Windows 10: \Boot\BCD Error Code 0xc0000034

Discus and support \Boot\BCD Error Code 0xc0000034 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, and thanks in advance for your help. I am using a Lenovo Ideapad 310-15ISK (model name 80SM) running Windows 10. I am receiving an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Amycaek, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Amycaek Win User

\Boot\BCD Error Code 0xc0000034

Hi there, and thanks in advance for your help.

I am using a Lenovo Ideapad 310-15ISK (model name 80SM) running Windows 10.

I am receiving an error on boot 'Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
    Error code: 0xc0000034'

I hadn't made an image backup of Windows 10 on this device before this error but I have used a family members HP PC to create a USB image of windows 10. I am not sure what my next step is after making this backup to restore the file, and I'm not well versed in windows repair.

Many thanks,
    Amy

:)

Amycaek, Apr 28, 2017

2. Windows 10 \Boot\BCD with error code 0xc0000034 on UEFI machine

There are several other similar entries about this boot issue, but this one has the whole story and some helpful tidbits. This is based on two similar personal experiences.

Windows 10 machine, up to date as of May 18, 2017. Since a recent Microsoft update, the machine stopped fully shutting down no matter how long you waited (lots of people having this issue). No other software changes. Ran "sfc /scannow" and no issues. Googled
    and one of the answers in that regard was to go under "Power Options", "Choose what the power button does", "Change settings that are currently unavailable", and uncheck "Turn on fast startup". Sure enough, clicking "Start", "Power", "Shutdown", and it now
    fully shuts down. Yai!

However, one or two boots later, it refused to boot and we got the dreaded blue screen "File: \Boot\BCD with error code 0xc0000034" error. Googled it, and we made a bootable system repair CD on another computer. We had to go into the BIOS and switch to legacy
    boot mode to boot the CD. Running the startup repair option just said that it failed, that it could not repair the computer. No explanation (ugh). So we Googled some more and executed the advanced "Bootrec /fixmbr" type commands. All executed without any issues.
    Restarted, still got the same error 34. No explanation. So I then made a bootable USB recovery drive key on another machine, switched back to UEFI boot and booted the USB key. I then ran the Startup repair, which now ran successfully. This time the machine
    booted up fine (although slower because the fast boot option is now turned off).

I have seen this on two computers now.

So my words of wisdom are:

- Be careful around the "fast startup option". Yes it fixes Windows not shutting down, but changing it is likely to trigger Windows not booting, which is probably worse.

- Make sure you have a bootable USB recovery disk! I was lucky in having another computer with the same architecture and UEFI settings. I used an 8 GB USB key and in Windows 10 click Start, type "Create Recovery Drive", and use that to make a bootable UEFI
    USB key. Uncheck "Back up system files to the recovery drive" because then the creation fails without any details (ugh). You may need one for each computer ideally because they may not all be 64 bit UEFI. But have at least one. No, a CD does not work so well
    anymore.

- Also, create a system image disk in Windows 10 once in a while. Click Start, type Backup and choose "Back and Restore (Windows 7)". Why? Because you can never have enough backups and the day your computer does not boot or you need to restore a backup, it
    is never that easy.

- On older computers consider Linux Mint.

Ben_userdn, Apr 28, 2017
  3. Windows 10 \Boot\BCD with error code 0xc0000034 on UEFI machine

I have recently made recovery USB drives on other machines, you need a 16 GB USB key if you also want to back up system files.

Ben_userdn, Apr 28, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

You might want to try booting to a repair/recovery disk for your version of Windows 10. This is nicely covered in the TenForums tutorial entitled "Run Startup Repair in Windows 10". For many, but not all, forms of BCD pathology, this will fix things automatically. You have nothing to lose by trying and it may fix your problems. If not, report back here and we'll put out some heavier artillery!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 28, 2017
  5. cedifra Win User
    Oh man, same happened to me a few days ago. I actually wrote a small blog-post about it. Here it is:Recovery - Your PC needs to be repaired

2017-04-28
    After restarting my PC this morning, I was greeted by a blue screen, telling me, that my boot configuration was missing or contained an error. I was shocked. I had not encountered this error message before and was not quite sure what to make of it.
    Looks worse than it is

Was my hard-drive broken? Did I loose all my code? How much work did I loose? How much was on my git? And why oh why did I not set up my NAS server as planned. All these elaborate plans on how to manage my data backups... and I never had the time.
    I instantly picked up my phone and did some research. First off: Most likely, all your data is fine and it won't be too much of a hassle to fix this and get you back on track.
    How to fix it

Luckily for us, this is very straight forward process. Simply follow the 14 steps below.
    Step 1

