Windows 10: Boot Device Not Found + Problem with Reflect restore attempt

Discus and support Boot Device Not Found + Problem with Reflect restore attempt in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; You all likely know this already, but-- When I ran Dban to wipe the drive, the Start command of F10 along the bottom of the screen had no effect.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by markg2, Apr 5, 2018.

1. markg2 Win User

Boot Device Not Found + Problem with Reflect restore attempt

You all likely know this already, but--

When I ran Dban to wipe the drive, the Start command of F10 along the bottom of the screen had no effect. The program just sat there.

Fn + F10 worked (after staring at the screen for several minutes pissed ;-)

Mark

markg2, Apr 5, 2018
  2. markg2 Win User

'Device not found on boot'. Recovery USB auto fix startup doesn't fix.

I ran the Dell hardware diagnostic from the BIOS. It does indicate a drive problem. At the moment I'm assuming that that's not the boot problem. Restoring an earlier Reflect image should either fix the problem or confirm it's the drive if the image fails to boot up.

That's the second problem. I load Reflect from the Reflect recovery USB. But something's not right. I've restored Reflect before and this process is not following the script.

The first Reflect photo is the screen once I've directed Reflect to the external drive with saved images.

I click Restore Image.

The second screen is the result and this is where something isn't working correctly. There is no button/link to commence/confirm the restore process. The only available action is to Copy Selected Partitions. I've clicked the box at the top left that selects all partitions, clicked copy and nothing happens. I've let it sit for hours to confirm nothing happens.

???

Mark

:)

markg2, Apr 24, 2018
  3. Wolfles Win User
    Window 10 will not boot up no matter what I do.

Okay thank you for your help, I managed to restore my pc with a fresh copy of Windows and backed it up with macrium reflect, should be fine to attempt to install Linux again.

Also thanks to saltgrass and Frederik for their help as well Boot Device Not Found + Problem with Reflect restore attempt :)

Wolfles, Apr 24, 2018
  4. Boot Device Not Found + Problem with Reflect restore attempt

windows 10 installation fails "pagefault_in_non-paged_area" pssnap.sys

Unfortunately I took the advice of removing pssnap.sys (actually I renamed it) and then my computer would not boot. I got a BSOD with inaccessible boot device. Macrium Reflect was not installed. After restoring pssnap.sys it booted fine. I installed
    the latest free version of Macrium Reflect then uninstalled it. However that did not remove pssnap.sys. I am currently trying the install (for the 4th time) with only one 2GB memory card (I removed one 2GB card). Removing 2GB forced a reactivation of Windows.
    Will report back on the success or failure of this Windows 10 upgrade attempt.

The upgrade succeeded FINALLY! Memory and sound card put back into the system with no problems.

Dexter Robinson, Apr 24, 2018
  5. topgundcp Win User
    I suspect that something is wrong with your C: drive. Boot up the Macrium disk again, once booted, click on the bottom left Command Icon then run:
    chkdsk /f C:

topgundcp, Apr 24, 2018
  6. markg2 Win User
    The result--
    9211 large file records processed
    1920 bad file records processed

Stage 2 An unspecified error occurred (address) failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50

I then ran chkdsk with the /r and /v switches. It appears chkdsk went further than previously but still had the same error message.

No boot, no Reflect

The Reflect restore screen now shows 1- and 2- as unformatted in addition to 3- that initially indicated and 4- still shows as NTFS Primary.

Is the drive shot? I think I installed the SSD ~7 months ago. If it's not a hardware problem but a logical mess, is there a util that I can use to get to the c: prompt, reformat the drive then restore?

Mark

markg2, Apr 24, 2018
  7. It is definitely the hard drive has failed. The boot device error and chkdsk confirm that.

cflusflwfl, Apr 24, 2018
  8. spunk Win User

The Diagnostic DST error message in the pic in Post#1 show that the HDD has failed and needs to be replaced

spunk, Apr 24, 2018
  9. Clintlgm Win User
    Yes this SSD has failed, just curious what brand and model, its rare for any SSD to fail, The symptoms you describe are pretty much the same as a spinner failing. again just curious I have several SSD running that are 5 and 6 years old now looking for clues for the signs of them crashing

Clintlgm, Apr 24, 2018
  10. topgundcp Win User
    Here's the last chance.
    Boot up the Mac rescue disk again, click on Command Icon and type:

diskpart
    select disk 0 ====> Assume your C drive is Disk 0, else change the disk #
    clean
    exit
    exit

If succeed. Back to Macrium screen, click on Boot tab->Refresh then click on Restore tab to see if you can restore.
    If not, replace the Disk.

topgundcp, Apr 24, 2018
  11. zbook New Member
    The short test error code is partially obstructed.
    Please post the full error code.

zbook, Apr 25, 2018
  12. markg2 Win User
    I purchased 2 Crucial SSD's within a month of each other (this past June/July). 1 for my backup laptop, a Lenovo T61 and the other in an attempt to make my wife's laptop usable (slow). They were both essentially the same Micron SSD product. The one for my wife (below) was direct from Crucial allowing their web tool to determine compatibility.
    CT8479547 CT275MX300SSD1.PK01 UPGRADE FOR A DELL INSPIRON 15 (7537) SYSTEM

The 'spot' partially covering the short test error code is a reflection. I'll go downstairs in a while, rerun the test and image the screen with the flash off. I'll also try the command line suggestion after I run the drive test.

