Windows 10: Boot failure, Windows won't boot from drive.

Discus and support Boot failure, Windows won't boot from drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I started my computer up today I got "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Tempt506, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Tempt506 Win User

Boot failure, Windows won't boot from drive.

When I started my computer up today I got "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key",restarting returns the same error, selecting the drive in BIOS and booting up does nothing. I burned "Bootable rescue disk - Windows 10" to a cd and ran Macrium Reflect to fix windows boot with no success. Checking the drive using C: Properties -> Tools -> Error checking didn't turn up any errors.

The only thing I can think of now is reinstalling windows 10 from a USB. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

Tempt506, Jul 25, 2017

2. Help! My Windows 10 Computer won't boot at all!

Aren't you trying to repair Windows 10 which you said won't boot? Well that is on a hard drive or SSD.

What exactly are you trying to boot? A flash stick or DVD? Is it a
    Windows 10 Recovery Drive
    or Windows 10 installation media? You can repair from either. But you need to get it booted. I gave you steps to try to get it booted. Then follow

Troubleshooting Windows 8 and 10 Failure to Start - Microsoft Community

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 25, 2017
  3. Help! My Windows 10 Computer won't boot at all!

Are you booting the media as a UEFI device if you have the UEFI firmware which replaced BIOS in modern PC's? It won't work otherwise.

In the UEFI firmware or BIOS setup you said you can get into, what are the settings for UEFI, CSM, Legacy BIOS, Secure Boot and the Boot order priority? It should be hard drive first for BIOS or Windows Boot Manager first for UEFI. Boot the media using
    only the
    BIOS Boot Menu Key.

Is the hard drive detected in BIOS setup anywhere? If not try reinstalling it. Try booting the media with it unplugged to see if it's blocking boot.

If it still won't boot correctly then
    Create Windows 10 Installation Media
    . Confirm it works in another PC. Try DVD if flash doesn't work.

If it still fails try unplugging the hard drive

Everything possible is here for
    Troubleshooting Windows 8 and 10 Failure to Start - Microsoft Community

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 25, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if you haven't done so, please download Kyhi's bootable disk from the top of the Software and Apps section here (maybe that's the one you have- I don't know).

Run HDTune from that disk to check your internal disk, and post a screenshot of the result.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon to the left of the video icon above your post

You need to be sure your disk is ok before proceeding. If it isn't, get a new one - you might wish to upgrade to a SSD.

If the disk is ok, you could also post a screenshot of the partitions using Minitool Partition Wizard on Kyhi's disk.

Do you use disk imaging? If you do, as we strongly and continually advise, you're fine and can recover without a clean install, even if you have to buy a new disk.

If not, then
    if you can still image your system partition ('C:'), then
    if your disk is ok, you can still make use of your existing system partition
    Note: if your disk is failing, attempting to image it may well fail with a CRC error

Here's how:
    1. Image your existing C:
    2. Reinstall the same major build of Win 10 on your existing disk - if good- else on a new disk
    3. Restore the image of your existing C: in place of the newly created C:
    4. Run Startup Repair

dalchina, Jul 25, 2017
  5. Maybe your MBR on boot disk is corrupted or your boot disk might not be the first one listed in BIOS disk boot order. Before you reinstall Windows, there is a bootrec command you could try to recover the MBR if that might be the problem, but you have to have a command prompt to run it. I think you run bootrec /? to see the available options for bootrec. It might be worth a try before you reinstall Windows.

mfmathis75, Jul 25, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jul 25, 2017
  7. Tempt506 Win User
    Here are the screenshots

Boot failure, Windows won't boot from drive. [​IMG]

Tempt506, Jul 25, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, actually it's the Health tab that's of interest:

(Hard Disk Sentinel gives a better indication, but is not on the disk)

I'm afraid I don't understand your Minitool screenshot. There's no drive letter, there should be more than one partition.

Yours is MBR (legacy BIOS) it seems, so will have fewer partitions than mine (shown as DISK 2).
    Ignore EFGH Disk 1.

If that's what is on your disk (as shown in your screenshot) it's not surprising it won't boot. Even the file system is shown as 'Other'.

dalchina, Jul 26, 2017
  9. Tempt506 Win User
    Here's the screenshot. Nothing else shows up on the minitool.

Tempt506, Jul 26, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Ok, your physical disk seems ok, but the content is the problem.

If you had a disk image, you could have restored that.

Without that my first thought is, should you not have backups, to attempt any data recovery you can, then clean install.

