Windows 10: Boot Defrag Reboot Failure

Discus and support Boot Defrag Reboot Failure in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Once a week, the system does a 5 seconds or so Boot Defrag. No big deal but ............. One of the items shown is C:/EFI/Microsoft/Boot ......... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by elbmek, Oct 13, 2016.

1. elbmek Win User

Boot Defrag Reboot Failure

Once a week, the system does a 5 seconds or so Boot Defrag. No big deal but .............

One of the items shown is C:/EFI/Microsoft/Boot ...... defragged , system will now restart and it doesn't.
    Reboot does it though.

I had a look for that folder in file explorer showing hidden files and it does not show.

What exactly is it - ideas?

:)

elbmek, Oct 13, 2016
  2. EdZebus Win User

Windows 10 Boot Failure

Did some clean up and defrag and then ran latest window update. Reboot went fine. Next reboot failed.

Boot starts by showing windows blue logo with circle running...then screen switches to blank with circle running...then goes blank

Auto repair tool fails; sfc scannow verifies and says "windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation"

bootrec /fix boot & bootrec /fix mbr completed successfully.

dism /image:c:\offline /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:c: \test\mount\windows returns error 2 "unable to access the image"

Restore to and earlier date: fails with error 0x80070091---says disc failure.

Chkdisc on both C: and D: finds no problems.

Boot to "Safe Mode" from recovery center fails

Is my only option to reinstall win10 and lose all the applications?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

EdZebus, Oct 13, 2016
  3. AlexDstn Win User
    Random reboots and boot failure

Hello, first time poster here.

For the past weeks I started experiencing weird behaviour of my PC. It seems to randomly restart and enter Bios with a message "Boot failure" with no extra information, just prompting me to optimize settings or enter bios.

As far as I know reboots only happened when I was browsing internet, most often when watching Youtube. I tried a different browser (I usually use Chrome) but the problem persists. It does not seem to follow a pattern, sometimes I can have a podcast running
    for 2+ hours, sometimes it reboots a minute into a video.

It never seems to do that when I'm playing a game or using Photoshop or Premiere, even when I render projects.

Should I be concerned? Is it possibly a software problem?

I can post DxDiag if it's needed.

AlexDstn, Oct 13, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

Your computer is probably set to Safe Boot in the Bios, which will not let you boot from a non-UEFI device or file to keep viruses from taking over.
    Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Security tab and look for SafeBoot, Disable it or change it to Setup Mode. You may also need to change UEFI Bios to Legacy Boot to do a one time Boot Defrag.

spunk, Oct 13, 2016
  5. elbmek Win User
    cheers ace, will check it out.

Went into Bios which tells me its an ASUS UEFI Boot went into security but all that is in there is admin passwords. Had a look around and through ther boot tab, but nothing to say safe mode or otherwise so did not tweak anything. All very posh and full of info, nothing of any good to me as I dont understand a word !!!! *Confused

elbmek, Oct 13, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    Are you sure it was C:\EFI ? that would indicate you have an MBR Disk I believe or a non UEFI install of Win10. eg if you upgraded from Win7.

Normally there is an EFI Partition on a GPT Disk setup under UEFI

I have never seen my system do the scheduled Optimise or Defrag , infact I am not sure it even does it though it is scheduled for it weekly...

You could install Minitool Partition Wizard 9 ( MTPW) which is free and have a look at the Partitions etc that you do have and post s pic with Windows Snipping Tool if you have questions about it. If you RC a folder or Partition in MTPW you can "explore" and see what's in them even if Windows won't show you.

KB.

Kbird, Oct 14, 2016
  7. Kbird Win User
    Not sure what you mean sorry....

Kbird, Oct 16, 2016
  8. elbmek Win User

elbmek, Oct 16, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    Oh ok a SSHD that I do know about , but it should not effect your Boot as the SSD part is only used as Cache for the HDD , similar to how I accelerate my RAID array on my other system with an old 60GB SSD , the system does not see the SSD there either.

KB

Kbird, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Boot Defrag Reboot Failure - Similar Threads - Boot Defrag Reboot

2. Boot failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot failure: Hello Microsoft communityI have been facing issues with the startup, it doesn’t start upLaptop: Alienware 17 R5 i7 1. It’s also not going into auto repair modeI have added screenshotsPlease help in fixing this issuesThanks...
  3. Booting failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting failure: My PC was booting and brings black with curser and i gave someone to fix for me but he changed active partition and other things which i'm not familiar with and now it wont boot and it only opens into boot menu Please can you me to get solution also if the solution will need...
  4. PC reboot failure

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC reboot failure: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Grubi03 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kjcrpt/pc_reboot_failure/
  5. Critical failure and reboots

Critical failure and reboots: Hi! My PC specs below is 13 months old and has been plagued with BSOD siting kernel errors. I took it to the Geek Squad and ended up getting a new mobo. Unfortunately, it has not fixed the errors. Several times a day, I am getting crashes - sometimes blue screen, sometimes...
  6. Boot Failure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot Failure: Hi i have been having a boot failure at startup and a message saying to install disk to repair the problem. but i lost my installation disk a while back . I think i had ordered a copy of my instillation disk but i cant remember where it was from. If anyone can offer some...
  7. Reboot failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reboot failure: I cannot get my older laptop to reboot. Upon reboot I get the following message: The operating system did not shut down cleanly. Reconstructing Cache Metadate. Please do not interrupt this process. Eventually I get the rotating dots and it adds: Preparing Automatic...
  8. Disk Defragment Always Runs at boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk Defragment Always Runs at boot: I'm running windows 10. I am having issues with my disk drive usage being 100%, particularly at boot. One of the culprits is the Disk Defragment. I opened "Defragment and Optimize Drives" and I set a schedule for weekly but have since found that it still runs every time I...
  9. Boot failure

Boot failure: Windows 10. After overnight shutdown PC won't boot. Monitor blank. No POST. After several minutes switch off and try again. Boot success on second or third attempt. Event viewer shows "unexpected shutdown"...
  10. Boot failure

Boot failure: I noticed that some viruses and trojans had infected my Windows 10 pro desktop. Therefore I tried uninstalling those trojans from control panel>uninstall a program. After that when I rebooted my desktop, the windows boot screen appeared and after that instead of taking me to...