed.

2) copy all data files on hdd you want to keep to an external drive, or temporarily to C drive, as you have enough space (create a subdirectory eg Edrive). This will take a while as a lot of data.

3) Disconnect HDD.

4) Boot from Macrium drive, select restore tab, and click "fix windows boot problems", then it should list your C drive. If not, stop and come back for more advice.

5) Then click next, finish and boot sectors will be rebuilt.

6) Boot pc and check it is booting ok.

7) Reconnect HDD, and go to bios and check pc is set to boot from SSD

8) You can now format HDD, and then copy data back from C drive.

9) If System Reserved Partiopn still shows up with a drive letter, remove drive letter from Disk Management.

cereberus, Feb 23, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Install EasyBCD:
    EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

Move boot (system) files to C: partition:
    Changing the Boot Partition

Make sure and read the note at the bottom of that procedure.

Remove the active tag from the E: drive partition:
    Open a "run as administrator" command prompt. Type:
    Diskpart
    Select Disk 1
    Select Part 1
    Inactive

You will still have boot files remaining on E: drive, but they will not be used for anything and you can manually delete them.

Really, though, the boot ("system") files should be on F:, not C:. But in your OP you stated you wanted them on C: drive.

NavyLCDR, Feb 23, 2016
  8. KiwiNZ Win User

It worked. Thanks.

The only headache was getting Windows to recognize the second hard drive when I plugged it in. "BIOS" recognized it but DISKMGMT.msc wouldn't! All of a sudden after an hour or two fiddling, E: suddenly appeared without System status. Yippee!

PS I used the Window's system image app for the backups.

KiwiNZ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Boot and System ended up on different hard drives!!! Help! - Similar Threads - Boot System ended

2. I need help with FULL Hard Drive - Space ending

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help with FULL Hard Drive - Space ending: I hate to beat this over your head, but I need help. I used the TREEsize software to find out where most of my storage spaced was used. And I have no clue. It says USER folder has the most used space, but when I went to the USER folder, the files are all Windows related and I...
  3. I need help with FULL Hard Drive - Space ending

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need help with FULL Hard Drive - Space ending: I hate to beat this over your head, but I need help. I used the TREEsize software to find out where most of my storage spaced was used. And I have no clue. It says USER folder has the most used space, but when I went to the USER folder, the files are all Windows related and I...
  4. Imminent hard drive failure on boot up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Imminent hard drive failure on boot up: I have been getting a "imminent hard drive failure for the better part of a year every time my PC boots up. I ran Chkdisk and found no errors but I went and got an SSD and did a clean install of Windows10 on it. I have a 2 TB external hard drive that has been running back...
  5. Imminent hard drive failure on boot up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Imminent hard drive failure on boot up: I have been getting a "imminent hard drive failure for the better part of a year every time my PC boots up. I ran Chkdisk and found no errors but I went and got an SSD and did a clean install of Windows10 on it. I have a 2 TB external hard drive that has been running back...
  6. Win10 Dual Boot Different Hard Drives?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 Dual Boot Different Hard Drives?: Hi all, I have two seperate SSDs and I would like to install two seperate win10 for dual boot. I do not want to parition part of one hard drive and have both windows on one ssd. Ive tried searching but can only find articles on dual boot seperate ssd with Windows and linux....
  7. Windows 10 operating system & boot drive on different drives...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 operating system & boot drive on different drives...: Windows keeps installing boot drive and operating system onto different drives... Is there any way of installing boot and operating system onto one hard drive without disconnecting all the other hard drives internally? What are the pro's and con's of this configuration?...
  8. Never ending boot up.... Please, please help

in Windows 10 Support
    Never ending boot up.... Please, please help: Okay so recently I decided to reset my computer, as usual I encounter numerous problems. >Startup >Bios screen (Asus/Intel) >Monitor turns off >Monitor turns back on >Blue win10 logo and loading circle >Black screen for 5-10 secs >Install screen displaying 64%...
  9. Windows Boot Manager issue with Dual Boot on different Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Boot Manager issue with Dual Boot on different Hard Drives: Issue: after installing Windows 10 UEFI on Hard drive, I can't boot anymore on Windows 7 UEFI (SSD). My main system, W7 UEFI, is on a SSD. I would like to have a backup system on a different drive (HD) in case my SSD fails so I can be up and running without losing any...
  10. System/Boot files on different drives

in Windows 10 Support
    System/Boot files on different drives: New to these forums and hoping someone can help with my issue. I have a homebuilt machine that had Win7 ultimate running on a 150GB HDD. I cloned it some time ago to a 500 GB HDD. Then I changed to Win10 Pro (first upgraded to Win8 and then immediately to Win10) and all...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. boot and system ended up on different hard drives windows 10