I've reviewed the Crucial warranty/return policy. If all drive manufacturers are similar, what a PITA. You've have to return the drive in the original packaging with the anti-static sleeve--Really? After 8 months I'm supposed to keep original packaging for all purchases? Then they test the thing and if it fails they'll send back a refurbished. I'm guessing the total time frame is at least 3 weeks. I guess they figure that's enough to kill off 1/2 of their returns.

Since Connie can't stand the 'machined' Dell keyboard, I'm inclined to get her a new Lenovo (the only machines we've bought since 1998--her Dell a result of a consultant's choice when I out of commission for a few weeks and couldn't spend the time to determine 'her' best Lenovo) and keep the Dell with the anticipated refurbished drive as a 'turned off' backup.

I'll be back with the requested info.

Mark

markg2, Apr 25, 2018
  13. markg2 Win User

I performed the diskpart clean 0. After several seconds the cursor returned to the prompt with no message either + or -. When I attempted Reflect, I got the same 'copy' screen after clicking restore but this time the bottom screen representing the current drive was empty.

The drive error is 2000-0142 which, according to an earlier Dell forum post, is a shot drive.

Per my previous post, getting her a Lenovo that's a step or so better than an equivalent Dell Inspiron 15, 7537 and retiring the current Dell with a warranty reconditioned SSD seems most likely.

Mark

markg2, Apr 25, 2018
  14. markg2 Win User
    FYI--

Per Crucial:
    "The part you are returning, part number CT275MX300SSD1, is no longer being produced. We are replacing this with the newer 250GB MX500"

markg2, Apr 25, 2018
  15. Clintlgm Win User
    Well that answered my question I'll continue to use Samsung SSD's

Clintlgm, Apr 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Boot Device Not Found + Problem with Reflect restore attempt - Similar Threads - Boot Device Found

2. Boot Device Not Found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot Device Not Found: Boot Device Not Found?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E9%9B%BB%E8%85%A6%E7%B6%93%E5%B8%B8%E9%A1%AF/729fd005-9d91-465e-98d7-3c55754bffbf
  3. Boot device not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot device not found: Blue screen error displayed saying"critical process died" and then after restarting severally and changing boot settings it still could not boot windows.After, l took ssd and try to load using another pc but its size could only be read but contents could not....
  4. boot device not found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    boot device not found: Hi! So my sister's laptop has a bought Windows 10 pro and I updated it to windows 11 but after i few months without turning it off the laptop showed the blue screen thing and it said restarting your laptop but after that it says boot device not found. i tried restarting my...
  5. no boot device found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no boot device found: Aloha,I am using a Dell Inspirion 3275, and when I turn on the computer it states there is no bootable device. What can I do to fix this. My computer is just old enough to be outside the warranty. Any solutions on how I can get my Windows 10 OS to boot?MahaloJustin...
  6. no boot device found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    no boot device found: Aloha,I am using a Dell Inspirion 3275, and when I turn on the computer it states there is no bootable device. What can I do to fix this. My computer is just old enough to be outside the warranty. Any solutions on how I can get my Windows 10 OS to boot?MahaloJustin...
  7. Boot Device not found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot Device not found: I know there has probably been this error before, but this is different, my HP pc has got an error about Boot Device not found right after i got the BSOD saying my memory was full or something, it turned off without doing the thing of it loading, i tried everything i found, I...
  8. Boot device not found

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot device not found: Hi, Yesterday I was on my laptop and then it suddenly crashed so I forced powered it off. When I tried to open it again it came up with a black screen saying: Boot device not found Please install and operating system on your hard disk. For more information, please...
  9. Restored Macrium Reflect 6.3 image will not boot 'boot disk not found'

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restored Macrium Reflect 6.3 image will not boot 'boot disk not found': Windows 10 Pro, Toshiba Satellite upgraded from OEM Win 8. Created system image w/ Macrium and restored it to a new second HD(HD2). Both drives had a lot of partitions due to Win 8 upgraded to Win 8.1 and back to Win 8 prior to upgrade to Win 10. The laptop will have either...
  10. Reflect Restore UEFI boot from USB problem!

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Reflect Restore UEFI boot from USB problem!: Resulting from a bad restore from restore point, I now must restore an image from an external drive currently connected by USB. The Reflect rescue/boot is on a flash drive that is currently plugged into the machine’s USB. The problem: figuring out from the F12...