Windows 10: Boot From CD in Windows 10

Discus and support Boot From CD in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone,I need to run Windows Defender Offline,which I have downloaded to a CD,but can't for the life of me boot from this CD? I know I need to go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oodleflip58, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Boot From CD in Windows 10

Hi everyone,I need to run Windows Defender Offline,which I have downloaded to a CD,but can't for the life of me boot from this CD?
    I know I need to go into BIOS,then to the Boot option at the top,but that's where I get stuck!!
    So what do I do in here please to enable the system to boot from the CD?

:)

oodleflip58, Jun 13, 2016
  2. NickK_667 Win User

ISO file doesn't boot

I have a new laptop with Windows 8.1, which I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10. I selected "for another device" and downloaded the ISO file, which I burned to a cd-rom.

When Windows 8.1 boots I hit enter and try to select the cd-rom player to boot from. However, it doesn't go; it doesn't select the option to boot from the cd-rom. Perhaps the cd-rom isn't bootable...? What to do?

NickK_667, Jun 13, 2016
  3. Pc won't boot from CD

I have a cd with Windows 10 installed and my pc won't boot from it,i did select the dvd from the bios but still it won't boot it will only say press any keys to boot from cd but if i press it will load my current os

Francesco Miracolo, Jun 13, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

Boot From CD in Windows 10

If you provide the exact model of your motherboard, you may receive better help.

You can change the boot order in the BIOS settings. However, my personal preference is to use the hotkey to choose the boot device on a one time basis. With an Asus motherboard, it may be the esc (escape) key. On older Asus boards, I believe that it was the F8 function key.

bobkn, Jun 14, 2016
  5. Hi,I've no idea of the exact model of my Asus motherboard,nor how/where to find this I'm afraid,I'm not a 'teccie' at all.
    I still can't work out how to change the boot order either when I get into BIOS?

oodleflip58, Jun 14, 2016
  6. Kyhi Win User
    set the DVD device as your first boot device - thus the HDD (windows Boot Manager) as the second boot device

7. alphanumeric, Jun 14, 2016
  8. Boot From CD in Windows 10

Well you can change the boot order of your drives but if the drive on top of the order isn't bootable it's going to skip to the next drive in the order. What do you mean by running defender offline? I'm not sure Defender is a bootable app. If the problem is you need to scan files that are open when Windows boots most Anti Virus software have the ability to do scans in safe mode. Safe mode is a semi boot where alot of the programs that open automatically when Windows boots aren't open.

orlbuckeye, Jun 14, 2016
  9. bobkn Win User
    There are a number of freeware utilities available that tell you what you mainboard is. CPU-Z is one.

CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID

I still suggest picking the boot device on a one-time basis rather than changing the boot order in the BIOS (or UEFI) settings.

bobkn, Jun 14, 2016
  10. erhuip Win User
    It has been my experience that the CD Rom Drive, and even the A: Drive if you even have one, are already ahead of the HD in the boot order. So if you cannot boot from the CD chances are it is not an ISO bootable CD. Confirm that from your download site. Also, do you have a different CD you know is bootable, like a Rescue disk from your antivirus or malware provider that you can try ?

erhuip, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Boot From CD in Windows 10

1. Boot From CD in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Boot

2. Fresh Windows 11 only works on first boot, if I restart I am not able to open any applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh Windows 11 only works on first boot, if I restart I am not able to open any applications: I fresh installed windows 11 and it works immediately, but if I reboot my system it will only allow me about 3 seconds before all functions stop working. The computer works in safe mode/scannow comes up with no issuesI get a list of DCOM errors that are not resolved with...
  3. Fresh Windows 11 only works on first boot, if I restart I am not able to open any applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh Windows 11 only works on first boot, if I restart I am not able to open any applications: I fresh installed windows 11 and it works immediately, but if I reboot my system it will only allow me about 3 seconds before all functions stop working. The computer works in safe mode/scannow comes up with no issuesI get a list of DCOM errors that are not resolved with...
  4. My pc boots up with the wrong ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc boots up with the wrong ssd: I built my pc and installed a 1tb ssd and downloaded windows 11 on the 1tb ssd then I bought a 2tb ssd. When I installed the new 2tb ssd I removed the old 1tb ssd and installed windows on the new 2tb then I plug back the old 1tb ssd. I have both on my pc now. I turn on my pc...
  5. My pc boots up with the wrong ssd

My pc boots up with the wrong ssd: I built my pc and installed a 1tb ssd and downloaded windows 11 on the 1tb ssd then I bought a 2tb ssd. When I installed the new 2tb ssd I removed the old 1tb ssd and installed windows on the new 2tb then I plug back the old 1tb ssd. I have both on my pc now. I turn on my pc...
  6. Default audio device resetting to default when system boots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default audio device resetting to default when system boots: Headset - Steel series arctis 1 wirelessThe headset has a number of options for audio output chat, gaming, speakersTo allow me to hear people in discord and use them as general sound output it has to be set to speakers headset speakers when booting the system the audio output...
  7. Default audio device resetting to default when system boots

Default audio device resetting to default when system boots: Headset - Steel series arctis 1 wirelessThe headset has a number of options for audio output chat, gaming, speakersTo allow me to hear people in discord and use them as general sound output it has to be set to speakers headset speakers when booting the system the audio output...
  8. Enabling driver verifier causes BSOD boot loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling driver verifier causes BSOD boot loop: I have a sneaking suspicion that one or some of my drivers are acting up. I tried turning on driver verifier on all non-microsoft drivers, which caused a BSOD loop irql-not-less-or-equal. I have tried:- checking device manager for erroring drivers- DISM- Turned off all...
  9. Enabling driver verifier causes BSOD boot loop

Enabling driver verifier causes BSOD boot loop: I have a sneaking suspicion that one or some of my drivers are acting up. I tried turning on driver verifier on all non-microsoft drivers, which caused a BSOD loop irql-not-less-or-equal. I have tried:- checking device manager for erroring drivers- DISM- Turned off all...
  10. After disabling my Intergrated GPU in my BIOS, my fans keeps resetting and my cpu dosent boot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After disabling my Intergrated GPU in my BIOS, my fans keeps resetting and my cpu dosent boot.: My PC has suddenly stopped starting up. On checking with case open, the CPU fan starts running when the power is turned on, but it stops after about 2-3 seconds, restarts again after about 2-3 seconds and the loop is repeated. There is no beep and nothing appears on the...