Windows 10: Boot error after clean install to SSD, old HDD still attached

Discus and support Boot error after clean install to SSD, old HDD still attached in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys, i yesterday encountere a small problem. Inserted my new SSD to a SATA3 port and, next to my HDD 1TB, and went for a clean install right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tomas9991, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Tomas9991 Win User

Boot error after clean install to SSD, old HDD still attached

Hi guys,

i yesterday encountere a small problem. Inserted my new SSD to a SATA3 port and, next to my HDD 1TB, and went for a clean install right away. The system installed without problems (wiht the old HDD still attached), then i booted up the system (was a bit weird, because two versions were showing, however i formatted the old windows partition) and installed my programs. I saw that a 110 MB of data were still sitting on my old partition where the Windows 10 was earlier. Tried to delete those files but could not. However I shut down my pc and wanted to boot up again. Then it showed me a screen with "select proper boot device or restart computer". I went to BIOS to see if my SSD was set to primary boot device, but it was. But when i manaully select the boot device, my SSD, after starting up the computer, it boots into Windows and is running normally.

So can anyone pls tell me what to do. Can it be that there is no boot partition on my SSD and it wants to use the boot files from the HDD?? I also tried to unplug the HDD and boot up, but the same massage was showing up.
    But when i select the boot device manually it works.

Thx

:)

Tomas9991, Sep 22, 2015
  2. adam_keem Win User

Deleting one of the windows 10 os in the same ssd

Recently, i cloned my hdd(in the laptop) to my ssd(external). After that, i plug out my hdd from the laptop and install the ssd(hp 15-ab031ax)).Thenn i try to boot from the ssd, it says error code 0xc0000225. Directly after that, i plug my bootable usb and
    make a clean install of windows 10 on the ssd. The installation went all good and my laptop can boot normally. The problem is when i boot the laptop, it will ask me to choose from two windows 10 that it offers. The first choice of windows boot up normally
    but the second windows will go to the error code. My question is how can i delete the second os that still in the ssd ?

adam_keem, Sep 22, 2015
  3. hsd91 Win User
    Problem using both SSD and HDD on Windows 10

I wanted to upgrade to an SSD for Windows and programs, and use my old HDD for file storage.

I did a clean install of Windows 10 onto the SSD. The HDD was removed from the computer while I installed Windows. I booted up, installed a bunch of programs on the SSD, then turned the PC off. Then I reinstalled the old HDD. Windows did not recognize it
    at first, so I ran the troubleshooting tool, installed updates, and then Windows recognized it. Then I did a full non-quick format of the HDD followed by another quick format.

Now the HDD is showing 208 MB of used space after formatting. When I go to Disk Management, it shows System Reserved (D: ) is in the HDD.

Everything else is on the SSD (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition).

Did I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

hsd91, Sep 22, 2015
  4. no1yak Win User

no1yak, Sep 22, 2015
  5. Tomas9991 Win User
    Yeah, thx for the info, will check it as soon as I get home. But at first it was an upgrade from Win 8.1 on the HDD, yesterday it was a clean install, sadly with the HDD still attached to the mobo. Will check if the windows repair system works while only the SSD is plugged in. THX

Tomas9991, Sep 22, 2015
  6. Tomas9991 Win User
    I disconnected the HDD and used the Win 10 to create a bootable partition on my SSD, now it works fine. Hope it stays the same...

Thx

Tomas9991, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Boot error after clean install to SSD, old HDD still attached - Similar Threads - Boot error clean

2. Installed windows on new ssd and removed old hdd but won't boot after install and restart.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installed windows on new ssd and removed old hdd but won't boot after install and restart.: So I installed a windows 10 on a 250gig ssd. Everything worked fine and windows did its thing. I restarted the comp a few times and no issues. Decided to take out the old intel hdd from the Dell but after I did. It doesn't load from the ssd. I hit f12 to go into boot and...
  3. Installed windows on new ssd and removed old hdd but won't boot after install and restart.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installed windows on new ssd and removed old hdd but won't boot after install and restart.: So I installed a windows 10 on a 250gig ssd. Everything worked fine and windows did its thing. I restarted the comp a few times and no issues. Decided to take out the old intel hdd from the Dell but after I did. It doesn't load from the ssd. I hit f12 to go into boot and...
  4. Installed windows on new ssd and removed old hdd but won't boot after install and restart.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Clean install win10 on ssd and formating old hdd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install win10 on ssd and formating old hdd?: Hey fellow redditors! For the first time ever I will get myself a gaming pc, my brothers old pc. It has an HDD with Windows 10 and other stuff. I am planning to clean install the Windows on the SSD and remove/blank the HDD. I know how to install the Windows on the SSD. But...
  6. Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.

Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.: current setup: hdd running 1903 primary boot target: 1909 upgrade/clean install on ssd then primary boot 1903 still bootable on hdd secondary/backup boot in case of failures of any kind. how would i manage that without an optical which is being replaced by a tray caddy...
  7. Windows will not boot from SSD after reformatting old HDD

Windows will not boot from SSD after reformatting old HDD: Hi, I was running Win 10 on my old HDDs. I have successfully installed Win 10 on a new SSD and I was able to boot Windows on it. At startup, Win10 would prompt me if I wanted Win10 from Volume 1 (SSD) or from Volume 3 (old HDD). I migrated all of my contents to the SSD and...
  8. Added SSD for OS only but PC still trying to boot from old HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Added SSD for OS only but PC still trying to boot from old HDD: Hey, So I've recently bought an SSD Drive soley for the purpose of running Windows. The original Hard Drive was a 2TB Samsung drive that I have since formatted and using for Storage only. Installed Windows 10 on the SSD and the machine is working great, boots up in aound...
  9. Migrated to SSD - Windows thinks old HDD is still there!

Migrated to SSD - Windows thinks old HDD is still there!: So, migrated to Crucial SSD in wife's laptop, no problem. Boots in seconds - however when starting system restore, it thinks the old HDD is also still there. It is in configure, the new SSD is there fine, but it also shows the old HDD. I try to delete system restore on...
  10. Old HDD disappeared after installing SSD and Windows 10

Old HDD disappeared after installing SSD and Windows 10: Hey there! I had Windows 7 on a HDD and then I installed an SSD and windows 10 on it. It worked perfectly in the beginning with dual boot as I wanted! and then suddenly the old HDD with the windows 7 and everything on it disappeared!!! and the computer didn't want to start...