You will need your Windows installation media to take care of this. This might be a DVD or USB-Stick. If you do not have your Windows installation media ready, simply visit Microsoft's website and download it.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows8
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7
    Step 2

Once you have your DVD or USB-Stick ready, connect it to your troubled system and reboot. I had to press F11 while rebooting. Some people may have to press F12 to bring up the boot menu. If in doubt, simply google the right key for your make or model.
    Step 3

Booting from your Windows installation media should bring up the Windows Setup. You may need to choose your language and keyboard settings before clicking on Next.
    Step 4

Instead of clicking on Install Now, you should find and click on the Repair your computer button in the left lower corner.
    Step 5

Choose the option called Troubleshoot.
    Step 6

Select the option Advanced options.
    Step 7

Click on Command Prompt.
    Step 8

Now type Bootrec /fixmbr and press the Enter key.
    Step 9

Next up you will need to type Bootrec /fixboot and press Enter again.
    Step 10

Type Bootrec /scanos , press Enter.
    Step 11

One last time, type Bootrec /rebuildcbd and press Enter.
    Step 12

Type A and hit Enter.
    Step 13

Close the command prompt by clicking on the X button.
    Step 14

Click on Continue and the system should boot up again.
    What did I learn?

Blue screens scare the sh*t out of me. Luckily, this time, it was a simple fix and I got away easy. What did I learn? Backups are important and setting up my NAS server just jumped to the top of my TODO-list.

(Source: http://www.cedricfjacob.com/viewpost...e-repaired-fix)

cedifra, Apr 30, 2017
  6. EdTittel Win User
    This would be one of the repair maneuvers I would provide as "heavier artillery" for the boot problems the OP described. It's possible that simply using the Startup Repair facility would do the trick. But this is certainly another option, as is the boot repair tool from Macrium (which would have been my next step in the chain of possibilities that lead to the command line BCD and boot repairs described in the preceding post).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. \Boot\BCD Error Code 0xc0000034 - Similar Threads - BootBCD Error Code

2. Error code on my window 0xc0000034

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error code on my window 0xc0000034: I was trying to get rid of this code and tryin to boot my computer using command prompt but get stuck with this nowIts not letting me do anything further than thatIf anybody knows what to do next...
  3. Error code on my window 0xc0000034

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error code on my window 0xc0000034: I was trying to get rid of this code and tryin to boot my computer using command prompt but get stuck with this nowIts not letting me do anything further than thatIf anybody knows what to do next...
  4. Fix the boot for error code 0xc0000034

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fix the boot for error code 0xc0000034: Hello microsoft support. I once had an error for error code 0xc0000034. It read as follows: --FORM-- Recovery Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. An unknown error occurred. I will only list that much, so, I had it reading "An Unknown Error Occurred." I booted into...
  5. Error code 0xc0000034 with Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error code 0xc0000034 with Windows 10: My windows 10 is getting an error code that says file is missing some information and it gives ne an error message 0xc0000034 file BCD is missing some files or is corrupt so I've tried to rebuild my BCD file by typing in Bootrec / FixMbr and press enter all goes ok with this...
  6. Error 0xc0000034 Help

Error 0xc0000034 Help: Hi Today just found out I had blue screen with an error dont know exactly what caused it . Yesterday I was tweaking with timing seeting putting it in different language and then putting it back in English. For some reason yesterday I couldn't shutdown my computer I was...
  7. Error code 0xc0000034

Error code 0xc0000034: I recently discovered a corruption in my windows so decided to do a clean install, I started to do the reset but have ran into several problems along the way and my computer is now stuck in recovery with this code. I have downloaded the media creation tools and put it on a...
  8. windows 10 error 0xc0000034

windows 10 error 0xc0000034: Hello, I get an error like this link, trying to solve the problem by what is written there. And gets this screen, no matter what I choose (yes / no / all).[ATTACH] What can I do (not format)?...
  9. BSOD Error Code 0xc0000034 and compatibility issue with USB boot

BSOD Error Code 0xc0000034 and compatibility issue with USB boot: The other night, my Dell Latitude 2120 netbook froze, so I forced it to shut down. When I started it up again, I got the BSOD. I upgraded it many months ago from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The BSOD says: Your PC/Device needs to be repaired The boot configuration data file...
  10. BSOD Error Code 0xc0000034 File:\EF\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

BSOD Error Code 0xc0000034 File:\EF\Microsoft\Boot\BCD: Hi all! I have a W101 V2 RCA 10 inch tablet. After installing webcam drivers from RCA customer service, a few reboots later I recieved a BSOD that included the message "Press Windows key for UEFI Firmware settings." And also, File:\EF\Microsoft\Boot\BCD Error Code...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Dell latitude 5290 error code: 0xc0000034