Windows 10: Boot failing on occasion, boots from drive that does not have OS

Discus and support Boot failing on occasion, boots from drive that does not have OS in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have 3 drives. A 60GB Intel SSD which my OS is installed on, a Samsung 120GB SSD which has just games, and a 1TB HDD for all my other media and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Civilian, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Civilian Win User

Boot failing on occasion, boots from drive that does not have OS

I have 3 drives. A 60GB Intel SSD which my OS is installed on, a Samsung 120GB SSD which has just games, and a 1TB HDD for all my other media and documents. A while back my power cut out and when trying to reboot it would fail until I tried booting from my 120GB SSD, which didn't make much sense as my OS is my 60GB Intel SSD. After that I had no issues for a long time until recently where my computer (after updating overnight is my guess) wasn't booting until I tried booting from my 1TB HDD, which confused me even more as again my OS is not installed on my HDD. And now I'm basically in a situation where my PC will boot every once in a while FROM the 1TB, today it wasn't booting from any drive for a while until I unplugged and replugged the SATA cables from all of them then tried again. Its a very confusing issue in my eyes, I have a backup of my OS on a hard drive and made a system repair disk for windows 10. I can give any additional information that I could possibly have if required, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

:)

Civilian, Jan 9, 2016

2. Can I install Windows 10 on any other than default drive(C)

On a Apple computer you can have a different OS on each drive and the power up bios shows all devices to boot

from. This means if C drive fails on a Apple you have all the other drives to use and has no effect on boot.

Microsoft for some insane reason still uses a 1960 "C" drive to boot from even today and if "C" drive fails it

bricks the entire computer.

The current new UEFI from Windows is a direct rip off of Apple EFI or **** boot Apple has used originally.

RichardGilbertson, Jan 9, 2016
  3. Cal54 Win User
    System Image Restore

Yes it can make a difference when using the GPT format on a drive it is made to use with UEFI and Boots in a different way not using MBR. But I have Installed on GPT before and just have to add the OS partition to the Master Boot record manually so it would
    boot.

When using a GPT formatted disk with a MBR system it is best used as storage and not for an OS.

I think the thing with MBR is if you make a boot record in the Master boot record that goes to a disk that does not have an OS or something that will not boot it will fail to boot.

Cal54, Jan 9, 2016
  4. Boot failing on occasion, boots from drive that does not have OS

Hello Civilian Welcome to the Ten Forums! And unfortunately as many have already seen the jumbles experienced with how the 10 installer works in contrast to what you have seen with previous versions of Windows. namely how 10 gets a little confused?

What happens with 10 where even when the OS drive is seen as Disk 0 in the Disk Management tool for example the 10 installer gets confused when other non OS drives are present while the upgrade or clean install takes place! The temp installation folders may end up on your 1tb drive for example while the boot files and mbr information goes to the 120gb SSD! Or vice versa seeing the temp folders there instead with the 1tb becoming the boot drive which is precisely the problem you are running into.

Now the two "Fast and Easy" solutions to correct this will require that you first unplug the 120gb SSD and the 1tb storage drive leaving only the 60gb SSD OS drive plugged in. Then you have the choice of the Reset PC recovery option to Recovery Drive with an 8gb flash drive being another option seen now with 10 for creating recovery media with all the repair tools.

The other alternative option for getting things fixed before contemplating the last resort of seeing a full fresh clean install go on still only having the 60gn plugged in by itself would be the Upgrade to Repair Install method explained in the guide seen at: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

That will provide the option to keep all files and most programs during the OS repair which should see the boot sector rewritten for you. The last resort option however if you don't have anything much on the drive at the moment and can spare the time for a fresh install of 10 would don't see just a partial repair and find yourself possibly still stuck at Square #1 but go for broke with the full clean install to insure the working results! That means everything else has to go on fresh from scratch all over again however but will insure the boot issue is resolved where you can then replug the other drives back in but also check the boot order in the bios setup to see that the 60gb is set as the default HD usually at the top of the list of drives there.

Night Hawk, Jan 9, 2016
Thema:

Boot failing on occasion, boots from drive that does not have OS

1. Boot failing on occasion, boots from drive that does not have OS - Similar Threads - Boot failing occasion

2. Windows seems to not fully boot correctly on occasion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows seems to not fully boot correctly on occasion: Desktop computer running windows 11 23H2 works fine most of the time but sometimes when i turn my computer on it boots normally but doesn't fully work or load things that normally load. Ex: file explorer works and opens but Microsoft edge wont open, or most other...
  3. Windows seems to not fully boot correctly on occasion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows seems to not fully boot correctly on occasion: Desktop computer running windows 11 23H2 works fine most of the time but sometimes when i turn my computer on it boots normally but doesn't fully work or load things that normally load. Ex: file explorer works and opens but Microsoft edge wont open, or most other...
  4. Cannot access OS or properly boot from Boot drive after a Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot access OS or properly boot from Boot drive after a Windows update: I updated Windows 11 last night, slept, woke up, and used it a little before going to work. When I got back, the PC was on, but on the BIOS screen instead of the desktop or lock screen. I tried to boot from my SSD to find that it wasn’t being shown as a boot drive in my BIOS,...
  5. Cannot access OS or properly boot from Boot drive after a Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot access OS or properly boot from Boot drive after a Windows update: I updated Windows 11 last night, slept, woke up, and used it a little before going to work. When I got back, the PC was on, but on the BIOS screen instead of the desktop or lock screen. I tried to boot from my SSD to find that it wasn’t being shown as a boot drive in my BIOS,...
  6. Drive, Boot, & OS Install Issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Drive, Boot, & OS Install Issues: Just bought my daughter a new laptop (Acer 5 Aspire). I've already exited S mode and now would like to take the 256GB SSD from her old HP laptop and install it in the Aspire as the boot drive instead of the installed 128GB PCIe NVMe SSD which I'll leave in place. The current...
  7. Computer having troubles booting into OS.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer having troubles booting into OS.: Hey guys, I bought a Medion Akoya P40000 from Aldi, it worked perfectly for the two years the warranty came with and now it's having problems, it has no longer got any warranty left and I am hoping that I can fix this myself. One day it went into sleep and didn't wake up, I...
  8. Change drive from where the OS Boots up

Change drive from where the OS Boots up: I have 3 drives C: ,D: , E: . Drive D: is on a external bay. Where I look at Disk Management I see for see ( Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) on the Disk, Drive D: (System, Active, Primary Partition), E: (Primary Partition) . If I remove D: the system doesn't...
  9. Dual Boot: how to hide a drive from primary drive/OS

Dual Boot: how to hide a drive from primary drive/OS: I have a fairly powerful work laptop with lots of IT/admin software loaded. I am unable to install any of my own apps, so bought a second drive, installed my own copy of win10 and run dual boot. Everything was fine. I’m guessing work saw the second drive though and found a...
  10. Switching the OS from one boot drive to the next

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Switching the OS from one boot drive to the next: I have two SSD's one an NVME M.2 and I want to switch the OS from my old one to my new one(NVME). Freeing up all the space in the old drive to put files on I need fast access to....