So you could, for example, in Minitool PW, try rt clicking the partition, explore, and see if there's anything readable.
    If that shows nothing, then you can try partition recovery tools.
    (E.g. Minitool PW, Disk, Partition recovery).

It may be your partition table has been damaged.

dalchina, Jul 26, 2017
  11. Tempt506 Win User
    This turned up from a full scan using the minitool

Tempt506, Jul 26, 2017
  12. Tempt506 Win User
    This is from a quick scan

Should I try to restore the top partition (1863.02 GB)?

Tempt506, Jul 26, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

From the last, these look like
    Recovery (rather small)
    EFI
    C:
    Recovery

You can easily verify C: as you can double click to explore it... try that.

It is possible to have two Recovery partitions, only one being in use.

If so, yours is a UEFI configuration - is that correct?
    However it's listed as MBR (I don't know if that's just misleading at this stage).

But there should be a 16Mb System partition and that's not apparent.

Example- my UEFI partitions

-----------------------------------------
    This is what I see if I explore my 100Mb EFI partition

And Recovery

If you can recover C: and image it to another disk using Macrium Reflect, there is a way to completely recover your PC even if the 16Mb partition is missing. I would take the opportunity to create that image as soon as you can.

You can also try recovering all the partitions I've mentioned, then running Macrium Fixboot on the disk.

dalchina, Jul 27, 2017
  14. Tempt506 Win User
    Alright I explored the partitions, the first one has a size of 300 MB that says Recovery on the label.
    300 MB

99.00 MB

1862.06 GB Which is C:

449.00 MB

Tempt506, Jul 27, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    If you're happy with restoring those, go ahead. Take due precautions- image C: as soon as you have the chance.

And remember- you're looking for a 16Mb partition, else your PC won't boot. I believe you have enough information to proceed from what I've posted above at least to the point of using Macrium's Fix Boot utility e.g. from Kyhi's boot disk or Macrium's boot medium.

dalchina, Jul 27, 2017
Thema:

1. Boot failure, Windows won't boot from drive. - Similar Threads - Boot failure won't

2. Windows Boot Failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Boot Failure: I have my own "gaming" pc that runs on windows 10 OS but lately when I turn it on it won't boot to windows. Normally I can fix this buy doing a system restore to a few days ago and I can run the pc but now it won't even take my microsoft password to let me reset it. Does...
  3. Boot failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot failure: Hello Microsoft communityI have been facing issues with the startup, it doesn’t start upLaptop: Alienware 17 R5 i7 1. It’s also not going into auto repair modeI have added screenshotsPlease help in fixing this issuesThanks...
  4. Booting failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting failure: My PC was booting and brings black with curser and i gave someone to fix for me but he changed active partition and other things which i'm not familiar with and now it wont boot and it only opens into boot menu Please can you me to get solution also if the solution will need...
  5. Windows Boot Failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Boot Failure: I encountered a problem booting Windows 10 a few days ago and have been working to correct it, with no luck so far. I'm using a Win10 installation media USB stick to boot, and am trying to fix the main disk from there. However, there is no volume listed for the primary SSD...
  6. Windows boot manager boot failure

Windows boot manager boot failure: Upon every start I am getting the message that the windows boot failed, and put a recovery disk. Pressing f8 or any other key doesn't do anything while I attempt to restart the machine. Somebody please advise. Thanks....
  7. Boot Failure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot Failure: Hi i have been having a boot failure at startup and a message saying to install disk to repair the problem. but i lost my installation disk a while back . I think i had ordered a copy of my instillation disk but i cant remember where it was from. If anyone can offer some...
  8. Retrieving Data From Drive That Won't Boot

Retrieving Data From Drive That Won't Boot: The SSD drive on my computer will no longer boot windows. Windows tried all the built in repair tools it has but couldn't repair it. However, I have been able to boot my pc from a usb pen drive and can access the drive, which seems to be working fine. I'd been intending to...
  9. Cloned Boot Drive won't boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned Boot Drive won't boot: Update: Whilst typing up all that I’d done so far, I managed to solve it, but posting anyway in case of help to others. Apologies in advance for being a newbie and the probably obvious mistakes made here. I had a Windows 10 Pro install on a 128GB SSD. It was full so I...
  10. USB recovery boot drive won't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB recovery boot drive won't boot: I wasn't sure which forum to put this into. I created a backup image on a usb hard drive. I wanted to be able to restore it using a usb recovery thumb drive. I used the create usb recovery tool and created the recovery flash drive. When I try to boot from the flash drive I...